United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: How excited are you for the world cup?
Flat out couldn't care less 23 37.70%
Meh: a little I suppose 18 29.51%
Midling, hope i get into it 14 22.95%
Pretty giddeh 5 8.20%
Full on VINDALooOOOoOO 1 1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:54 AM
Drexl

Default How excited are you for the world cup?

Did you not even realise it starts today, or have you painted your face and hung a flag outside your house?

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:07 AM
shenwen

Not very if I'm being honest. Did a family sweepstake last night to get the juices flowing a bit and give me a team to pull for, but it was very half hearted.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:11 AM
NedKelly

Never felt less interested in a World Cup. Don’t even care about the human rights stuff tbh, it’s just the time of year, the fact it’s killed the season, England fans being their usual embarrassing selves… I just don’t care

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:27 AM
Drexl

I'm the same: just utterly meh

I was thinking back to the Euros and previous world cup: cleared my workload so I could watch every game... looking forward to the Keane/Micah bants videos ()... getting excited by the "who might meet whom" predictions.... but with this tournament, it feels like an unwanted distraction

Will give it a go though

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:28 AM
Lok

It's pretty hard to turn a blind eye to the human rights side of thing so that's making it difficult to get excited about it. But even without that I'm not sure I'd be as excited as usual.

The build up has been very underwhelming. It's cold outside so can't even watch it in a beer garden. There seems to be little excitement for it at all. Normally it's everywhere and you can't avoid it if you tried

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:29 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
England fans being their usual embarrassing selves
Actually if there's a positive even that is nowhere near on the scale of previous. For starters no @#%&! is going.

If the world cup is a festival of football this is the Fyre festival.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:34 AM
AK14

The boy is older enough to be interested in this one so he’s got me looking forward to it too.

He’s got the welsh and Brazil shirts and a wall chart up on his bedroom wall.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:34 AM
Dr Stranger

I’ll enjoy sticking the telly on and there’s some random game on. That’s about it.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:40 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Actually if there's a positive even that is nowhere near on the scale of previous. For starters no @#%&! is going.

If the world cup is a festival of football this is the Fyre festival.
This is the thing - are any actual fans going to be there? Aside from those who got paid to attend of course.

Just got sent a few videos and it’s all locals wearing Argentina shirts etc., marching through the plastic streets pretending to be fans. Very, very odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I’ll enjoy sticking the telly on and there’s some random game on. That’s about it.
I might watch one or two of the early kicks off (9pm here) but have no inclination to stay up late for any games. Except the final and that’s only because I’ve promised the kids they can stay up for it.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:43 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
This is the thing - are any actual fans going to be there? Aside from those who got paid to attend of course.

Just got sent a few videos and it’s all locals wearing Argentina shirts etc., marching through the plastic streets pretending to be fans. Very, very odd
Qatar have paid them to do it. There's a set of about 100 for each team

There's normally 5 or 6 if my Facebook 'friends' that go to world cups and don't stop posting pictures of it. There's only 1 this time and he was living in Saudi Arabia anyway.

Apparently ticket sales are pretty good so there must be a lot arriving late.

I'm sure it'll all get better once the football starts but everything about it seems shit.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:52 AM
Ethers

I know a lot of people who are going tbf. I don’t think anyone wants to spend any longer than necessary out there though so they’re all arriving the day before the first game.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:56 AM
Drexl

I'll watch the opening ceremony, because I reckon they will try to make an ostentatious statement. Fully expect Space X to land a few reusable rockets on the penalty spots full of footballs and the like

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:59 AM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I know a lot of people who are going tbf. I don’t think anyone wants to spend any longer than necessary out there though so they’re all arriving the day before the first game.
welsh fans? understandable

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:05 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
I'll watch the opening ceremony, because I reckon they will try to make an ostentatious statement.
not stoning the gays?

also, £#%&! any world cup where Italy and that glorious national anthem isnt being played

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:07 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
welsh fans? understandable
Both.

Thousands of Wales fans are going to Tenerife to watch it, which is different I guess.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:11 AM
no fun

Looking forward to watching a few games, but cant relax and really enjoy it until England go out

Not being a top red, it’s just the way I feel

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:26 AM
Pop

All very meh. Would rather be watching the PL. England going out will be a highlight, that's not your usual anti-English thing from us, its the satisfaction from listening to those stupid £#%&!ing mind numbing pundits blabbering endlessly on about "the three lions" for two or three weeks ffs.

I hate when you have a cracker of a game, Germany v Holland for example, 3-3 at half time and its "back to the studio to discuss the game but first lets go to the England training camp for an extended interview with Ben White".

£#%&! off.

Watched a bbc doc last night, Messi, I hope Argentina win it, Messi doing a Maradona from the off is the only thing that will make this circus worthwhile.

Obviously hope Ronaldo does his hamstring after a few minutes and misses the whole thing too.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:26 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Both.

Thousands of Wales fans are going to Tenerife to watch it, which is different I guess.
At bare minimum they’ll have a better laugh in Spain.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:39 AM
Patty_b

The only redeeming feature of international tournaments was the fact that there'd always be opportunity a cracking BBQ or two.

Absolute nothing tournament now.

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:42 AM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
The only redeeming feature of international tournaments was the fact that there'd always be opportunity a cracking BBQ or two.

Absolute nothing tournament now.
Get out in the yard and get them steaks going you big £#%&!ing girl

Closed Thread