United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-12-2023, 08:09 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
Just a bit frustrated, sorry. I try not to go out of my way to offend people (it is the internet after all) but I am so staggered that intelligent and sensible Utd supporters don’t agree.

The first bit of your reply is just straw man. I’ve clearly said ETH is not without fault, nor do I think he’s the best manager in the world, but I like the way he’s dealt with the situations he’s been given and I do not think changing him will do anything.

Could he have made a better sub here, has a couple of signings not worked out (though this should not be all on him) - of course… does it make a jot of difference overall… nope.
I simply can’t agree with your last paragraph, there are plenty of personnel decisions I think would improve the situation but regardless, there are no building blocks in place for future success. No style of play and it doesn’t look like we are being coached with an eye to the future, 18 months in we should be seeing more and at a minimum we should be working as hard as every other top10 team does.

Unread 03-12-2023, 08:38 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
I simply can’t agree with your last paragraph, there are plenty of personnel decisions I think would improve the situation but regardless, there are no building blocks in place for future success. No style of play and it doesn’t look like we are being coached with an eye to the future, 18 months in we should be seeing more and at a minimum we should be working as hard as every other top10 team does.
Dunno Chris. We saw this about every coach that comes in. If the manager tells him to play on the rw and supply the striker and he does nothing of the sort… pretty fundamental stuff even for him but he wants his goal stats (Bruno knows) For all their dominance, we got beat 1-0 not 4-0. If we merely got 7/10 performances from Rashford and Martial, instead of 0/10 we should’ve won that, or at least got a point and everyone would have gone home happy. It would’ve made a difference. But they just can’t be arsed and wilfully serve up that disgraceful, deliberately self indulgent shit. Absolute disrespect to fans, manager, team mates and club. If he pulls that stunt at OT the crowd need to let him know instead of passive acceptance.

Unread 03-12-2023, 08:43 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Dunno Chris. We saw this about every coach that comes in. If the manager tells him to play on the rw and supply the striker and he does nothing of the sort… pretty fundamental stuff even for him but he wants his goal stats (Bruno knows) For all their dominance, we got beat 1-0 not 4-0. If we merely got 7/10 performances from Rashford and Martial, instead of 0/10 we should’ve won that, or at least got a point and everyone would have gone home happy. It would’ve made a difference. But they just can’t be arsed and wilfully serve up that disgraceful, deliberately self indulgent shit. Absolute disrespect to fans, manager, team mates and club. If he pulls that stunt at OT the crowd need to let him know instead of passive acceptance.
We are playing 11 vs 9 or 10 every week. We can’t win big games with that, but the manager now has to make the call. Rashford has to go. And martial. And the Scottish player.

Unread 03-12-2023, 08:52 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
turk
awb lindelof licha shaw
casemiro mainoo mount (or eriksen)
bruno hojlund garnacho

not all 10h players (impossible?) but this team would have won last night. problem is not 10h, never has been, never will be. 10h is actually overperforming considering the club's ownership structure and injury list
leaving aside the players not available, you would have to be insane to think mount is the answer to anything.

playing shaw centre back wasn't a bad call. what was a bad call was not playing sergio at left back. also should have played mainoo and amrabat in midfield. that "front three" makes sense. so he just needed an additional midfielder. maybe playing dalot right side of midfield would have made sense, given the options.

Unread 03-12-2023, 09:01 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
I give ETH a pass for Rashford because there’s no excuse for his slapped arse of a face but no-one is playing well and very few are busting a gut, that’s on the manager.

Unread 03-12-2023, 09:18 PM
Stickman

Ole ball minus the vibes and stardust.

Not for me.

Unread 03-12-2023, 09:27 PM
Sheik JaBooty

Call me old fashioned, but i think we have a better chance of properly competing in 2 years with ten Hag and a proper structure around him than with Rashford and Martial up front, Bruno running all over the shop and throwing his arms about, Maguire, Wan and Dalot at the back and The Scottish Player playing deep (sorta) midfield.

If we can't finally tin them and properly move on, we can just copy and paste all these posts into the De Zerbi surveillance 24/25 thread.

Unread 03-12-2023, 09:45 PM
Stickman

It doesn’t have to be either or….

