United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:07 PM
MUFC One Love

Default Fergie - back to basics.

He was under pressure to get us back at the top so he did it playing a full team whenever he could last season.

Today Vidic and Rooney our out injured, 2 of our "tougher" players. The other, imo, is Anderson, and Ronaldo is experienced in this league now and is no shit house. What does he do, rest Ronaldo and put Anderson on the bench. Anderson changed the game, he's tough and a top passer of the ball and gives us some bite. Carrick and Hargreaves, especially Carrick just didn't do enough in the middle. You can't play both of them together imo.

Well, Fergie, well done, we can see Europe is on the horizon.

Or when we get destroyed off Milan/Madrid it will be a F.A Cup at best eh?

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Whalefish

Ronaldo was injured. A very good run has come to an end. We'll still finish 3rd IMO.

At least Arsenal are flying and will probably stop the Dippers from scabbing it.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:10 PM
armchair

don't panic!

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
don't panic!
Don't be silly.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:11 PM
MUFC One Love

It does seem very knee jerk. But we just didn't look like scoring until Anderson came on. Why drop him and Ronaldo? When Rooney is out?

Sadly Fergie's selection which has hindered us for a few years was back today, last year he didn't do it and we won the league

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Wez

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
don't panic!

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Whalefish

He didn't do it last year because he didn't really have the squad. The purse strings were loosened in the Summer and to an extent he now has it. It was hinted at in Red Issue (I think) and it was suggested it could cost us in the long run.

He can't help himself but tinker.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:17 PM
armchair

Carrick had the chance to impose himself on that game and he chose not to. That's what annoyed me.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:21 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
He didn't do it last year because he didn't really have the squad. The purse strings were loosened in the Summer and to an extent he now has it. It was hinted at in Red Issue (I think) and it was suggested it could cost us in the long run.
There were gams last season when he likes of O'Shea and Fletcher started (Everton at home?) and we got away with it. Today, unfortunately, we didn't. Last season, our players were finished by late April. After the come back against Everton we didn't score a single goal in open play ffs! If we want win the League and Europe, our players have to be managed.

However, I agree that if (for whatever reason) Ronaldo had to be rested, Anderson should definitely play. I've maintained since the season began that a Carrick/Hargreaves midfield just doesn't offer enough of an attacking threat. Either Scholes or Anderson must start every meaningful game imo.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Salien

I think if you look at the starting eleven they should have been easily good enough to beat Bolton. The players abilities IMO were not the problem it was just that they didn't seem up for it.

I have to say as well that once again Giggs was terrible. Why can't he pass a ball?

IMO just a bad day at the office all round. Nothing to get your knickers in a twist about.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:28 PM
MUFC One Love

Giggs was abysmal, he just hates challenging for anything.

Regarding Carrick, very disappointed and I think he could find himself out the door if he doesn't progress character wise on the pitch.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:33 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Regarding Carrick, very disappointed and I think he could find himself out the door if he doesn't progress character wise on the pitch.
According to Backbeat, Fergies had words with him about this.

After a very good debut season, I really thought he'd push on in that regard. The performances against Roma showed what he can do. I just wish he'd impose him self on the game more, instead of taking the easy option and passing the ball five yards to Hargreaves every time he gets it. Owen's a great player, but no playmaker.

It's even more annoying, when you see a nineteen year old Brazilan kid have the %@#$&!s to come in the side and impose himself (telling players like Giggs and Tevez where to position themselvs!)

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:34 PM
MUFC One Love

Agreed. With Carrick it seems that when it becomes 'on top' he'd rather sit deep doing 5 yard passes. He helped us win the league, playing for Manchester United. Why isn't he getting the ball and influencing the game. Hom and Hargreaves both did the same job, when Anderson came on we was much better.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:42 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Agreed. With Carrick it seems that when it becomes 'on top' he'd rather sit deep doing 5 yard passes. He helped us win the league, playing for Manchester United. Why isn't he getting the ball and influencing the game. Hom and Hargreaves both did the same job, when Anderson came on we was much better.
When he plays with Scholes, that aspect of his game is disguised. As Scholes will play the more positive passes, Carrick can retrieve the ball and keep it simple.

But with Hargreaves, it won't work. He (Carrick) is meant to be the creative player, so the onus is on him to get the ball forward, quickly and into dangerous positions. But he appears unwilling to do this and relegated authority to Hargreaves. That's why, in my opinion, they shouldn't play together.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Argentina

Hang on a minute. Let's not start Carrick bashing. He was instrumental in winning the title last year. He's been injured and hasnt started since Kiev home, and before that for about a month at least.
When Rooney came back from injury he was abysmal, yet everyone on here was saying to give him time, he's been injured etc. Can we not do the same with Carrick?

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:43 PM
wonky no

the point of having a strong squad is so you can mix it up when necessary. we have a strong squad. Anderson was good when he came on but he had the benifit of seeing the game for 45 mins, carrick may have done the same if anderson started,

our squad is class, let's not forget that we were away, in a derby with a team on the mend who like nothing better than defending a 1-0 win or draw.

if tevez had put that one in we'd have had a draw, without piquet dropping a %@#$&! we'd have won. hardly fergies fault,or ronaldo's.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:44 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!
the point of having a strong squad is so you can mix it up when necessary. we have a strong squad. Anderson was good when he came on but he had the benifit of seeing the game for 45 mins, carrick may have done the same if anderson started,

our squad is class, let's not forget that we were away, in a derby with a team on the mend who like nothing better than defending a 1-0 win or draw.

if tevez had put that one in we'd have had a draw, without piquet dropping a %@#$&! we'd have won. hardly fergies fault,or ronaldo's.
Spot on.

Some numpties on here like to exaggerate somewhat.

Hardly the end of the world.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:50 PM
MUFC One Love

Ah that's me told then.

It was just unlucky today and Fergie's team selection was spot on and Carrick didn't try and get a grip of it 'cos he's just back from injury.

Nobody got on Rooney's back 'cos they know what he can do and influence games. Carrick has never done it really but has the ability to. Having the bottle is a different issue though.

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:53 PM
legendary saf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!

I agree, its still november, far too early to talk about losing the title, especially when we're only 3 pts behind the leaders with them still having to come to OT.

But what im really sad about is the lack of hunger some of the guys out there showed today, what were they thinking?

Unread 24-11-2007, 06:58 PM
MUFC One Love

It's £#%&! all to do with the title right now. Infact if Fergie doesn't do this again we will piss the league. He has done this before a game when we have already qualified in Europe. Imagine him once the F.A Cup and European Cup knock out starts?

I get a horrible feeling Fergie is going to blow it.
Closed Thread