United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Fountz

Lightbulb Recommend an "Airport" Thriller/espionage/guy on a mission.... novel !

I do have Robert Ludlum's The Sigma Protocol* to hand, however I have a list of requirements if you'd care to peruse !

Love the feel of early Bond novels.. Stories unfolding over Europe, so being set in France, Italy, Switzerland and Austria would be good.. Stories involving Swiss Chateaus, imposing gates opening to reveal a long drive leading up to an impressive but subtle residence, a lone figure gazes out over the lake and Alps beyond from his office in the top tower..

Hidden bank vaults in Lichenstein containing a secret that could topple Goverments.. Stuffy private bank in Zurich.. numbererd accounts.. open top sports car, Grace Kellyesque headscarfed beauty in the passenger seat gradually coming more into the story.. love ineterest ? Yep, but can you trust her..!

Quirky cynical retired curmudgeon wants to be left to enjoy his yacht and the beautiful scenery off the coast around Nice.. he's paid his dues and he's annoyed and put out that his solitude has been invaded.. he doesn't want to help, but as our guy and Grace Kelly leave thinking they've drawn a blank, he fires a name at them.. is it because he recognises something in our guy that reminds him of a himself all those years ago, is it because he wants to put one over his former paymasters or is for another reason..

etc etc..

Love Frederick Forsyth, Christopher Reich etc..

Fancy the likes of Day of the Jackal crossed with 24 set in an early sixties European Bondesque setting..

Suggestions ?

Cheers.
F.

* if anyone's read the Sigma Protocol then please let me know your thoughts.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:00 AM
MUFC One Love

Esio Trot - Roald Dahl.

HTH.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Spock

Default the day after tomorrow

Alan Folsom

Touted as a blockbuster, this assured debut thriller delivers in full--and then some. A young American doctor haunted by his father's murder stumbles into a chilling international conspiracy and crosses paths with, among others, a weary L.A. cop investigating a series of surgically precise decapitations, a naive physical therapist and a hypercompetent German assassin. Dr. Paul Osborn, visiting Paris, recognizes the man whom he witnessed stab his father on a Boston street in 1966. Determined to learn the reason for his father's unsolved death and take revenge, Osborn hatches a plan that unexpectedly leads to the gruesome execution of a hired PI and to other killings. Clearly some serious powers are involved. Soon Osborn, aided by Vera Monneray, a Paris medical student, is hiding out from Paris police, Interpol and the L.A. cop who has been summoned to Paris. Meanwhile, Joanna Marsh accompanies Elton Lybarger, a Swiss national whom she has helped recover from a stroke in a posh New Mexico sanatorium, back to Zurich, where he is greeted rapturously by high-ranking German business leaders. As an extensive Nazi resurgence plot emerges, Folsom adds extra flashes--Joanna in a drug-induced sex marathon, a massive train wreck, Vera's other affair with a very important French leader--to heighten the suspense on these rapidly turning pages. A huge explosion in secret chambers under the streets of Berlin sends Osborn on a final chase through Europe and up into the Alps, where the high-tech hopes of an earlier generation are finally exposed. This is a one-sitting novel and readers will have to choose: a full, sun-burning day at the beach or, for those who can't wait, a springtime all-nighter. 300,000 first printing; BOMC selection; movie rights to MGM and the Zanuck Co.
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Rorschach

Default I've just finished

this new book called "The Da Vinci Code" by some guy called Dan Brown.

I don't know if you can find a copy in the shops but it's, like, dead dead good and everyfink.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Long-ball Larry

Get a grip, By Dr Phil

Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 AM
sweetleftfoot

I really enjoyed Black Sunday for that sort of thing. But not European and not 60's-ish.

Oh.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:44 AM
dunk

Have you read the Bourne Triology?

I'm halfway through Supremacy now and it is fucking superb, fuck all like the films, with the exception of the main Character names.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:56 AM
dodger

The Ripley novels ( as in talented Mr.) by Patricia Highsmith are supposed to be good and involve a lot of flitting around europe.

As an alternative, not quite in the same vein but involving some of your criteria, can I recommend The Magus by John fowles.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:54 PM
n48

I'd recommend Dogs of War but suspect you've already read that. Or you might like to buy the complete works of Richard Hannay (39 Steps etc) - their based a bit earlier than your desired period but the second book involves alot of dashing across Europe. A great read.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Zorg

David Baldacci.

Fantastic spy thrillers.
Closed Thread