United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:08 PM
TheNew

Default Henry Winter has just said Torres is "Probably the best striker in the world"

on talkshite.

Is he?

Am I right in quoting a stat that he's only scored a couple of league goals away from Anfailed?

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:10 PM
naes_sean

He was brilliant at OT

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Enjoying Insanity

He's the best striker in the World...

.... When he plays at Anfield

Watch him go missing again tonight.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:13 PM
TheNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes_sean
He was brilliant at OT
and against us at their place.

That said. He is very good. But surely there are better strikers in world football. Seems to me like journo's in this country have a pretty limited field of vision.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
dunk

21 League goals.

19 at Anfield.

Travels well.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
believe

He is a very good player there is no doubt. Not his fault he is playingwith a pile of shite. If he was at the other end of the lancs he would be a legend.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:17 PM
The Watcher

As an out and out striker, there's no better then Eto'o. Has a great record for Barca against Madrid and scored the goals (including the equaliser in the final) which won his team the European Cup in 2006. A truly fantastic player.

Torres has had a great debut season...at Anfield

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:19 PM
antonin jablonsky

Manucho, he's like a black Eusebio.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:20 PM
borsuk

he's an excellent player. his first season in the premiership - first season ffs - is amazing, especially in a team which does not create a ton of chances.

best in the world? my arse. leaving aside the premiership, was it a couple of centuries ago that messi got injured? has eto'o finished his career?

i know journos have to fill space at short notice, but really... one good season does not make a player the best in the world. especially if his form in so many areas (big games, internationals, away matches) is so uneven.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:20 PM
SilverSurfer

Henry Winter is in love with his own turn of phrase. I think he actually prefers it to the reality of what goes on.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Manucho, he's like a black Eusebio.
not heard that one for a while.

I'll kill myself if he doesn't wear a United shirt next season. :shakehead:

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Ashley's Grime

Torres is so good he's only scored about six less than Ronaldo who isn't even a friggin striker.

Henry Winter is one of these journos that thinks his opinion is hugely important.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:24 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNew
and against us at their place.

That said. He is very good. But surely there are better strikers in world football. Seems to me like journo's in this country have a pretty limited field of vision.
That's the thing about journalists who have not played the game - their opinion carries no more weight than you or I. They think it does because they are lucky enough to have a job which means they follow football. Good luck to them in getting that job - but they really are full of their own importance - Bison Head "Wooly" Woolnough, Alan Green.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Whalefish

If we're looking at goals scored by a striker wouldn't Fabiano be the best striker in world football at the moment?

He isn't even if he is the top scorer for a centre forward. Neither is Torres fwiw.

I'd like to ask Winter how much football he's seen beyond the Premiership. Not a lot would be my guess.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:28 PM
BarryX

what does the fonzie know about football.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

It will be interested to see next season when defenses start to learn how to deal with him.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
he's an excellent player. his first season in the premiership - first season ffs - is amazing, especially in a team which does not create a ton of chances.

best in the world? my arse. leaving aside the premiership, was it a couple of centuries ago that messi got injured? has eto'o finished his career?

i know journos have to fill space at short notice, but really... one good season does not make a player the best in the world. especially if his form in so many areas (big games, internationals, away matches) is so uneven.
he said best striker. messi isn't an out and out striker.

eto'o has been well below par this season with a couple of horrendous misses. Looks like henryitism has caught up with him. before he would be clinical. now he just tries to fanny around the penalty box before scoring. Its not just because of defenders that barca are struggling. its due to attackers as well.

as many have said in an absolutely stinking liverpool attack he has been scoring goals and involved in most of their goals.

At present form I would say only benzema has been better in europe.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
If we're looking at goals scored by a striker wouldn't Fabiano be the best striker in world football at the moment?

He isn't even if he is the top scorer for a centre forward. Neither is Torres fwiw.

I'd like to ask Winter how much football he's seen beyond the Premiership. Not a lot would be my guess.
I was going to come in here and say Fabiano.
Winter doesn't watch european, it's evident in his columns. He would fit in well with this forum especially for his love of Scholesy.

If Torres is the best striker in the world then why is a winger scoring more than him.

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Redhod99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
21 League goals.

19 at Anfield.

Travels well.
The 2 away were at Derby and Boro

Unread 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Amish Mash

Surely the sign of a World Class striker is to score goals everywhere.

How many away from Anfailed in all comps again is it??

Possibly 2 in the league and 2 in Europe???

Very good player and will get better but not the best in the world, yet.

I would place:-

Eto'o
Drogba
Rooney

in front of him at the moment and at least on a par would be:-

v Nistelrooy
Benzema
Closed Thread