Unread 03-12-2023, 09:51 PM
Denis Irwell

So, if Jim facilitates moving Martial, Sancho (remember him?) and Rashford on, replaces them, and any other bad eggs, we should see an improvement. ETH has made some odd calls but sometimes it’s not clear whether it’s lack of direction or players who are doing (or not) what they want to do. Probably both. The recruitment could’ve been better, which appears to be largely on ETH but a general lack of cohesion there. Some duds for sure. You could make a long list of duds that Fergie brought in and they were either shifted on or became squad players. Sick of changing managers and sticking with @#%&!ish players. It’s a lazy “solution” that hasn’t worked. Eth had a decent first season and there’s been enough to build on, at least, at this stage.

As an aside, sick of “inverted wingers”. Usually cowardly, wannabe strikers without the responsibility or expectation of being a striker. If we must, at least change around during games to/from orthodox to inverted. We make it eaand predictable for defenders

Unread 03-12-2023, 10:03 PM
jem

Quote:
ETH has made some odd calls but sometimes it’s not clear whether it’s lack of direction or players who are doing (or not) what they want to do.
he hasn't picked a balanced team since he has been here, unless you count villa (h) last year.

Unread 03-12-2023, 10:33 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
he hasn't picked a balanced team since he has been here, unless you count villa (h) last year.
Absolutely incredible in that case that he’s managed to win more games in his first season than any other United manager ever.

Unread 03-12-2023, 10:46 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Absolutely incredible in that case that he’s managed to win more games in his first season than any other United manager ever.
we won 100% of the games in which he picked a balanced team.

Unread 03-12-2023, 10:57 PM
Bunker Buster

I'd back him for 10 years ...

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:12 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
I'd back him for 10 years ...

At the very least he deserves a chance to work under Big Jim and the team of world class people he’s putting together. Judge him then.

Wish people would acknowledge the absolutely shit hand Erik has been dealt in terms of things happening above him. He’s had a year of uncertainty about the club being sold, and now he’s pretty much in limbo waiting for his new boss to start, who will be looking to change pretty much everything.

Living in fantasy land if you don’t think that’s going to seep down to the gaffer, and the players.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:15 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

At the very least he deserves a chance to work under Big Jim and the team of world class people he’s putting together. Judge him then.

Wish people would acknowledge the absolutely shit hand Erik has been dealt in terms of things happening above him. He’s had a year of uncertainty about the club being sold, and now he’s pretty much in limbo waiting for his new boss to start, who will be looking to change pretty much everything.

Living in fantasy land if you don’t think that’s going to seep down to the gaffer, and the players.
yes, he's had issues that weren't his fault. I don't want him sacked. I do want him to pick a midfield, though.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:21 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yes, he's had issues that weren't his fault. I don't want him sacked. I do want him to pick a midfield, though.
So do I at this point pal.

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:52 PM
Jack Duckworth

Exclamation

You can't keep sacking your manager every 2-3 years

Erik ten Years

Unread 03-12-2023, 11:57 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
You can't keep sacking your manager every 2-3 years

Erik ten Years
Id be happy enough for it to happen just to annoy Marlo.

Unread 04-12-2023, 12:10 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
So the bigger picture is the manager is completely powerless?
At the moment, pretty much.

We are literally one of the worst run clubs on the entire planet, and until that changes nothing else will change.

Unread 04-12-2023, 08:18 AM
magic_cantona

The owners still are the biggest problem but there's no way anyone can tell me that we can't be more difficult to play against. We have no structure on the pitch, no rigidity. I said about playing two defensive midfielders and I'll go back that. Newcastle absolutely walked through us, embarrassing. Why not stick Amrabat and Mainoo in front of that back 4 and at least offer some protection? Wait until we had control of the game and then let players get forward more. The Scottish Player, Bruno (just like Scholes said) were chasing everywhere leaving massive gaps. Tell Bruno to play centrally and get the front 3 to do their £#%&!ing jobs (Garnacho at least tried and was our best player up front).

It's ludicrous that ETH doesn't/didn't plug the gaps. He's like a fireman turning up at a burning building with no hose. The whole club is a mess but he can make us @#%&!s to play against. Why's he not stopping us being so porous? It's absolutely mental that we can all see it yet the manager won't change it.

Rashford and Martial are making it worse for their team mates by doing absolutely nowt in terms of chasing back. Hook them ffs, especially when one's gobbing off at you and the other can't be arsed.

EtH isn't helping himself at all
Closed Thread