Default Re: Jimmy McGovern taken to task for anti United bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
He's right about The Wire tbf
%@#$&!s the Wire is fantastic

Unread 09-11-2010, 01:59 PM
red red robbo

TBH I'd be disappointed if he didn't include at least one anti-United rant in everything he does. They make me laugh. The idea that United supporters would find it offensive is laughable. Being ignored, that's offensive

It's also interesting that he's a scouser yet sets most of his stuff in Manchester. I like the fact he is obsessed

Unread 09-11-2010, 02:08 PM
andyroo

To be quite honest there've been times I've wanted to shoot Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand. Contract negotiations, mainly.

Jimmy must be MEC.

Unread 09-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Father Christmas

the epitomy of the bitter, deluded, us-against-the-world scouser.

Unread 09-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Zorg

The Wire not authentic?

Er, ok.

Unread 09-11-2010, 03:01 PM
antonin jablonsky

Cracker was good, the rest of his stuff is Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

Unread 09-11-2010, 03:34 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
The Wire not authentic?

Er, ok.
In one part he claims he only writes about white working class characters because he ‘understands’ them, but in the next he gives his opinion on whether The Wire’s portrayal of the Baltimore projects is ‘authentic’? Thick scouse @#%&! :£#%&!er:

Unread 09-11-2010, 04:04 PM
My Name is Keith

I feel sorry for him in all honesty.

No wonder he's bitter, he's battled with 'scouser' or as some call it 'scouseritis' all his life. You can only imagine how tough that's been for him and all those around him.

From all accounts, he was diagnosed with it when he was first born when doctors first noticed excessive phlegm building up whilst he made his first noises. But as is often the case with pervading diseases of this nature, it's true effects only came to the fore in his teens and adult life. From there, he quickly descended into a spiral of tracksuit wearing and ever more desperate attempts to get 'something for nothing'. A watershed came aged 14 when he falsified his first insurance claim and sold stolen meat on Scotland Road from a tatty Adidas sports bag.

More recently, the disease has sadly taken over completely with increasing 'hard done to, it's not fair on us scousers, we're salt of the earth types and we're funny with it' style rants to anyone who will listen. Obviously, United's success during the last two decades has been based entirely on luck and Sky television.

And perhaps that is why we should forgive his writing which has so obviously become a platform for this treacherous illness which has consumed him.

RIP Jimmy, our lad.

Unread 09-11-2010, 08:27 PM
taff

Quote:
I think they're all over-rated. I couldn't get into The Wire and everybody told me it was great. I was watching it and I thought, Bugsy Malone - these guys are talking about things, but they never convinced me they had experienced the emotions they were describing. It was never authentic for me at all.
what, not even snoop? born to two smackheads, grew up dealing on the streets of baltimore and later did time for second degree murder?

mcgovern's one of these pretentious professional working-class types so no-one is as 'real' as he is. never mind the fact that he's probably solely responsible for perpetuating the generalisation of scousers as maudlin, self-pitying, morbid losers. typical know-nowt ex-schoolteacher, peddling his own contrived social realism as a scenario of authenticity, trying to pretend he has some authority on the world and overrating himself hopelessly in the process.

Unread 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
what, not even snoop? born to two smackheads, grew up dealing on the streets of baltimore and later did time for second degree murder?

mcgovern's one of these pretentious professional working-class types so no-one is as 'real' as he is. never mind the fact that he's probably solely responsible for perpetuating the generalisation of scousers as maudlin, self-pitying, morbid losers. typical know-nowt ex-schoolteacher, peddling his own contrived social realism as a scenario of authenticity, trying to pretend he has some authority on the world and overrating himself hopelessly in the process.
Yep. Spot on.

Unread 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Jimmy McGovern taken to task for anti United bias

Quote:

I like this post. A lot.

Unread 09-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Time For Heroes

TBF I'm glad it was the Beeb who complained and not some United fans. Imagine if it was t'other way around and it was anti-scouse from a manc, there would a phlegm tidal wave spewing down the mearzeee and threats of torchings at Beebs headquarters. I'd say that they'd refuse to pay their tv licenses but I doubt they do anyway.

Unread 09-11-2010, 08:35 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I like this post. A lot.
me too. yhgr taffo

Unread 09-11-2010, 08:36 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Nailed it.

Unread 23-11-2010, 04:55 PM
red red robbo

So did anyone watch Accused last night?

What a pile of shit.

Did make me laugh though, all the squadies lining up to give the corporal a false alibi. Reminded me of something

Unread 23-11-2010, 04:58 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
So did anyone watch Accused last night?
No but some Major General type wasn't half harrumphing about it on the Today Programme this morning.

Unread 23-11-2010, 05:01 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
No but some Major General type wasn't half harrumphing about it on the Today Programme this morning.
It certainly didn't paint a very good picture of life in the British Army.

Unread 23-11-2010, 05:02 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
It certainly didn't paint a very good picture of life in the British Army.
That's pretty much what he said along with lots of spluttering about 'our brave boys', 'BBC a dashed disgrace' etc etc
Closed Thread