United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-03-2017, 06:14 PM
92ToBury

Dad was a Sale Red, Mum's side from Salford and Reds, so I was guaranteed to be brought up properly.

Unread 18-03-2017, 06:37 PM
believe

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Dad was a Sale Red, Mum's side from Salford and Reds, so I was guaranteed to be brought up properly.
What happened?

Unread 18-03-2017, 06:42 PM
originalhogg

United, took me to my first game, Southampton oct 85, part of the 10 game unbeaten run I think, was all also an Altrincham fc fan, which these days has gone down the pan...

Unread 18-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Bunker Buster

Irish, cockney Chelsea fan.....

Did take me to my first united game though,

My mums side is the red side...

Grandad worked at the programme printers since the 40's and mum was a regular at old Trafford.

Unread 18-03-2017, 07:13 PM
zanzare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
the 48 team. and the babes. 1st took me in the mid 70s but hated the doc. then refused to go at all and started taking me to cricket in the 80s ... knew nothing of me getting chased by police horses and bricking trains etc. probably for the best.
My old fella had an obsessional hatred of United, back in the sixties and even worse in later life.
One monday had come home from my apprentice job for tea, @#%&! calls me in from the kitchen, " these are your animal fans, look at the bastards".
He's only watching police(?) footage of our day out at Norwich on Granada. Shit my keks as I looked on, but luckily we all looked the same so not much chance of seeing me if I even made the screen.
As it finished and the usual anti United diatrabe started I turned back to the kitchen to return to my tea, "thanks for that, would have missed it if you hadn't called me"
Didn't know the word "seethe" back then, but it would have been fitting.

Unread 18-03-2017, 07:46 PM
eusker

My Grandad was a big football fan. His team was called Third Lanark and they went bust in the 60s. He was always banging on about Matt Busby's United when I was a kid. He played football in the army during the war and met a lot of the pros when they had exhibition matches.

My Dad was taken to loads of matches, including the Real Madrid v's Eintracht Frankfurt European Cup Final but was never that arsed. He went to Utd a bit in the late 60s when he worked at Trafford Park and used to take me in the early 80s when I was about 10. Never goes now and isn't even fussed to watch it on telly.

Unread 19-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Marlon Van Baron

My old man was a Brentford fan, but wasn't really in to football. For my first live game he took me to Griffin Park for Brentford v Plymouth which was the last game of the season. Even though the 🐝 won 3-1 I was already United obsessed and going to Brentford never changed that. Although I have maintained a soft spot for Brentford every since and occasionally take my two young sons just to get a game in for them.

Unread 19-03-2017, 08:44 AM
lenin

United. As did his old man and my grandad on my mums side. We had one solitary blue in the family, a distant uncle who married in. Even both his dons were reds despite his best efforts.

The bloodline was pure until my sister started going out with a blue. He's got my nephews wearing Barcelona and City shirts in an insidious attempt to corrupt the youth. Only one seems to have fallen for it and the daft little shit is United one week and City the next.

He'll learn or his twin brother will beat it out of him.

Unread 19-03-2017, 09:26 AM
denis lawless

I was the first member of my family to set foot inside OT.....dad only had a passing interest in football and no allegiances .....first football match he took me to was Bury v Watford mid 70s....all I remember is it finished 1-0 not sure who to and eating a bag of aniseed balls.

I took him to see city v widzew lodz ....Boniek scored twice and a Bertie tried to punch him after he scored a pen....Boniek, not my dad. .....dont think my dad enjoyed the terrace avalanches in the kippax which were commonplace in those days.

My mum went to OT once......for a huge choir practise prior to JP2 papal vist

Unread 19-03-2017, 04:28 PM
red in cumbria

My "pure bloodline " was spoiled by the sister deciding to support Leeds as an act of youthful rebellion

Unread 19-03-2017, 05:22 PM
stax

Utd. He was from Hartlepool originally but always followed Utd. Took me to Old Trafford in the early 70s from Cumbria. Loved those trips as a kid, the match followed by chips at Forton services on the way back . He's 80 this year.
Closed Thread