United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-10-2015, 03:10 PM
utd99

Default Giggs.

Ok, so what do we know? Well we know that Van Gaal has categorically stated next season will be his last, and he's not a man to go back on his word. So at the very outside the club will be making a decision on who is to be the next manager by this time next year; earlier if Woody is a smart guy. And let's hope he learned his lesson from the whole Moyes debacle.

So where does that leave Giggs? Well, he will know that hiring an established manager will probably entail bringing in a team, which will leave him out in the cold. He cannot hope to be passed from manager to manager, so he has to make a decision for himself. He wants the manager's job, that much is clear. Part of the establishment wants him also (Fergie and the rest of the 92 gang), but this is Manchester United, not the class of 92 get along gang. I appreciate everything that group of players did for us, but that doesn't mean we are in thrall to them for the rest of existence. Football matters should require sound football decisions, and I'm not sure where hiring a man who has absolutely zero experience of managing anyone, let alone one of the biggest clubs in the world falls into that category. Moyes objectors should appreciate that more than anyone. If that's not lesson learned, then I don't know what it takes.

Fergie himself took pains to express his belief that all young managers should earn their stripes at a lower level, and I agree with him. Obviously he has now done a 180, as is his wont when it suits his purposes, but you can't unring a bell. He said it and he was correct. No way Giggs should be United's next manager. If he has it in him he will be successful elsewhere, then come back ready. This is not a job for cutting your teeth on. My fear is that as the zero hour approaches, Giggs and his allies will begin to position themselves regardless of the detrimental effect on the club. If the leaks to the Times indeed came from him, then it's indicative of what we can expect going forward.

If Guardiola is indeed approaching availability, and we allow him to go to City and instead appoint Giggs, then we will get what we deserve.

Unread 10-10-2015, 03:18 PM
forzagarza

Should retire the position of manager and select the team using opta stats

Unread 10-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Switching Off

May aswell just get it over and done with. Line up Pep for November when Giggs has lost every game.

Unread 10-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Bobda

I'll never get past the tactics against Norwich when he was filling in, picked Danny Welback because "he's scored against them before". His book is full of similar superstitious shite.

Unread 10-10-2015, 03:43 PM
ScarFace

I think if Pep gives us any indication he would manage us next season, we'd let LVG go. Giggs will leave also ( he needs to manage a team first before he should even be considered a possibility for us )

The same happens if Ancelotti says he'd manage us too ( both fergie's first choices ahead of M )

The worst case scenario is Pep goes to city, Ancelotti to Bayern and we stick with LVG, then Giggs

Unread 10-10-2015, 03:44 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
May aswell just get it over and done with. Line up Pep for November when Giggs has lost every game.
Might not be available, and another Moyes perios could set us back years. Van Gaal will have done some solid preparation work by the end of this season, but it could all easily be undone with an irresponsible appointment. Giggs would not have a Messi, Iniesta and Xavi to nurse him through his honeymoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
I think if Pep gives us any indication he would manage us next season, we'd let LVG go. Giggs will leave also ( he needs to manage a team first before he should even be considered a possibility for us )

The same happens if Ancelotti says he'd manage us too ( both fergie's first choices ahead of M )

The worst case scenario is Pep goes to city, Ancelotti to Bayern and we stick with LVG, then Giggs
Correct.

Unread 10-10-2015, 03:56 PM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
This. The clamour from the media to give Giggs the job will be relentless so we may as well appoint him when LvG leaves and get the nightmare that will follow out of the way.

United and everyone else need to move on from this utter mongfest that is the class of '92

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Sparky***

Obviously Guardiola would be the logical choice given the style that Van Gaal has been trying to implement for the last 15 months.

Or if we're going to just rip all that up and start again - then bring in giggs or ancelotti.

From the sounds of it Pep is off to City anyway, so I think it's a pretty safe bet we'll end up with Giggs as manager. How long that will be for is anyone's guess.

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Pop

Giggs will get the job. After everything Utd should have learned from appointing Moyes you just know that something as bewildering as this will happen.

Any you know what, if they do give it to him I hope City do appoint Guardiola. And Ancelotti takes over at Arsenal.

Then wait will Utd do? Probably £#%&!ing go crawling to a post Chelsea/nervous breakdown Mourinho after Giggs and his class of 92 chums take Utd to a couple of successive seventh place finishes.

