United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Mr_Ed

Default Re: So our world cup bid has been "significantly harmed"

Bottom line is I don't know if I'm more pissed off with our media ruining our chances or the fact that FIFA is bent and they'll take it out on us by not giving us the world cup (assuming they don't)

either way it's wrong...

Unread 05-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Tell us how he is wrong then

I take it from your smilie you were being facetious but he has a point!

Borsuk loves his little authority on here. He is the first person to pull people up for repeating 'press gossip' as fact..

I for one, having been made aware of the importance of credibility by Borsuk, am awaiting this multinational-FA statement decrying the premier league!

And then their explanation as to why they ALL failed to realise the FA and the premier league are 2 different bodies

Unread 05-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling

Borsuk loves his little authority on here. He is the first person to pull people up for repeating 'press gossip' as fact..

I for one, having been made aware of the importance of credibility by Borsuk, am awaiting this multinational-FA statement decrying the premier league!

And then their explanation as to why they ALL failed to realise the FA and the premier league are 2 different bodies
Bors is the modern day PCSO - he'll cycle up, telling you you're doing something wrong and if you disagree he'll @#%&! you with some CS gas.

Unread 05-11-2010, 01:17 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:

Oh, I disagree with borsers on quite a lot of stuff - as past posts here will certainly confirm.........

But I think he is on fairly safe ground in arguing that our football "authorities" are pisspoor and seen as such, tbh

Unread 05-11-2010, 07:00 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
FFS.

Have all the other FAs sent you a pm telling you this?
no, public statements are enough tbh. blatter and platini, amongst other fifa and uefa figures, have publicly criticised the premier league's levels of debt, 'liberal' financial models, number of foreign players and owners. in addition, the heads of many football associations have come out with similar criticisms, including influential members like spain and germany. the uk government has repeatedly criticised the premier league model in reports and through sports ministers (especially but not only the very decent richard caborn). there are many examples, the english structure is not one which is widely admired; quite a few people would like to see it taken down a peg or two.

reading > not reading

Quote:

the premier league was founded as the fa premier league; the fa has special status and veto power in the premier league's structure; it was founded under the auspices of the fa, breaking away from the football league so as to negotiate its own tv and sponsorship deals. the premier league is very much associated with and tied to the fa. other than that, great point

as to the rest, wtf are you blathering on about?

Unread 05-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

people seem to forget that fifa has many associations (and those bankrolling them) to keep happy. this'll be why they talk a good game about level financial playing fields and about squad quotas etc

and it'll be why the likes of blatter and platini have repeatedly been heard or quoted eulogising about the football, the atmospheres, the spirit and the infrastructure of english football. and maybe even part of why howard webb got the CL and the WC finals.

Unread 05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
PaulParkers

couldnt give a £#%&! tbh champions league

Unread 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM
dodger

What this whole incident has shown ( as if it needed to be highlighted) is teh whole process is a £#%&!ing nonsense.

What should happen is FIFA (or the IOC for the olympics) chooses a country, or city, to host an event. The hosts are asked if they want to do it and a feasibility study is carried. If they can't do it somebody else is chosen. No money is spent on "bids". no money is allowed to change hands in any way shape or form. The people who choose the the host could be kept wholly independent form teh govorning body for extra safety against corruption.

Somebody would try to abuse it at first but once it had been done cleanly a few times it would become the norm and all this %@#$&!s would stop. A rota of sorts could be established quite easily so it was done fairly.

Unread 05-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
the premier league sells well on tv but it's not particularly popular with other football associations, who see it as arrogant, very badly run and quite dangerous in the way it pushes a model of ownership and finance that is often seen as unsustainable and self-destructive. the english media might pat themselves on their collective backs for 'exposing' the odd fifa/uefa scandal but they are generally despised and not lauded overseas - people remember things like the frisk affair and so on. if i was a fifa delegate one of the last places i'd want to give the world cup to would be england.
Some good points. I don't know if the FA are allowed to interfere in the Premier League, lower leagues? However they should but ever where has it's problems. Brazil ffs. They have stadiums for 2012 that in distance are equivelant to Dublin to Zagreb with a terrible transport infrastructure. Isn't that a better reason to avoid a host country? Spain has it's nonsense. Italy ffs. Whatever, a WC in Europe and a WC in England just would be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
can't wait to watch the european championships in poland. should be a trouble-free feast of football tbhnazis.
Ha £#%&!ing hell this is ignorance in HD.

Unread 05-11-2010, 09:38 PM
red in cumbria

I *think* that perhaps Sparks was being sarcastic. Just a wild guess, Fuzzles

Unread 05-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I *think* that perhaps Sparks was being sarcastic. Just a wild guess, Fuzzles
You'd be surprised.

Unread 06-11-2010, 10:46 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
FFS.

Have all the other FAs sent you a pm telling you this?
Well if it had been a thread fao Borsuk

1. You'd have seen it and
2. He would have had to ban them and even The Mighty Borsuk might worry about blackballing (reported self) Sepp for fear of a horse's head (sorry Mr Ed)

Unread 06-11-2010, 10:48 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
the premier league sells well on tv but it's not particularly popular with other football associations, who see it as arrogant, very badly run and quite dangerous in the way it pushes a model of ownership and finance that is often seen as unsustainable and self-destructive. the english media might pat themselves on their collective backs for 'exposing' the odd fifa/uefa scandal but they are generally despised and not lauded overseas - people remember things like the frisk affair and so on. if i was a fifa delegate one of the last places i'd want to give the world cup to would be england.
You are making a fundamental mistake here the issue is not beautiful game but what's your bottom line and who can deliver the most profit. Probably countries like Uk and USA though haven't checked any stats.

Unread 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
You are making a fundamental mistake here the issue is not beautiful game but what's your bottom line and who can deliver the most profit. Probably countries like Uk and USA though haven't checked any stats.
that's true but it doesn't change the fact that the fa is pretty poorly regarded by its peers. on the money making side the goal for fifa isn't just for the w/c to make money when it happens but also - and even mainly - to expand football into new 'markets'. hence the us getting the w/c, hence poland/ukraine getting the euros, s africa etc. that's the main reason why (imo) russia will get the nod and i'll be amazed if the w/c isn't given to australia/s korea/japan in the next decade or so.

Unread 06-11-2010, 11:19 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Well if it had been a thread fao Borsuk

1. You'd have seen it and
2. He would have had to ban them and even The Mighty Borsuk might worry about blackballing (reported self) Sepp for fear of a horse's head (sorry Mr Ed)
as good an excuse as any

Unread 10-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Sloane

reports coming out switzerland that spain and portugal will get 2018 and qatar 2022

Unread 10-11-2010, 03:40 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
reports coming out switzerland that spain and portugal will get 2018 and qatar 2022
they've already started building in qatar.

Unread 10-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
they've already started building in qatar.
are you the forum correspondent for the entire middle east now?

Unread 10-11-2010, 03:42 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
are you the forum correspondent for the entire middle east now?
I could be if you like. I was in Oman last weekend. Lovely place.

Unread 10-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I could be if you like. I was in Oman last weekend. Lovely place.
that would be handy. whats so nice about oman then? do they pronounce it oh-man?
Closed Thread