United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Dasilvatwins

Default Overreaction or epiphany

Its been a few days since the derby loss and emotions are no longer running high.

There have been calls for drastic changes, however united did win their first 4(including community shield) games, so maybe the calls are not warranted. Does jose need to bin rooney ,fellani (both obvious yes's), valencia,and blind. Or does he need to see out a few games?

Personally a midfield 3 of pogbs herrera and schnderlin is required,but i wouldnt be too down hearted if he went back to square one with mata rooney martial
Ibra

Fergie always said the biggest thing to come from a response is the next game. I think it is vital united dick feyenoord on thursday to gather some momentum

Unread 14-09-2016, 10:22 AM
believe

You seem to have answered all your questions.

Unread 14-09-2016, 10:23 AM
dunk

It was a narrow defeat to one of our major competitors for a top 4 spot, with a slightly undercooked side containing 4 new players, 2 making their first starts under a new manager and system.

Yes the first 30 minutes were grim, but they'll learn from it.

Worth noting that Mkhitaryan did his thigh in again during the game and is now out for 3 weeks, rushed back..

Unread 14-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
You seem to have answered all your questions.
Trying to get other peoples thoughts and get a discussion going...this is a forum after all

Unread 14-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Harri Jaffa

Thumbs up

Don't worry, emotions will be sky high again after we lose 2-1 to Feynoord

Unread 14-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Bunker Buster

Completely over it, it's Wednesday..... Early September, we'll lose other games this season...

On to Rotterdam....hoping for a result and some time for certain fringe players...

Unread 14-09-2016, 10:40 AM
sa7

City were very, very good and we were very, very poor.

However the lads dug deep, got themselves back in it through sheer will and were in the game right up to the final whistle. The attitude of the players was very good.

We've a new spine to the team and they're still learning each other's game. Also the manager is still learning about the characters and strengths of his players.

Unlike the last few years I'm confident that we can suffer a setback like this and then go on and put 5 or 6 back-to-back wins together. Obviously it's not nice losing to those mongs but games like that can help to put a spotlight on areas where we can make improvements (certainly more so than easily beating a useless Southampton side).

Unread 14-09-2016, 10:47 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Completely over it, it's Wednesday..... Early September, we'll lose other games this season...

On to Rotterdam....hoping for a result and some time for certain fringe players...
this.

I'm just gonna enjoy this season.
Saturday was a @#%&!, but at least it wasn't boring.

I won't get to see the game tomorrow sadly but the team selection will be interesting.
This Thursday/Sunday era is gonna take some getting use to.

re original post(er) - it isn't necessary to add a little 'hate caveat' to the mention of Rooney's name you know. EVERY SINGLE TIME

Unread 14-09-2016, 10:56 AM
TheFatGoth

Unread 14-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
this.

I'm just gonna enjoy this season.
Saturday was a c***, but at least it wasn't boring.

I won't get to see the game tomorrow sadly but the team selection will be interesting.
This Thursday/Sunday era is gonna take some getting use to.

re original post(er) - it isn't necessary to add a little 'hate caveat' to the mention of Rooney's name you know. EVERY SINGLE TIME
Genuinly did not realise i did that. I must really despise him

Unread 14-09-2016, 11:05 AM
jem

you could say it was an overreaction to losing to a city team without their best player and with a joke goalkeeping debut that people are saying we need to ditch fellaini and rooney, play a 3-man midfield, mkhitaryan was injured, etc.

but, in order to do that, you would have to ignore everything that was said before the game. and a lot of what has been said for.... um.... well, years, actually.

Unread 14-09-2016, 11:10 AM
believe

I think the overreaction came in the four games prior to City.

Unread 14-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Clarkie

Meh. Like any defeat it hurts but, still extremely early in the season and we've lost bigger derbies than this, in more embarrassing circumstances.

The manager and the players will learn from this, there'll be a reaction, we'll win the next four and we'll be in great shape going into the winter/Christmas period

Unread 14-09-2016, 12:27 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Meh. Like any defeat it hurts but, still extremely early in the season and we've lost bigger derbies than this, in more embarrassing circumstances.

The manager and the players will learn from this, there'll be a reaction, we'll win the next four and we'll be in great shape going into the winter/Christmas period
I hope you're right, but..... really.... what is there to learn about playing fellaini and pogba in a 2-man midfield? there might be a reaction in the sense that people will run around more and close down more, but it won't make them pass accurately or have more positional discipline or make better decisions.

the most disappointing thing about the derby was the unbelievable stupidity of what mourinho was trying to do.

Unread 14-09-2016, 03:32 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I hope you're right, but..... really.... what is there to learn about playing fellaini and pogba in a 2-man midfield?
That he shouldn't do it again?

Unread 14-09-2016, 05:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I think the overreaction came in the four games prior to City.
Probably, but it's to be expected. Great thing about pre-season and early wins is the optimism flows. Few United fans making a little too much of scrappy wins over Hull, but at the same time no need for an overreaction to Saturday.

Only just watched the game and it was pretty abysmal stuff, but this is still a team in transition. No real authority at the back, a very dubious midfield pairing and an aging strike pairing. Plus Mourinho certainly made a mess of selection and gameplan.

City look much further ahead in their progress, as Guardiola seems to have got his message across quickly, but there's so much obvious development for United to go through that you'd hope we'll be better in the second half of the season, and then next year.

Unread 14-09-2016, 05:25 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
this is still a team in transition.

you got me

Unread 14-09-2016, 05:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

you got me

Well given that I dearly hope Rooney, Fellaini and maybe even Zlat are not in the side next season, I'd like to think so. The lack of authority at the back is still an issue. Presumably Blind will make way for a more experienced head before long.

Unread 14-09-2016, 06:17 PM
believe

So basically, Jose needs three years.

Unread 14-09-2016, 06:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
So basically, Jose needs three years.
It's a process.
Closed Thread