United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:32 PM
marlo

Default Re: Fergie - I won't splash the cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
We're so £#%&!ing spoilt and selfish tbh. Expecting the money the club makes to be spent on the team. It should be hoarded into one big pile so the glazers can swim in it, like scrooge mcduck in the opening titles of "duck tales."

Unread 09-06-2010, 07:34 AM
skcollob

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhogg
Was going to post the same, couple of city supporters at work, talk like money is no object, which to them it aint, but its everything thats making me go off football more and more these days.....I'd like us to see a make a couple of signings, maybe a midfielder and striker, but nothing to crass....wouldnt mind seeing Aug 95 happening all over again tbh...
Nowadays they'd be sold after a couple of seasons for top dollar and we'd be bringing in "more experience" on a free.

Unread 09-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Terry Silver

"In the market today it's very difficult and the structure of our squad is good in terms of ages, the balance, the numbers and there's a lot of good young players."

VDS, Neville, Giggs, Scholes, Owen aren't THAT young.

Then you've got the players who probably need replacing (Carrick, Berba)

And the ones with chronic injury problems (Rio, Hargreaves)

Nearly half the first team squad.

Unread 09-06-2010, 07:57 AM
waynes ear's

Everyone should renew so fergie has cash to spend on new players

Unread 09-06-2010, 08:16 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
Ridiculous isn't it? Just a bunch of JCL's expecting investment into the team. Get behind the team, and don't complain about anything.

There's no evidence that the debt is affecting the club's transfer activity.
Agreed. Can't wait for all our academy and reserve players to become great players over the next 2 years....oh wait, we'll be lucky if one even becomes a squad player, as none will get much game time as Fergie relys on the older players week in week out.

If Fergie isn't gonna spend any money we'll struggle to do much next season so why not give these 'future great' players games? I'd rather see us have a crack at it with younger players than rely on old players every week.

Unread 09-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Fountz

Default I love Fergie, but..

..I'd be very interested to see what his salary+bonuses are now compared to the PLC days.

I'd imagine a few bob more in his bank account goes a fair way to placating his frustration at a lack of funds..

..just a theory.

Unread 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM
waynes ear's

And the "sir" tag

Unread 09-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Sullingtons

Glazer (Private): "There is no money for transfers."

Gill (Public): "There is money for transfers."

Ferie (Public): "We don't need money for transfers."

It's a very simple communications strategy. It will remain that way for the foreseeable future with 'drip-fed' transfers being used to cull complete antipathy.

(Sullingtons, 2010)

Unread 09-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Agreed. Can't wait for all our academy and reserve players to become great players over the next 2 years....oh wait, we'll be lucky if one even becomes a squad player, as none will get much game time as Fergie relys on the older players week in week out.

If Fergie isn't gonna spend any money we'll struggle to do much next season so why not give these 'future great' players games? I'd rather see us have a crack at it with younger players than rely on old players every week.
A lot of people seem to be hoping that no one else improves so that 2nd place is in the bag, but football doesn't work like that. Europe will probably be even more difficult.

Unread 09-06-2010, 10:07 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullingtons

It's a very simple communications strategy. It will remain that way for the foreseeable future with 'drip-fed' transfers being used to cull complete antipathy.

(Sullingtons, 2010)
This.

Unread 09-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullingtons

(Sullingtons, 2010)

Unread 09-06-2010, 10:37 AM
The Return of JC

I actually do agree that the squad doesn't need a massive overhaul, no money or not. We finished a point off the pace last season with an unprecedented defensive crisis and adjusting to the loss of our best player.

However, it's the 'no value in the market' line that annoys me the most. There's as much as there's ever been, give or take. It's a fall-back line to say that we're looking, but if we fail to get them, it will be our choice.

Benzema last season was a good example. We wanted him, he chose Madrid. Fergie said we had a maximum valuation and wouldn't go above it.

Balls!

He was the No 1 summer target and we had £80m to spend. If that money was there, I'm sure we could've stretched to another £5m or so.

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Redordead

I personally agree we shouldnt be spending over the odds on some players, I dont feel there is value in the market place and will trust SAF if he says we are ok.

I maybe wrong and not a top red but I will trust in SAF -

However what gives me concern is why we dont buy younger payers - eg 30 million on 5 top prospects. Like when he got evra and vidic.

we have smalling and Hernadez which I think is great but get another 3 or 4.

