United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Mr_Ed

Football So our world cup bid has been "significantly harmed"

I'm in two minds about this...

I'd like to see the world cup over here - think it would be good for the country and my boy would be an age where he could enjoy it properly.

However our press are £#%&!ers and it servers them right if they screw up the bid - however if FIFA are to be exposed are sting operations the correct thing to do? Does that give FIFA the right to reject our bid though?

It'll be a shame if it £#%&!s up the bid and it ends up in Russia - I doubt we'll get chance for another 20 or so years?

Unread 04-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Sparky***

Default Re: So our world cup bid has been "significantly harmed"

not going to happen.

it's as bent as graham norton teabagging alan carr in old compton st.

Unread 04-11-2010, 07:40 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I'm in two minds about this...

I'd like to see the world cup over here - think it would be good for the country and my boy would be an age where he could enjoy it properly.

However our press are £#%&!ers and it servers them right if they screw up the bid - however if FIFA are to be exposed are sting operations the correct thing to do? Does that give FIFA the right to reject our bid though?

It'll be a shame if it £#%&!s up the bid and it ends up in Russia - I doubt we'll get chance for another 20 or so years?
Press are £#%&!ers is right - they probably want to screw up the bid. 4/5 week holiday to Australia/USA or wherever for half a dozen writers from each paper - or cover the World Cup in England at the stadiums they see week in week out.

What you think they prefer ?

Unread 04-11-2010, 07:47 PM
borsuk

the premier league sells well on tv but it's not particularly popular with other football associations, who see it as arrogant, very badly run and quite dangerous in the way it pushes a model of ownership and finance that is often seen as unsustainable and self-destructive. the english media might pat themselves on their collective backs for 'exposing' the odd fifa/uefa scandal but they are generally despised and not lauded overseas - people remember things like the frisk affair and so on. if i was a fifa delegate one of the last places i'd want to give the world cup to would be england.

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
the premier league sells well on tv but it's not particularly popular with other football associations, who see it as arrogant, very badly run and quite dangerous in the way it pushes a model of ownership and finance that is often seen as unsustainable and self-destructive. the english media might pat themselves on their collective backs for 'exposing' the odd fifa/uefa scandal but they are generally despised and not lauded overseas - people remember things like the frisk affair and so on. if i was a fifa delegate one of the last places i'd want to give the world cup to would be england.
can't wait to watch the european championships in poland. should be a trouble-free feast of football tbhnazis.

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:16 PM
taff

one problem is that england, and particularly the english media, have stirred the shit too many times over the course of this campaign: the allegations of vote-rigging and corruption, the outcry over comments from rival parties, the tabloid stings, the foot-in-mouth PR disasters - even if it is ultimately right and proper that some of these issues were brought to public attention, FIFA would much rather they were kept quiet and won't look favourably on our journalists and officials trumpeting them from the rooftops. the best bid for them is one that smiles, sits there and shuts the £#%&! up about this sort of stuff; anything else is a black mark against those who are too happy to talk too much.

that's not to say that we're some noble force unjustly punished for our commitment to truth and fair play - i'm sure there's a venality that exists within our system as well, and i think that element of hypocrisy rankles with FIFA even more. the whole process is pretty reprehensible whichever way you look at it.

russia have to be favourites now. i'd quite like to see a world cup there tbf.

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:28 PM
SilverSurfer

I don't think it's so much the tabloid media Fifa is concerned about, although the Urs Meier (not Anders Frisk) affair didn't help. I don't think they want the better parts of the British press poking their noses into Fifa's accounts and hospitality vices. The guy caught the other week seemed more put out that he'd been duped rather than admit he was in the wrong. It's not just recent stories. There have been tens of very good, well researched stories about Blatter, Jack Warner and others and their cronyism. Blaming the media is easy. Fifa runs an iron grip over these events and stage manages every bit of the World Cup. They don't want the press of the host country coming out with embarrassment after embarrassment.

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:31 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
can't wait to watch the european championships in poland. should be a trouble-free feast of football tbhnazis.
yeah, plenty of nazis in poland. stands to reason after all the good things hitler did to the poles

hooligans here with nationalist tendencies are more likely to be anti-german than neo-nazi. hth.

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
yeah, plenty of nazis in poland. stands to reason after all the good things hitler did to the poles

hooligans here with nationalist tendencies are more likely to be anti-german than neo-nazi. hth.
oh really, so good racists then?

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:45 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
oh really, so good racists then?
if you say so

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Tumescent Throb

SS is about right on this methinks...

still not sure Fifa will particularly care about the serious journalists either though tbh

the world cup in england would be guaranteed sell outs all over the country with large capacities and rip off prices

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Switching Off

Its a scandal that something like this could wreck the English bid tbf. Exposing two corrupt FIFA executives who are prepared to sell their votes? Don't see a single thing wrong with that.

If FIFA had nothing to hide then they wouldn't be worried, but they are corrupt to the core, and they are slowly realising that unless they do everything by the book they'd be exposed time and time again between now and 2018. And of course they never do anything by the book, corrupt @#%&!s.

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM
forzagarza

The FA might be bumbling £#%&!wits, the British press might be @#%&!s but FIFA are despicable basically and need to be shut down. Utterly corrupt and without any moral authority.

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
The FA might be bumbling £#%&!wits, the British press might be @#%&!s but FIFA are despicable basically and need to be shut down. Utterly corrupt and without any moral authority.
Agreed but because of this we'll probably not get the world cup now...

Unread 04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Agreed but because of this we'll probably not get the world cup now...
BUt why would anyone really want it when FIFA are involved? They're criminals and any decent person wouldn't want anything to do with them. If anything it's time for an alternative to be set up.

Unread 04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
BUt why would anyone really want it when FIFA are involved? They're criminals and any decent person wouldn't want anything to do with them. If anything it's time for an alternative to be set up.
Agree with Serious Forza.

If it £#%&!s up our bid its a shame but you can't hold off exposing corruption while we wait for the bid to go thorugh. Plus neither of the two involved were gonna vote for us anyway so it may well have helped. Spain and Portugal were allegedly voting tactically aswell :shakehead:

Unread 04-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
SS is about right on this methinks...
Nazi

Unread 04-11-2010, 11:06 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Exposing two corrupt FIFA executives who are prepared to sell their votes? Don't see a single thing wrong with that.
Except that they were stung with the express intention of trying to discredit rival bids, rather than exposing FIFA venality for its own sake. It's dirty pool.

Unread 04-11-2010, 11:11 PM
koppas

Quote:
FFS.

Have all the other FAs sent you a pm telling you this?

Unread 04-11-2010, 11:28 PM
red in cumbria

Tell us how he is wrong then
Closed Thread