United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-08-2021, 10:47 AM
Ethers

At his best, there’s no question he’s a far better keeper than Henderson.

I’d say even a DDG at 75% of his best is better than Henderson at his respective best tbf.

If he stays consistent and motivated, it will make a massive difference to us this season.

Unread 30-08-2021, 10:53 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
He was good yesterday

But I’m sure we’ve been here before over the last couple of seasons and he eventually ends up costing us points by throwing a couple in his own net.
This is my concern. The bad faith hasn’t been a knee jerk thing. His standards have dropped for years now. These errors were happening when ole first arrived.

It’s an attitude thing too. All keepers make the odd mistake, that’s not the problem, but when they’re frequent, at key times and they come down to things like staying routed on your line and lapses in concentration, it makes him look weak. He’s looked weak for years now.

Yesterday was very encouraging. The second save was great not just because it was a great save, but he was up quickly and showing a desire to do everything he can to stop them scoring. Like wan bisakka first half. Putting your body on the line. We were a shambles but we were showing some guts with last ditch defending to save the game.

He even came out and swept a few times, which is very unlike him. That shows a better attitude, taking charge, playing with a bit of £#%&!in authority and balls.

We’ve been too easy to score against and he’s been a big part of that, but can’t ask for much more than what he’s done the last two weeks and if he can do it for weeks and months on end without reverting to a little fanny, then I’ll happily revise my concerns.

For now, well done, but a long way to go to convince me he’s the long-term solution.

Unread 30-08-2021, 11:12 AM
Bunker Buster

I'm still not over the Europa final ...

Unread 30-08-2021, 12:03 PM
dunk

Great reaction save. Instinctive, which is what he’s always been absolutely top drawer at. Jury remains out imo.

Unread 30-08-2021, 12:06 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
If we ever go to pens again get him off the pitch.

Unread 30-08-2021, 12:58 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Same.

I've defended De Gea to the hilt in the past, but that Europa final will take some getting over.

It was a hideous, cowering, anti-United performance from him, that cost us a trophy. He's got a lot of making up to do.

Unread 30-08-2021, 01:06 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

I’d say even a DDG at 75% of his best is better than Henderson at his respective best tbf.

If he stays consistent and motivated, it will make a massive difference to us this season.
He’s light years ahead of anyone else we have or have had during his time here. His “decline” over the last few years has been parallel with the defense he’s had in front of him too.

Edit: although I do agree it’s hard to get over him not scoring in a European final.

Unread 30-08-2021, 01:11 PM
Sparky***

basically saved us 4 points in the last two games with his saves.

Best shot stopper in world football.

Unread 30-08-2021, 03:27 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Just not at penalties.

Unread 30-08-2021, 03:34 PM
Ethers

Probably faces about 4/5 penalties a season in the league. Arsed.

Unread 30-08-2021, 03:38 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:

This. Our best player for multiple seasons running who’s had a few poor seasons recently and is talked about like he’s Beelzebub.

Got us the three points yesterday.

Unread 30-08-2021, 03:40 PM
Chris Quayd

Overhyped at his peak and those player of the year awards were a reflection of the dross that played and managed us.

Unread 30-08-2021, 03:42 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Overhyped at his peak and those player of the year awards were a reflection of the dross that played and managed us.
He's vastly overated, an all round average keeper that cost us a trophy....

Sometimes saves some shots with his gangly goth legs...

Unread 30-08-2021, 03:45 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Some truth to that. But even so. He’s far better than this….

Unread 30-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Chris Quayd

Agreed, should have flogged them both this summer and picked up Ter-Stegen.

Unread 30-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Some truth to that. But even so. He’s far better than this….

League 1 sunny Sunday on the south coast fodder ...

Unread 30-08-2021, 04:03 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Our number one.

Unread 30-08-2021, 07:27 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
If we ever go to pens again get him off the pitch.
This, absolutely. He literally didn't look like even coming close to saving a single one against Villarreal, incredible

Unread 30-08-2021, 07:44 PM
The taste of...

Incredible save yesterday but will undoubtedly soon flap one in

Fair play to him finally leaving his box for a second half clearance but he resembled a 10 year old authority wise. He’s had his time.
Closed Thread