United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: do you want argentina and portugal to qualify for the world cup?
yes, i want to see tevez, heinze, deco and carvalho in the world cup 22 34.38%
no, £#%&! them off 31 48.44%
that french winger's head is really big 19 29.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:03 AM
borsuk

Default "i really hope argentina and portugal get through, don't want a world cup without ronaldo and messi"

seems to be a very popular point of view at the moment. personally i'd be quite happy for them both to go out. i get plenty of chances to see messi and ronaldo where they play best (ie in their club sides) and this argument seems the same to me as the argument that it's better to have the 'big four', say, as the semi-finalists of the fa cup that to have some upsets. doesn't make any sense to me at all.

i like upsets and shocks in competitions. i think the world cup would be a lot more interesting with uruguay, ecuador and, say, bosnia than with argentina and portugal.

opinions? poll to follow...

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:07 AM
forwardirektion

Default Re: "i really hope argentina and portugal get through, don't want a world cup without ronaldo and me

You want the best players there, all the 2nd level european sides are much of a muchness with solid formations and little flair.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:10 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Default Re: "i really hope argentina and portugal get through, don't want a world cup without ronaldo and me

Seen as though i watch the World Cup/Euro's for my summer football fix, i hope Messi and Ronnie are there.

Could not give a £#%&! who wins it, just want quality football otherwise another dull summer.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Pop

Dunno how anybody would rather watch some toothless Bosnian peasant than Ronaldo in full flow at the WC.

Couldn't give a shit if Argentina don't qualify though.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Ginners

for me the world cup should be a showcase of the best players in the world, it should be entertaining football not effective football on display. its like when teams like milwall, southampton, cardiff get to the fa cup final, ruins the day.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Baron

If you don't qualify, you don't deserve to be there - "best two players in the world" or not, it's not a one man game.

Saying that, I genuinely think if there were half way competent coaches in charge of either side they'd both be there already, so it does seem that one man can make a hell of a difference...

The World Cup is now a grotesquely overblown marketing & media £#%&!athon, but I'll still be taking 2 weeks off next Summer to plonk my arse in front of the telly & watch as much as possible and it would be nice to see the best players in the world make a case for their monikers on that stage.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:17 AM
forzagarza

They should change the qualification to a Eurovision style vote and allow transfer e.g. swap 13 Vanuatians for 2 Ecudorians.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Stickman

Ronaldo and Messi need to be there as theyre more likely to produce those 'world cup moments' youll look back on.

Why wouldnt you want the best players there I dunno

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:25 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

If they were that good they would have managed to fire their teams there.

On another point the percentages on the results add up to 110%, is this a deliberate footballing cliche?

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:28 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
If they were that good they would have managed to fire their teams there.

On another point the percentages on the results add up to 110%, is this a deliberate footballing cliche?
You seen Portugal's back four and Argentina's midfield?

One player does not make a team, i watched Portugal against Denmark the other week how they only got a point out of that game i do not know.

I hope they both make it, neither will win it though unless Argentina sort out of there issues and get a coach in who can handle the job.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Ronaldo and Messi need to be there as theyre more likely to produce those 'world cup moments' youll look back on.

Why wouldnt you want the best players there I dunno
yup exactly. messi, ronaldo etc are capable of wonder goals, you wont look back in 20 years on croatia battling to a 1-0 victory, you look back on the magical moments.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Zorg

If they don't get there, at least we won't have to listen to cliché after cliché about Ronaldo, United, winking, Rooney, diving, blah blah yawn £#%&!ing blah.

The good thing about obscure teams qualifying is that the pundits are caught in the headlights as the Big Book of Tired Clichés doesn't have a chapter on Bosnia.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:34 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
You seen Portugal's back four and Argentina's midfield?

One player does not make a team, i watched Portugal against Denmark the other week how they only got a point out of that game i do not know.

I hope they both make it, neither will win it though unless Argentina sort out of there issues and get a coach in who can handle the job.
I have yes, Portugals back 4 has a 20 odd million quid centreback in it and Argentina's midfield is just fine if the right players get a call up but their manager is a balloon.

And even if youre right does that would mean people want to see substandard teams out just because one of them does stepovers.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:39 AM
borsuk

Quote:
allowed multiple votes in case anyone wanted to throw in a c.

'effective football', 'much of a muchness' ffs.

some of the comments on this thread :shakehead:

bosnia are possibly the most entertaining side in europe. very attacking, fantastic to watch. ecuador, paraguay, chile and uruguay have been far more expressive and entertaining than either brazil or argentina this time.

don't people watch football any more? is it only big star names that count these days?

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:42 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
I have yes, Portugals back 4 has a 20 odd million quid centreback in it and Argentina's midfield is just fine if the right players get a call up but their manager is a balloon.

And even if youre right does that would mean people want to see substandard teams out just because one of them does stepovers.
Unfortunatly yes, "football supporters" now want to be "entertained" now

No in theory, i hope they both make it, otherwise it'll be a dull summer without the two best players in the world both of which make the game a better product and can offer moments of brilliance.

If not i'll still watch alot of games, hopefully next summer somebody can take the competition by suprise, always thought Russia could suprise a few if they make it.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:42 AM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

bosnia are possibly the most entertaining side in europe. very attacking, fantastic to watch. ecuador, paraguay, chile and uruguay have been far more expressive and entertaining than either brazil or argentina this time.

don't people watch football any more? is it only big star names that count these days?
Celebrity culture innit. Hate those @#%&!s who make sweeping statements like that.

Unread 13-10-2009, 10:43 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

I do, only United though.

Unread 13-10-2009, 11:17 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I do, only United though.
That would explain why you don't rate Super Jags, you'll have never seen him play.

Unread 13-10-2009, 11:22 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
That would explain why you don't rate Super Jags, you'll have never seen him play.
or get undressed for PE.

Unread 13-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Sloppy

Im just looking forward to seeing these.

Closed Thread