United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
the three deals mentioned that dragged and dragged were as a result of the selling club's bravado and/or contractual anomolies

the media made a big £#%&!ing meal of all three deals true enough

but United's position on each deal was clear right from the start and none of the selling clubs ever seriously suggested any wrong practice

did anyone ever seriously doubt that any of the 3 players was going to end up joining United?

of course not.
How do you know this? For all we know, United offered them minimum wage. You've no more reason to be right than the newspapers. At least they know people inside OT.

Unread 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Ether

The Berbatov transfer dragged because we were trying to play hardball and get Spurs to agree to our price. In the end it backfired somewhat and we ended up paying over the odds.

Unread 02-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
The Berbatov transfer dragged because we were trying to play hardball and get Spurs to agree to our price. In the end it backfired somewhat and we ended up paying over the odds.
That's what the press said. Actually we'd planned to pay £32M all along and and sign him at midnight on deadline day.

Unread 02-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
That's what the press said. Actually we'd planned to pay £32M all along and and sign him at midnight on deadline day.

Unread 02-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Whalefish

Has anyone actually seen the breakdown of the Berbatov fee yet? I don't even think there's been any announcement on the Spurs site regarding it.

Will be very interested to see what it's make up is. Spurs got what they wanted in the end, a £30million fee but I'd wager a large % of that is performance related something Gill keeps on about re transfer deals today. If reports were correct our opening bid until the end of the transfer window was something in the region of £20million. A much fairer price IMO but christ knows whether the press were correct. Don't really give a shit either.

Still, whilst some will applaud Levy the businessman I'd say they're still quite some way off a top 6 spot with their current squad. Well done Daniel.

Unread 02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Has anyone actually seen the breakdown of the Berbatov fee yet? I don't even think there's been any announcement on the Spurs site regarding it.

Will be very interested to see what it's make up is. Spurs got what they wanted in the end, a £30million fee but I'd wager a large % of that is performance related something Gill keeps on about re transfer deals today. If reports were correct our opening bid until the end of the transfer window was something in the region of £20million. A much fairer price IMO but christ knows whether the press were correct. Don't really give a shit either.

Still, whilst some will applaud Levy the businessman I'd say they're still quite some way off a top 6 spot with their current squad. Well done Daniel.

By the time you've factored in their failure this season, the compo for sacking the manager and getting Redknapp and the extra money Redknapp will spend to get his team together, whatever extra Levy got by waiting until the last minute will be insignificent to what it's cost him.

Unread 02-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
How do you know this? For all we know, United offered them minimum wage. You've no more reason to be right than the newspapers. At least they know people inside OT.
i'm simply pointing out what actually happened

United wanted the player(s)

the players joined United

the clubs they came from could quite easily have haggled quietly and efficiently but chose not to

oh and you don't know me and don't know who i know, much less do you £#%&!ing need to

Unread 02-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Ether

Quote:
oh and you don't know me and don't know who i know

How do you know he doesn't know though?

Unread 02-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
i'm simply pointing out what actually happened

United wanted the player(s)

the players joined United

the clubs they came from could quite easily have haggled quietly and efficiently but chose not to

oh and you don't know me and don't know who i know, much less do you £#%&!ing need to
You'd be surprised sonny. Tell your wife she's given me VD.

Unread 02-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
You'd be surprised sonny. Tell your wife she's given me VD.
i'm sure she already knows

Unread 02-01-2009, 11:27 PM
redloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Has anyone actually seen the breakdown of the Berbatov fee yet?
Nope. We'll have to wait for the "post balance sheet events" when the 2007/8 Red Football Ltd Accounts are published around 25/4/09.

Unread 02-01-2009, 11:46 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
two summers ago we signed big andy and nani early beacause spurs were sniffing around nani and nearly signed him.
hargreaves was a case if us being the only club in for him and tevez dragged on until deadline day near enough.

last summer berbatov dragged on all the way until midnight deadline day.

quiet and efficient

the only straightforward transfer we have had recently was anderson.
i think you'll find it was spurs who were taking the piss, hence the great bit of business regarding campbell.
Closed Thread