United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Default Re: United to pay for Albert Scanlon's funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
Yeah I'd generally agree with that. But like everything there should be the exceptions. Les was only in his early/mid 40s when he died. Far too young. That was the particular tragedy in his case and imho deserved an exception to be made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I agree with that last sentiment but not where Les Sealey was concerned.

If he'd not been around to replace the comical Leighton in the 1990 replay we could easily have lost. Would Fergie have stayed? Who knows, but Sealey was a key figure in Fergie's first cup win and thus the rest of the success that followed. And has been said he was only 40-odd.
You sound like you've been ripped off.

So a middle aged man who turned out for United 20 odd times dies suddenly - respect surely, but a minute's silence and arm bands may be stretching it a bit on the basis it should really be reserved for all time greats. Otherwise the tribute becomes the norm - something that's routine.

Is he more deserving than a groundsman say who did 40 odd years on a small wage but never missed a day?

We're becoming grief monkeys - we have to be "seen" to be doing the "right thing" - whatever that is.

Unread 06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Part 36 Offer

about £#%&!ing time the £#%&!ing stingey @#%&!s

LUHG

Unread 06-01-2010, 03:00 PM
believe

I only hope they remember CL medal holder Jonathon Greening when his times comes.

Unread 06-01-2010, 03:34 PM
In 76 now this is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
about £#%&!ing time
:shakehead: They couldnt have exactly paid for it before he died could they?

Unread 06-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge

Is he more deserving than a groundsman say who did 40 odd years on a small wage but never missed a day?
Yes he is. Silly comparison really. It takes special talent to play for Manchester United and he had a direct hand in winning two major trophies.

Your other points are valid but that one isn't.

Unread 06-01-2010, 03:42 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by In 76 now this is true
:shakehead: They couldnt have exactly paid for it before he died could they?
Many do.

Unread 06-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Yes he is. Silly comparison really. It takes special talent to play for Manchester United and he had a direct hand in winning two major trophies.

Your other points are valid but that one isn't.
And neither's that one - you are taking your Presidency of the Worldwide Guardians of the Posts Club a bit too far here.

Unread 06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Grimson

Quote:
And neither's that one - you are taking your Presidency of the Worldwide Guardians of the Posts Club a bit too far here.

Les Sealey didn't play for Manchester United? It doesn't matter that he was a goalkeeper, it matters that he was a player. And it doesn't matter how good or not good he may have been.

All I'm saying is that yes, any player is more deserving of a public (i.e. for the sake of the fans) tribute than any flippin' groundskeeper, because people don't follow football clubs because of groundskeepers. The Old Trafford pitch has been just about the worst in the top flight for ages anyway.

Unread 06-01-2010, 04:39 PM
forzagarza

Most people at Old Trafford pay their respects by having 90 minute silences without having to be instructed by some @#%&! with a microphone

Unread 06-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Johnaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Most people at Old Trafford pay their respects by having 90 minute silences without having to be instructed by some @#%&! with a microphone

Unread 06-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Zorg

Quote:
You sound like you've been ripped off.

So a middle aged man who turned out for United 20 odd times dies suddenly - respect surely, but a minute's silence and arm bands may be stretching it a bit on the basis it should really be reserved for all time greats. Otherwise the tribute becomes the norm - something that's routine.

We're becoming grief monkeys - we have to be "seen" to be doing the "right thing" - whatever that is.
Please don't condescend to me about being a grief monkey, it doesn't interest me in the slightest. I didn't mention armbands, so don't put words in my mouth.

I simply think that a former player who was pivotal in kicking off the most successful period in the club's history dying at a very young age could have had a bit more respect than a shrug of the shoulders.

A lot of clubs who've won the FA cup only once, or a couple of times, would make a bigger tribute to players from those winning teams. If one of those players had also won a European trophy they'd go even further.

But as United have won the loads of trophies, it's a case of 'sorry mate, you're not that special'. I'm not interested in a grief fest, it's just this attitude I disagree with that's all.

Unread 06-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Please don't condescend to me about being a grief monkey, it doesn't interest me in the slightest. I didn't mention armbands, so don't put words in my mouth.

I simply think that a former player who was pivotal in kicking off the most successful period in the club's history dying at a very young age could have had a bit more respect than a shrug of the shoulders.

A lot of clubs who've won the FA cup only once, or a couple of times, would make a bigger tribute to players from those winning teams. If one of those players had also won a European trophy they'd go even further.

But as United have won the loads of trophies, it's a case of 'sorry mate, you're not that special'. I'm not interested in a grief fest, it's just this attitude I disagree with that's all.
I said "We're becoming grief monkeys" not you specifically.

I looked it up - he played 31 times for United and let's face despite the two games you mention, he wasn't that special.

Unread 06-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Grimson

Quote:
I said "We're becoming grief monkeys" not you specifically.

I looked it up - he played 31 times for United and let's face despite the two games you mention, he wasn't that special.
Nobody's saying he was. We're saying he was a United player who tragically died young. £#%&!'s sake it isn't rocket surgery.

Unread 06-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Nobody's saying he was. We're saying he was a United player who tragically died young. £#%&!'s sake it isn't rocket surgery.
And I'm saying that warrants a respectful mention in the next programme - which all ex-United players who pass away get. Unless they are bona fide legends. Also not too difficult to grasp.

Unread 06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs up Re: United to pay for Albert Scanlon's funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza

Unread 06-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Grimson

Quote:
And I'm saying that warrants a respectful mention in the next programme - which all ex-United players who pass away get. Unless they are bona fide legends. Also not too difficult to grasp.
Yeah suppose you're right. However I knew him personally, so this undoubtedly clouds my judgment.

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Yeah suppose you're right. However I knew him personally, so this undoubtedly clouds my judgment.
Aha

Quite a character by all accounts and fits the "all goalkeepers are a bit mad" stereotype.

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
wee man

Quote:
Aha

Quite a character by all accounts and fits the "all goalkeepers are a bit mad" stereotype.
I'm not

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:17 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
I'm not
you only played in nets to wear the gloves

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:22 PM
elephantstone

For the orange lodge vets team