I also think cole on a free should be done as a squad strengthener. I would also hope that reserve /youth players get a chance this season not kept out by the ageing legends.

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Sullingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
More this tbh

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:56 AM
believe

more this tbh

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Sullingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
more this tbh

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:04 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I actually do agree that the squad doesn't need a massive overhaul, no money or not. We finished a point off the pace last season with an unprecedented defensive crisis and adjusting to the loss of our best player.

However, it's the 'no value in the market' line that annoys me the most. There's as much as there's ever been, give or take. It's a fall-back line to say that we're looking, but if we fail to get them, it will be our choice.

Benzema last season was a good example. We wanted him, he chose Madrid. Fergie said we had a maximum valuation and wouldn't go above it.

Balls!

He was the No 1 summer target and we had £80m to spend. If that money was there, I'm sure we could've stretched to another £5m or so.
Benzema was only interested in going to Madrid, end of.

We could have offered any amount of money and RM would have happily gazumped it, safe in the knowledge of their effectively unlimited funding stream from HM Spanish Government (and as I said, he *wanted* them, not us - maybe he feels differently now??)

More worrying was that we seemed to have no "Plan B" once he went there, save signing a past it crock on a free

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Tumescent Throb

i'm interested to know exactly where some of you think the line should be drawn in terms of transfer fees paid by united.

i'm interested also in those who like to bang on about how United is part of the community and how it belongs to the fans: how much do you think united players should be bought for? how much do you think they should be paid? what stance would you like united to take in the current economic market?

ignoring the football manager types, some of you are a worry. united had a wage structure set in place that has only been broken in recent times. do you really want that to just keep spiralling up and up and up?

the problem here is that the bitterness surrounding the ownership is preventing sensible and rational thinking on the club's transfer policy. and it's certainly preventing sensible debate on the subject in the public arena. everyone is desperately banging the 'lack of investment' drum instead of looking at the true situation.

united have a squad of high quality players, most of whom are winners. there are issues with the age of the squad, but Giggs, Scholes and VDS remain 3 of the very best players in their positions in the league, and in any league for that matter. there are problems with injury-prone players too, but that's life. there are questions to be answered about the young players coming through as well. seems a shame that one of those questions seems to be whether they should even be given a chance. then again, when you've got £80m burning a hole in your pocket...

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:49 PM
believe

is throb David Gill?

Unread 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i'm interested to know exactly where some of you think the line should be drawn in terms of transfer fees paid by united. - I think we should pay whatever we have to, to get the players we need.

i'm interested also in those who like to bang on about how United is part of the community and how it belongs to the fans: how much do you think united players should be bought for? how much do you think they should be paid? what stance would you like united to take in the current economic market? - I think all most supporters want is for the money they put into the club is spent on improving the team and facilities for everyday loyal supporters, and not corporate £#%&!ers.

ignoring the football manager types, some of you are a worry. united had a wage structure set in place that has only been broken in recent times. do you really want that to just keep spiralling up and up and up? - What like the ticket prices? I don't care what united's wage bill is - as long as we're paying quality footballers and not shite ones. They're not going to knock any money off season tickets because they're saving on the £#%&!ing wage bill by signing crap.

the problem here is that the bitterness surrounding the ownership is preventing sensible and rational thinking on the club's transfer policy. and it's certainly preventing sensible debate on the subject in the public arena. everyone is desperately banging the 'lack of investment' drum instead of looking at the true situation. - That is the 'true' situation, you myopic fool. You're playing devil's advocate again, like you always do. Don't worry, the penny will eventually drop with you. It's taken most people this long after the ronaldo transfer to finally 'get it' as well.

united have a squad of high quality players, most of whom are winners. there are issues with the age of the squad, but Giggs, Scholes and VDS remain 3 of the very best players in their positions in the league, and in any league for that matter. So we shouldn't bother trying to find replacements then? When should we look? When they're 40? When giggs is on a zimmerframe? Or are we just waiting and praying that kids from the academy will all be up to it sooner rather than later?

there are problems with injury-prone players too, but that's life. there are questions to be answered about the young players coming through as well. seems a shame that one of those questions seems to be whether they should even be given a chance. then again, when you've got £80m burning a hole in your pocket...Well we haven't got it, have we. that's the issue. It's gone, swallowed up into the chasm of debt. Just as the vast majority of our income.
Closed Thread