United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
The unveiling/press conference should be interesting. Wonder if that £#%&!ing mop headed, self congratulatory, back slapping, drunken @#%&! John Delaney will be sat alongside Keane?

Detest that @#%&!, a national embarassment

Unread 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
he's £#%&!ing terrifying isn't he Imagine having that has your manager and not knowing which side of the bed he got up from, one day to the next. £#%&! that.

Unread 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Child of Darkness

Love Keane. I'd have gone to war with him .

Unread 03-11-2013, 02:40 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Brockman
O'Neill is from Maghera in south County Derry - closer to Belfast than to Derry City, and a 'mixed' area.

Never the less he was a nationalist playing for Northern Ireland during the madness years.

I don't know if Nationalists were allowed to play for the Republic in those days but for me O'Neil was either a very brave or a very foolish man as I always got the impression that Windsor Park, was a cauldron of hate for people like O'Neil in the 80s.

Please tell me if I'm wrong but I always thought the atmosphere at Windsor Park must have been perceived as “poisonous” for Nationalists as just watching games on the TV in England the ground fans seemed to be full of Union flags and the crowd sang inflammatory songs in favour of Protestant paramilitaries etc.

Unread 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
rebelcountyred

I'd say that catholic players playing for NI would not have had that much of an issue as their Protestant counterparts would have been playing in England and would have been more say worldly and removed from the small minded bigotry (bigotry in both persuasions).
The terraces of Windsor park would have been another matter,, remember comments from republic of Ireland players to the effect that the hate and venom directed at them in a world cup qualifier left them shaken.
Thankfully we have moved on.

Unread 03-11-2013, 06:15 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred

The terraces of Windsor park would have been another matter,, remember comments from republic of Ireland players to the effect that the hate and venom directed at them in a world cup qualifier left them shaken.
Yes it was Paul McGrath who said he'd never experienced such hostility in all his playing days and couldn't believe the secterian and narrow minded bigotry.

Unread 03-11-2013, 06:22 PM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
Yes it was Paul McGrath who said he'd never experienced such hostility in all his playing days and couldn't believe the secterian and narrow minded bigotry.
New to Northern Ireland, Paul?

Unread 03-11-2013, 07:06 PM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
New to Northern Ireland, Paul?
tbf you could even tell watching the match on the reply that the atmosphere was extraordinary, surely must affect the players, I'd shit myself tbh

Unread 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
He is literally the most Irish looking man in the world
Careful now

Unread 03-11-2013, 08:00 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness
He's not on his own with being frustrated at players who aren't as good as him.

Bobby Charlton swerved management cos of this
Tried it at Preston, failed, and that was it apart from a caretaker stint at Wigan.

McKinstry's biography of the Charlton's says that Bobby did find it hard dealing with players that didn't have his innate skills.

Unread 04-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
I'd say that catholic players playing for NI would not have had that much of an issue as their Protestant counterparts would have been playing in England and would have been more say worldly and removed from the small minded bigotry (bigotry in both persuasions).
we have now wee man no longer posts on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Careful now

Unread 05-11-2013, 10:58 PM
aardvark

can't believe this is an actual thing. just been confirmed on itv.
Closed Thread