United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 28-02-2024, 04:18 PM
believe

Football When Johnny goes marching down the wing

New ROI interim coach apparently. What’s the thoughts of the Irish contingent?

Unread 28-02-2024, 04:19 PM
Bunker Buster

We're going to win the lot ! qualify

Unread 28-02-2024, 04:22 PM
Finport Red

Was just thinking yesterday how he was probably better than any of our current back four.

Unread 28-02-2024, 04:25 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post
Was just thinking yesterday how he was probably better than any of our current back four.
and goalkeeper

Unread 28-02-2024, 04:28 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
and goalkeeper

Would love to see an ex red go on and have a brilliant managerial career but it just never seems to happen. I think the biggest problem is they’re all Ferguson’s players and I imagine they’ve all adopted traits of his that just aren’t right for the modern game.

Unread 28-02-2024, 04:40 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
and goalkeeper

Unread 28-02-2024, 04:49 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
and goalkeeper

Unread 28-02-2024, 04:56 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post

Would love to see an ex red go on and have a brilliant managerial career but it just never seems to happen. I think the biggest problem is they’re all Ferguson’s players and I imagine they’ve all adopted traits of his that just aren’t right for the modern game.
Like winning?

Unread 28-02-2024, 04:59 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona View Post
Like winning?
Cracker that pal.

Unread 28-02-2024, 05:06 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

It's not that his traits aren't right for the modern game, it's that they're not replicatable. Fergie was a genius and would thrive in the modern era as he was able to adapt to any era, one of his greatest strengths was man-management and understanding the psycology of any player and the chemistry of a team.

The problem for his former players who become managers is that this is all innate, this isn't like copying and pasting Pep's tactics which depends much less on individual creativity hence that lego-head #@&%! at Arsenal already matched the highest league finish of any of Fergie's players in a major league. It's why possession based gimps are ten a penny, it's basically a cheat formula to reduce risk and bore everyone to tears by strangling games.

Unread 28-02-2024, 05:11 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Cracker that pal.

Unread 28-02-2024, 05:19 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
It's not that his traits aren't right for the modern game, it's that they're not replicatable. Fergie was a genius and would thrive in the modern era as he was able to adapt to any era, one of his greatest strengths was man-management and understanding the psycology of any player and the chemistry of a team.

The problem for his former players who become managers is that this is all innate, this isn't like copying and pasting Pep's tactics which depends much less on individual creativity hence that lego-head #@&%! at Arsenal already matched the highest league finish of any of Fergie's players in a major league. It's why possession based gimps are ten a penny, it's basically a cheat formula to reduce risk and bore everyone to tears by strangling games.
It’s undeniable that SAF could adapt but I seriously think he’d struggle in today’s game. I think the consistent with him throughoit the changes was that players feared him. Players today don’t fear anyone or have any respect for anyone other than their agents.

Ferguson always had a player that he had to bend over for and change the rules in this squad he’d have to make allowances for 95% of them. Imagine him giving the hairdryer to this squad they’ve come out in the second half in tears.

Unread 28-02-2024, 05:20 PM
suedeshoes

Johnny who?

Unread 28-02-2024, 05:24 PM
Hans Rimmer

Quote:
It’s undeniable that SAF could adapt but I seriously think he’d struggle in today’s game. I think the consistent with him throughoit the changes was that players feared him. Players today don’t fear anyone or have any respect for anyone other than their agents.

Ferguson always had a player that he had to bend over for and change the rules in this squad he’d have to make allowances for 95% of them. Imagine him giving the hairdryer to this squad they’ve come out in the second half in tears.
This is completely untrue. They feared letting him down, they didn't fear him by any stretch.

No manager in any industry succeeds based on 'fear' culture.

Unread 28-02-2024, 05:31 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

He certainly didn't rule by fear and when you consider the strength of the characters we had in those dressing rooms and the many risks we took on the field individually and tactically it wouldn't have been possible if the players were scared. Of course he could deploy fear when he needed to but that caricature was primarily based on his intimidation of referees/opposition/authority more than it was for how he managed the squad.

Unread 28-02-2024, 05:40 PM
Ethers

Quote:

How many top players go on to become top managers anyway though? A very very small percentage.

I think that’s %@#$&!s about his players taking on his traits that aren’t right for the modern game. If we take his biggest rival, Wenger, a lot of people would fawn over him and say he was ahead of his time etc, certainly wouldn’t say he had traits that would see him unsuited to the modern game.

So how have Wenger’s players done as managers? Much better than Ferguson’s?

Unread 29-02-2024, 12:06 AM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rimmer View Post
This is completely untrue. They feared letting him down, they didn't fear him by any stretch.

No manager in any industry succeeds based on 'fear' culture.
That’s a sensible post. Guilt is a great motivator. But it helps if your players are Catholics.

Unread 29-02-2024, 01:00 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
That’s a sensible post. Guilt is a great motivator. But it helps if your players are Catholics.
Who are the confirmed Catholics?

Bruno & Dalot;
Varane;
Casemiro;
Antony;
Garnacho;

Fair bit of Popery in the dressing room. Wouldn't trust any of the likely Protestants as far as i could throw them apart from Hojlund.

Wan Bissaka is a definite Prod. Probably a £#%&!ing Baptist or something.

Unread 29-02-2024, 05:46 AM
Offerington

Quote:
and goalkeeper