£#%&! off.

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Lok

Giggs will get it. It's already decided.

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:09 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Obviously Guardiola would be the logical choice given the style that Van Gaal has been trying to implement for the last 15 months.

Or if we're going to just rip all that up and start again - then bring in giggs or ancelotti.

From the sounds of it Pep is off to City anyway, so I think it's a pretty safe bet we'll end up with Giggs as manager. How long that will be for is anyone's guess.
Mainly Middle Eastern gossip, tbh. At most I suspect he's acknowledged that he'd be interested, but there's no way Pep would not rather follow van Gaal at United. That's where we could have a decision to make. Bayern want Pep to stay another year, which would be perfect, or Pep could take another sabbatical. But if it comes down to it, we'd surely move LvG on a year early if needed to not miss out on Pep.

Lots of pissing about Klopp going to Liverpool, but Pep at City while we line up Giggs is terrifying tbh

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Can't the doom lords just focus on the job in hand and concentrate on wetting their present Thomas the Tank Engine duvet, rather than making stuff up and pissing their pants about the future?

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:20 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Can't the doom lords just focus on the job in hand and concentrate on wetting their present Thomas the Tank Engine duvet, rather than making stuff up and pissing their pants about the future?
At least it's a thread about United. Not many of them about atm

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
At least it's a thread about United. Not many of them about atm
Whoa. This is a football forum?

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:34 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Well to be honest, Van Gaal introduced this as a relevant topic when he reinforced his decision to retire from football at the end of his contract and promoted the idea of Giggs as the next boss. So blame him, not some mysterious "doom lords".

Whether we like it or not the future will happen, and what form it takes will depend on what decisions are made very soon, and the events immediately following Fergie's retirement are way too fresh in the mind. So yes, I would say it's a very valid conversation to be having now. My feeling is that Woody will have to decide whether he is his own man or simply Fergie and the 92'ers toady. Loyalty is great, but not if it leads to spurious decision making.

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Well to be honest, Van Gaal introduced this as a relevant topic when he reinforced his decision to retire from football at the end of his contract and promoted the idea of Giggs as the next boss. So blame him, not some mysterious 'bed wetters'.

Whether we like it or not the future will happen, and what form it takes will depend on what decisions are made very soon, and the events immediately following Fergie's retirement are way too fresh in the mind. So yes, I would say it's a very valid conversation to be having now. My feeling is that Woody will have to decide whether he is his own man or simply Fergie and the 92'ers toady. Loyalty is great, but not if it leads to spurious decision making.
I don't get why Giggs needs to be next. Realistically, United post-Fergie will likely be like most other clubs. If Giggs doesn't get it in 2017 there will be other opportunities later. He's only 41; you could argue that taking it too soon could actually be a huge mistake for him, too

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:41 PM
silv

Give it to Giggs

£#%&! it. If it takes him 5 years to win the league we will still be ahead of the other @#%&!s

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:44 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I don't get why Giggs needs to be next. Realistically, United post-Fergie will likely be like most other clubs. If Giggs doesn't get it in 2017 there will be other opportunities later. He's only 41; you could argue that taking it too soon could actually be a huge mistake for him, too
Definitely. Imagine having to fire him if it didn't work out. But this is not even a conversation about whether he would or wouldn't make a good manager. He might. He might go onto be the greatest manager that ever lived; the point is we just don't know. He has zero managerial experience, and that's definitely not the route we should be going. We need to build on what Van Gaal has done, not roll the dice.

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:46 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Give it to Giggs

£#%&! it. If it takes him 5 years to win the league we will still be ahead of the other @#%&!s
That's the thing, i don't think he'd ever come close.

There is nothing about Giggs that says "great manager material".....other than he won a lot as a player.

Saying that, Keane/Robbo looked nailed on at certain points.

I'd be shocked if they risk Giggs after the Moyes £#%&! up.

Unread 10-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Give it to Giggs

I'm kind of swaying towards Giggs. We'd just find ourselves in a boom bust cycle with managers anyway. An Ancelotti would only be a stop gap. By the time Giggs would feasibly take over all his mates will have been binned off. Young team with smatterings of exerience, £#%&! it.

Plus, there's always Mourinho
Closed Thread