United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 15-08-2023, 09:36 AM
Sloppy

Don't think we ever played well first game at home. I bet the Karen's on here were saying the same thing when we drew to the likes of reading 0-0 on opening day.

Unread 15-08-2023, 09:50 AM
redhegemony

ETH will learn more from that than if we had strolled to a 2-0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Don't think we ever played well first game at home. I bet the Karen's on here were saying the same thing when we drew to the likes of reading 0-0 on opening day.

Chelsea 4-0 when I thought Pogba was our saviour...

Unread 15-08-2023, 09:52 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
ETH will learn more from that than if we had strolled to a 2-0.

Chelsea 4-0 when I thought Pogba was our saviour...
Leeds 5-1

Unread 15-08-2023, 09:53 AM
Stickman

Fulham 06-07

Unread 15-08-2023, 09:59 AM
pedr0

we actually played pretty badly against Leeds, the scoreline flattered us. they left themselves wide open to the counter and we took advantage.

Fulham 06/07 we were magnificent.

Swansea away in moyes first game...?

Unread 15-08-2023, 10:00 AM
Ethers

Statistically our best start to the season for years. Very encouraging.

Unread 15-08-2023, 10:03 AM
marlo

Quote:
but i thought things were different under ETH the “proper” manager…

a nice easy game to stretch our legs and we made a mess of it.
it was hard to see where a goal was going to come from and and we also need additions in midfield.

so basically we need some forwards and some midfielders, exactly what we needed at the end of the last season after havign a “brilliant window”.

It might even time to talk about our playing identity under ETH abit then again accountability and ETH don’t mix well on here. 1 year, what’s our playing style?

Unread 15-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
we actually played pretty badly against Leeds, the scoreline flattered us. they left themselves wide open to the counter and we took advantage.

Fulham 06/07 we were magnificent.

Swansea away in moyes first game...?
he said at home. Play the game mate.

Unread 15-08-2023, 10:06 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
but i thought things were different under ETH the “proper” manager…

a nice easy game to stretch our legs and we made a mess of it.
it was hard to see where a goal was going to come from and and we also need additions in midfield.

so basically we need some forwards and some midfielders, exactly what we needed at the end of the last season after havign a “brilliant window”.

It might even time to talk about our playing identity under ETH abit then again accountability and ETH don’t mix well on here. 1 year, what’s our playing style?
We won

Unread 15-08-2023, 10:11 AM
Jethro

It's pretty obvious what our playing style is but you can't implement any style without the correct players.

Playing style ffs. What a shambles the modern game is. Can anyone tell me Arteta's because it seems completely made up.

Unread 15-08-2023, 10:12 AM
dunk

Quote:
We’ve @#%&!ted Chelsea and Leeds in the not too recent past tbf, we were shite the 2 games after though IIRC.

We’ve been complaining for years that our preseason’s always leave us under prepared and there’s too much travelling not enough work on the team/fitness. Same has happened again.

Unread 15-08-2023, 10:15 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
We won
Trivial fact that, mate.

Unread 15-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Casmiro had 200 odd pre seasons mins under his belt just over 2 games.

Bruno 206 mins , rashford 216 Antony 252 garnacho 175 shaw 258.

Sancho looked sharper than anyone else once he came on, maybe it’s to do with energy levels as he was a sub but he played a lot more mins this preseason

Bulk of the team has had less than 3 games in preseason. This could all be futile as I don’t know what the usual numbers are but they looked well off the pace both physically and mentally.
Even those stats don't mean a great deal though. How many games have the players played more than an hour in ? I'd guess at 1 for the majority of them. And I'd be shocked if it is more than 2 Almost like the pre-season has nothing to do with being ready for the first game.

Unread 15-08-2023, 10:18 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Thought Tenners came across as quite ‘rattled’ in his interview. Not quite as honest as normal.
yeah. although not sure about his normal level of honesty.

his only complaint was we weren't careful in possession. which is true, but not the whole truth.

he couldn't very well say there was a £#%&!ing chasm in midfield and it was largely down to his insistence on playing one (rather undisciplined) dm and two attacking midfielders. everyone here seems to have to come to the (obvious) conclusion that we need more cover in midfield. 10h needs to wake the £#%&! up. there are no easy games.

mount didn't play badly. but the balance of the midfield is wrong.

semedo was motm. cunha not far behind.

Unread 15-08-2023, 11:59 AM
Lodestar

Only thing that mattered last night was the win. I don't care how we do it so long as we stay in contention for as long as possible.

Unread 15-08-2023, 12:05 PM
Sparky***

That was probably the worst game i've seen Casemiro play for us and that includes the anfield abomination. He looked several yards too slow and rather than hold his position or track runners, he insisted on lunging in and taking himself out of the game.

At some point someone on the pitch should have been saying 'hold on lads they're walking through us here, show a bit of discipline'.

Unread 15-08-2023, 12:07 PM
atticusgrinch

That was horrible.

Every player was terrible apart from Varane and Onana. They can't play that badly again though.

And Hojlund can't start soon enough.

Eww

Quote:
Fulham 06/07. But yeah, not often.

Unread 15-08-2023, 12:10 PM
est.1878

Think the OP set the tone for the night.

Unread 15-08-2023, 12:11 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
Only thing that mattered last night was the win. I don't care how we do it so long as we stay in contention for as long as possible.
staying in contention for as long as possible might involve acknowledging that, despite the win, that was an experiment that failed.

Unread 15-08-2023, 12:16 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
That was probably the worst game i've seen Casemiro play for us and that includes the anfield abomination. He looked several yards too slow and rather than hold his position or track runners, he insisted on lunging in and taking himself out of the game.

At some point someone on the pitch should have been saying 'hold on lads they're walking through us here, show a bit of discipline'.
Tbf to him all those wolves breaks it was 3 against 1 every £#%&!ing time.