United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:09 AM
utd99

Default We may be making a big mistake letting Kuszczak leave.

I know he's not that well thought of by a lot of reds, but sometimes I think that's because his face doesn't fit more than anything particular that he has done wrong. To be honest I think he has had a rough deal.

He was a very good 'keeper at West Brom and his opportunities to stake a proper claim have been minimal (30 Prem starts since '06 I believe), but as much as I'm not advocating he should have started before Edwin, every club needs an able deputy, and I'm struggling to think of times where he has let us down when called upon.

The act of picking a replacement for someone like VanDer Sar is a thankless task. The man is composure personified, and that's the art of being a United goalie. You could see some hot-shot making 25 saves per match for someone else, but that's not what being our keeper involves, because you might only be called into action 2 or 3 times per match, so concentration and calm are what's needed, that's why Foster failed. He can £#%&! up royally in a game for Birmingham, but then make 5 outstanding saves to keep them in a match, and he's a hero. Here, that £#%&! up costs us points, and he might not see the ball again for the rest of the game, so that's what we remember. Kuszczak at least has the experience of playing with our defenders for 5 years, and if our next goalkeeper turns out to be a lemon, we would be begging for PiG, believe me.

Goalies are a funny breed, and no matter what they have done previously, or how much you paid, if for some reason their head is not entirely straight or they lose confidence it's game over. Berbs suffered for a long time after his move, yet he had the benefit of others to step up, no-one is standing behind the keeper.

It may be a bit controversial, but I think the PiG is our third best 'keeper of the last 20 years. The problem he has had is that our goalies are constantly compared to Schmeichel and VDS, which is a bit unfair, but if you contrasted instead with Foster, Taibi, Bosnich and even Barthez (maybe I'm biased 'cos I couldn't stand him, he was never a United 'keeper to me) then I think the assessment holds up better.

Anyway, tin hat on, but I think that starting next year with three 'keepers who have never played for us could be a big, big mistake, but hey ho, that's why we trust in the wizard I guess.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Grimson

Default Re: We may be making a big mistake letting Kuszczak leave.

He wants to leave tho, doesn't he? Sounds like the only way to keep him is to promise him first crack at the number one spot, and Fergie doesnt want to do that.

Today summed him up: made a couple decent saves, one fantastic one, spooned every other backpass, and dropped a cross for no reason under no pressure. I do think he would be a good number one at a smaller club.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:15 AM
poppy

I was just talking to Willy van de Kerkhof and he was saying talks are at a pretty advanced stage for Big Ed to do another year.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Mr_Ed

Sure we will... Just ask Roy Carroll

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:19 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
He wants to leave tho, doesn't he? Sounds like the only way to keep him is to promise him first crack at the number one spot, and Fergie doesnt want to do that.

Today summed him up: made a couple decent saves, one fantastic one, spooned every other backpass, and dropped a cross for no reason under no pressure. I do think he would be a good number one at a smaller club.
Every single memeber of our squad should have the same opportunity to claim a spot in the first eleven if their performances merit it. It's the right and proper way to manage a big squad. I think if he were told you have the same chance as the guy coming in, he would stay.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:21 AM
RedMenace

Van Der Gouw was a great no 2, solid keeper and never was under any illusions that he should be no 1. I know you want competition between your keepers ideally but more than any other position there'll be a clearly defined pecking order and little chance for rotation.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:22 AM
toseeunited

i don't compare pig to anyone else at united past or present, i take him for face value, and he is a good shot stopper, but nothing more. his distribution is the worst i've seen from a premier league goalkeeper, and certainly isn't up to the standards expected of a manchester united keeper.

it's him who wants to leave, so good luck to him.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:24 AM
History

It's hard to spell though. Does my head in, end up having 3 goes at it, and just settle on PIG.

As long as we have a good number 1, No 2 isnt a big deal, As they come in every once in a while, and they're hardly going to cost us a title with 4 apps per season.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:26 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Van Der Gouw was a great no 2, solid keeper and never was under any illusions that he should be no 1. I know you want competition between your keepers ideally but more than any other position there'll be a clearly defined pecking order and little chance for rotation.
Which is probably why this has come up now, with Edwin retiring, rather than earlier. PiG doesn't strike me as a smacked-arse, but unless he was told when he came in that he was number two and that's that, then I can't blame him for wanting to move on.

Problem with offering him that shot now, is that you are unlikely to get the calibre of 'keeper you want unless they know they will be first choice.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Every single memeber of our squad should have the same opportunity to claim a spot in the first eleven if their performances merit it. It's the right and proper way to manage a big squad. I think if he were told you have the same chance as the guy coming in, he would stay.
Well, his don't.

I agree he's been good as a number 2, very good even. But that doesn't mean he could do the job as number one, playing all the big games, tough away, Europe etc. The mis-kicks, little drops here and there, general uneasiness - 50+ appearances a season and those would add up to goals. Fergie clearly thinks so, anyway. So that's that.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:29 AM
utd99

Also, Scrabble: The Manchester United deluxe edition, will be a lot £#%&!ing harder now.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:33 AM
utd99

Quote:
So that's that.
Ok then, sorted.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:35 AM
poppy

He's got a weird kicking technique. It's like he's always reaching for the ball, making contact a good few inches farther away from his body than is the norm. It's probably not the case, as they'd surely have ironed out something so simple, but that's how it appears.

Saying that, it's not as easy as it seems. When a keeper has a niggle and an outfield player takes the goal kick, they often struggle to get great distance. Vidic's effort on Wednesday was not too shabby, but still a good 10-15 metres short of what VDS manages.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Ok then, sorted.
Not according to me, according to Fergie.

Agree with poppy re: his kicking technique. He's just not a natural.

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:43 AM
utd99

Quote:
Not according to me, according to Fergie.

Agree with poppy re: his kicking technique. He's just not a natural.
Ok, I'm conceding to you Mr Grimson, because I have just comitted the most epic fail on another thread (I said we won the 99 Champions league at the bernabeu), so I'm off to lay on a bed of nails for two weeks.

Later.

Unread 10-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
It's hard to spell though. Does my head in, end up having 3 goes at it, and just settle on PIG.

As long as we have a good number 1, No 2 isnt a big deal, As they come in every once in a while, and they're hardly going to cost us a title with 4 apps per season.
With all due respect, exhibit A didn't help the cause :

The prosecution rests, m'lud.

Unread 10-04-2011, 02:04 AM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo

Foster was a number 3

Oh well, Fosters just in it for Craic and Bantz. He doesnt care neither should we

Unread 10-04-2011, 02:05 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo

Guilty!

Unread 10-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Erics Collar

is this a serious thread op?

Unread 10-04-2011, 02:46 AM
Sparky***

I'd ask him to hold the door as he leaves but he'd probably spill it.
Closed Thread