United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-11-2010, 10:03 AM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Angry I know the price of tickets in this country is ridiculous

but this is £#%&!ing unbelievable.

Arsenal may have been founded as a team for factory staff and featured as an iconic working-class club in the film of Nick Hornby's best-seller Fever Pitch, but they are about to take another giant step away from their traditional, core support.

The cost of an 'ordinary' seat for a Premier League game at the Emirates Stadium in the New Year is poised to break the £100 barrier - which would make them the most expensive non-hospitality seats in the history of English football. It will also push ticket prices into a frightening new era.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz15ur9YWar

Unread 22-11-2010, 10:09 AM
waynes ear's

Default Re: I know the price of tickets in this country is ridiculous

vat increase

Unread 22-11-2010, 10:38 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
vat increase
VAT increase has largely gone ungrumbled about but i think it's going to piss a lot of people off when everything is suddenly more expensive.

Unread 22-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Fountz

absolutely £#%&!ing ridiculous.

Tickets should be no more than £15-£20 absolute max.

Break down what it is you are actually getting for your money and football simply doesn't stack up on a week by week basis. Sure there's perhaps 2-3 great games a season but even ok-good ones simply aren't worth £70 and a days' worth of hassle.

For £100 I could go have two nights out taking in a band, a few drinks and kebab on the way home.

Can not wait for the arse end to fall out of football.

Let our Season Tickets go at the end of the 96-97 season ( fittingly Eric's last game against West Ham was out last as ST holders ) after being mucked around yet again by the club as to where we were sat. Only very very rarely do I regret it.

Unread 22-11-2010, 11:13 AM
BulgarianSpectator

I'm not defending the cost of tickets, but a 2 hours show at the theatre or a major gig will cost £50 minimum. It's simply that the price of everything now is outrageous.

Unread 22-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Withers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgarianSpectator
I'm not defending the cost of tickets, but a 2 hours show at the theatre or a major gig will cost £50 minimum. It's simply that the price of everything now is outrageous.
Do you go the the theatre or a major gig twice a week?

Unread 22-11-2010, 11:36 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
Check who you're talking too, of course he does ffs. Usually in different continents too.

Unread 22-11-2010, 11:59 AM
BulgarianSpectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Check who you're talking too, of course he does ffs. Usually in different continents too.
:shakehead:
Rather than be dopey @#%&!, why consider the valid point and comparison that's being made?

If you go see a major act like at a major stadium, it's going to set you back £100+, just as football matches may do at some grounds in some seats at some point in the future. And yet you can see cheap football by watching a local team in the same way you can see a local band for next to nothing. It's called perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
2 games a week? So teams play 100 a year?
Oh no, wait, it's 50-60 a year, half at home, half away... but why the £#%&! worry about reality when you have a unrelated point to raise?

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:04 PM
believe

I imagine these people who wish it was 10 quid a ticket are the same people who were made up when Rooney signed a 200k a week contract.

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:05 PM
BulgarianSpectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I imagine these people who wish it was 10 quid a ticket are the same people who were made up when Rooney signed a 200k a week contract.
...and moan when players get £100k a week but don't care that Bono or Phil Collins makes £20m a year.

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Lok

It just doesn't work. Clubs have to charge these prices to continue paying the players ridiculous wages.

At pretty much every level prices are stupid. It's £14 to go and watch my local non league team

Until salary caps come in, prices will continue to rise.

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Lok

Quote:
:shakehead:
Rather than be dopey @#%&!, why consider the valid point and comparison that's being made?

If you go see a major act like at a major stadium, it's going to set you back £100+, just as football matches may do at some grounds in some seats at some point in the future. And yet you can see cheap football by watching a local team in the same way you can see a local band for next to nothing. It's called perspective.

2 games a week? So teams play 100 a year?
Oh no, wait, it's 50-60 a year, half at home, half away... but why the £#%&! worry about reality when you have a unrelated point to raise?
What concerts/plays cost £100?

Oliver!: £17-60
Michael Jackson: £55-75
Jimmy Carr: £15-30
Wimbledon: £40-90 (for a full day)

Those are for the type of thing you do once a year. There's 19 home games a season.

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:14 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Are you really as thick as you look? I would love tickets to be a tenner, and I think 100% of people would rather pay that than £100.
I also imagine 99% of people would prefare footballers to be playing for a couple of grand a week rather than 200grand a week.

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:16 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
There's 19 home games a season.
Realistically, more like 30.

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:18 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
Are you really as thick as you look? I would love tickets to be a tenner, and I think 100% of people would rather pay that than £100.
I also imagine 99% of people would prefare footballers to be playing for a couple of grand a week rather than 200grand a week.
where you happy when Rooney signed his new contract?

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Fountz

Quote:
TBH Bulgs' I was refering more to your Academy type gigs which are circa £15 or so, however, for arguments sake I'll accept your point and counter with this..

..the last "Arena" gig I went to was a couple of years ago when I took my eldest to see Foo Fighters. Tickets were I believe £30-£35. For that we had two support bands and Foo Fighters themselves on for over two hours.

Distinctly remember at the time baulking at the price but then adding context and justifying it by working out that it was still cheaper than taking him to United.

My point is this, what's he going to remember more.. being blown away by Foo Fighters with Grohl on absolute top form or, paying slightly more for the privelege of taking in United v Wigan ?

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:20 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Oh give it a £#%&!ing rest ffs.

Yes I believe Rooney is worth it. (Edit: Not £200K...but worth 'stupid money')

Are O Shea/Park/Gibson etc worth the money they're on? No.

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:20 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Was I £#%&!, who with any sense was?
200k a week ffs.

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Lord Greybear

The problem here though is that it is a supply and demand issue.

While people are stupid enough to pay these ridiculous amounts the clubs will continue to increase prices to the point where they can maximise revenue, even if that means there are empty seats.

I'm sure most clubs will have a "gaggle" of accounts with complex formula about where the absolute perfect balance of ticket prices and "bums on seats" lies. I know airlines do it, it's called "Revenue (Yield) Management"

Make no mistake, we are no longer supporters, we are mearly customers who are receiving a "service".

Unread 22-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Zorg

I went to the Royal Exchange a few months ago and it cost £17.50.

The lead actress got completely starkers literally yards from me. She was a boot, but it was better than Arsenal v Blackburn.
Closed Thread