United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Think he'd be more confident of more attacking football if we had one decent defender tbh
Shaw Rojo and Blind are decent IMO. Rafael debatable but rarely fit.

He also has Carrick and Blind to protect the defence, plus the vast majority of teams in this league are shit anyway so it shouldn't be much of a concern tbh.

4-3 > 0-0.

Unread 14-01-2015, 04:35 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Can't argue with that. I do wonder if part of the reason he's stuck with the system is because we had pretty decent unbeaten run, and he was reluctant to bin it off even though we've never really looked comfortable with it.

If anything good comes out of Sunday, it should surely have given him a bit of impetus to shake things up a bit. Be that ditching three at the back, or changing how we're set up going forward.
Agreed. I understand someone having a vision and being resolute about delivering it. The danger is that if you're so committed, it becomes blinding. He'll impress me the most if he can adapt and show some flexibility whilst still delivering his overall objectives.

Unread 14-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Nani

Not sure regarding the thread.....

However utd have got about 6/7 matches to sort top 4 out. Win most of them matches we'll be ok. However once we get into March/April we have some pretty tough matches so wouldn't want to be involved in a scrap by then.

Unread 14-01-2015, 05:36 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Lvg's defence counsel on here keep referring to it all being a 'process' because lvg is apparently the first manager in history who requires time, and quite a bit of it, to implement his own style. Fair enough but their refusal to accept that some improvements should by now be being realised is a tad galling given how quick critisism has been forthcoming in the past. some of the substitutions and positional instructions for some of our players is equally baffling but again, it's just part of the 'process'.

The issue that gets me though is the lack of logic in lvg introducing a system that the current playing staff seem either ill equipped or incapable of performing. There simply isn't any point in introducing a system that doesn't work even if theoretically it's the right system to adopt. Get the players you need or shape the current lot appropriately before you introduce it ffs.

People talked about us being capable of winning the league this season. Given the stumbling that the top two are capable of - that's undoubtedely true - but not a chance if we continue to play like we have been doing or use a system that seemingly strangles our inventive players.

I'm still an lvg advocate and my critisism is simply that, it's not a call for his head ffs. But I might start referring to the dropped 'tony hart's Morph' headed @#%&! in more derogatory terms if it doesn't improve.
Van Gaal is one of the most tactically astute coaches in the game. We're talking about a manager who dominated Europe with a bunch of kids playing a system that he himself invented. A manager who transformed the way Bayern play and laid the foundation for the team they became. Not to mention took Holland deeper into the World Cup than expected largely based on a tactical gameplan.

The idea that there's no logic or reason to his decision to play the current system, especially when he's shown a ready willingness to change during this season, is a bit much, surely? It may not make sense to you or me, but if it makes sense to van Gaal we should trust there's at least some merit to it.

The demands of a back three system on the defenders are similar to those demands LvG requires of a defender in a back four. We'll play a high line and the defenders will be expected to regroup quickly, cover big spaces and take responsibility on the ball.

After the Leicester debacle, remember the game at WBA? Played a back four, high up the pitch, dominated the game, but sliced open with absolute ease by Berahimo. Given the improvements to our defensive record with three back there, surely the system hasn't emphasised their individual limitations, but helped ease them into a new style. He's pushing them, but allowing for mistakes.

I think the composition of the attack, with the staunch loyalty to RvP and Rooney's positional change, is a bigger issue. The decision to put Di Maria off the front man and leave Falcao out was an indication to me that LvG sees the static nature of a Falcao-RvP partnership as perhaps a more pressing factor in our dodgy football.

Unread 14-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Doctor Hver

Lets give Van Gaal at least time to fail making top 4 until we pull the triger. at least we give Moyes that time.

Unread 14-01-2015, 07:12 PM
red in cumbria

We expect more from Big Louis, though.

Unread 14-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Stickman

MJ and Keith nailing it as per.
Closed Thread