Part 36 Offer

Default Scholes is finished...

Unread 02-04-2008, 09:59 AM
antonin jablonsky

confirmed
nft:shakehead:

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:01 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

He wasn't great last night but his quality still shone through. I though he looked like he lacked a bit of sharpness but could still do a job, he gave a away a lot of sloppy balls but that is a lack of concentration rather than not having the legs any more.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

To be fair he's been playing in a midfield with three center mids, put him in a two man midfield and he may still struggle a bit, seems to be gaining in confidence lately though and so maybe he really is back to his best.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Spiffy

There's loads of threads on this subject. Can we expect a thread like this every time he plays well?

At the end of the day, due to his age and injuries, we can't rely on him for a full season. We need to have cover/replacement for him. Hopefully Anderson will be that man. To pretend Scholes is like "having a new player" is wrong. He's an old player who can still cut the mustard, but not all the time.

Thanks for your time.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:04 AM
marlo stansfield

4 and a half good games this season.

lets not get giddy ffs.

he is playing well in these three man midfields though.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Tiberian

He has surprised me. Physically I thought he was virtually gone at the top level, but his intelligence on the ball is allowing him to mask that to a degree. Playing with Carrick is crucial to him, complete confidence in each others ability to protect the ball and use it quickly.

I still do not think he could function in a standard 4-4-2 but we rarely play that formation any more, especially in big games.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:05 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
There's loads of threads on this subject. Can we expect a thread like this every time he plays well?

Well there's about 5 if he doesn't.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:06 AM
puressence

amazing how all the top coaches in the world still rate him one of the top 5 midfielders in the world today :shakehead:

Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
He wasn't great last night but his quality still shone through. I though he looked like he lacked a bit of sharpness but could still do a job, he gave a away a lot of sloppy balls but that is a lack of concentration rather than not having the legs any more.
Scholes had a blinder last night I thought. This is how he will play for us now. I am not suggesting he is at the level he once was but if used sparingly he could win that competition for us. He and Carrick as a pair are a joy to watch in terms of movement, one touch passing and their ability to control a match is unrivalled in Europe. I have been critical of United away from Europe in the past but they looked like a proper team last night. Serenity Now called it the other day re total football - everyone knows their job, their positions, their responsiblities. Then when you have matchwinners like Ron and Rooney anything is possible. Look at O'Shea's performance when he came on - solid as a rock. It's United's to lose. The recovery since the derby has been magical. I just hope we retain the momentum and reach our potential this year - if not it will be a travesty.

antonin jablonsky

Given how poorly Anderson played, him and Carrick were a virtual 2 man midfield last night.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
4 and a half good games this season.

lets not get giddy ffs.

he is playing well in these three man midfields though.
that's the point, that's where he is useful to us now.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Couldn't agree more.

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
amazing how all the top coaches in the world still rate him one of the top 5 midfielders in the world today :shakehead:
Not all of them, vio, El Calafate and Gog Coch all think he's shit.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy

At the end of the day, due to his age and injuries, we can't rely on him for a full season. We need to have cover/replacement for him. Hopefully Anderson will be that man. To pretend Scholes is like "having a new player" is wrong. He's an old player who can still cut the mustard, but not all the time.

Thanks for your time.
No.

See my post above - I don't think we can rely on him for a full season, neither does Ferguson. In reality he is an experienced, talented pro that we should call on in big games to play with 3 others in midfield to stifle the opposition by controlling the midfield. It's what AC Milan have been doing for 5 years with their midfield. Not anymore mind.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:10 AM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Given how poorly Anderson played, him and Carrick were a virtual 2 man midfield last night.
ive noticed how easy and immediate people are to call anderson poor after a performance yet refuse to even suggest paul scholes has had a poor game.especially when he has had more poor than good games this season.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:11 AM
puressence

Quote:
ive noticed how easy and immediate people are to call anderson poor after a performance yet refuse to even suggest paul scholes has had a poor game.especially when he has had more poor than good games this season.
what time you at the emirates tonite

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
what time you at the emirates tonite
not going.

you?

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
I don't bother playing one player against another like some on here I am merely pointing out scholesy had a good game. He can be very very useful to us provided he is used correctly, which recently he has been. Look at his last 2 performances mate. Some sublime passing and excellent control.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:14 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Anderson was poor last night. Scholes has been poor a number of times this season, particularly after his injury when you wanted him hounded out of the club. Anderson has been brilliant for most of this season but has looked jaded, his 30 minutes against Villa aside, recently. Scholes has been very good or better in his last 3 games.
Closed Thread