United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 09-01-2024, 09:00 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Remember him being pictured after that game coming out of the souvenir shop with loads of Utd bags 🤣
I bet that went down well with The Forest fans(not)

Unread 09-01-2024, 09:04 PM
Jethro

Muller purely for the Bavarian bants.

Unread 09-01-2024, 11:18 PM
marlo

fernando Torres. £21m

the front three of him ronaldo and Rooney would have been amazing at the time.

Unread 09-01-2024, 11:19 PM
puressence

Ronaldinho him at peak wow

Unread 09-01-2024, 11:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
fernando Torres. £21m

the front three of him ronaldo and Rooney would have been amazing at the time.
I always wondered at the time how Atletico were constantly churning out these £#%&!ing world class strikers yet we were never in for any of them. Torres, Aguero, Falcao, Diego Costa.

Several of them ended up at rival English clubs as well

Unread 09-01-2024, 11:25 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I always wondered at the time how Atletico were constantly churning out these £#%&!ing world class strikers yet we were never in for any of them. Torres, Aguero, Falcao, Diego Costa.

Torres toured OT a few times before signing for Liverpool

Unread 10-01-2024, 04:39 AM
Offerington

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Gazza, Shearer and Ronaldinho but we didn't fare too badly without them.
Yep. There's been loads. Robben has to be up there; Benzema a massive miss too. Essien as well. He would have been amazing for United. Bale, Ramos, Varane at the time.

United were in for Kompany and Aguero too.

If you're picking one, it has to be Shearer, if people are being absolutely honest. But as someone said, we didn't do too badly without all these players and Cole would never have excelled so much if we'd have got Shearer etc. All these permutations.

Makes you realise how lucky we were at the time to get players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Ruud and always be their first pick.

Unread 10-01-2024, 10:20 AM
Stickman

Robben and Essien boiled my piss. Both would have been serious game changers for europe especially.

Can remember Essien on skysports blowing kisses our way and saying he hoped we’d catch Chelsea then nek minute he joined them. Was textbook mercenaryhousery.

Unread 10-01-2024, 01:24 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Robben and Essien boiled my piss. Both would have been serious game changers for europe especially.

Can remember Essien on skysports blowing kisses our way and saying he hoped we’d catch Chelsea then nek minute he joined them. Was textbook mercenaryhousery.
Robben was more hindsight in terms of how good we could have been with him and Ronaldo on the wings, it was more because Kenyon sabotaged us iirc. If we're talking Chelsea signings that would have been gamechangers then Ballack becoming available just as Fergie was looking to destroy the midfield position is up there.

Unread 10-01-2024, 02:28 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Robben was more hindsight in terms of how good we could have been with him and Ronaldo on the wings, it was more because Kenyon sabotaged us iirc. If we're talking Chelsea signings that would have been gamechangers then Ballack becoming available just as Fergie was looking to destroy the midfield position is up there.
Robben was on a tour of Carrington with photos all over the back pages. The deal seemed nailed on. Not sure it was a hindsight thing, as he was already a very good player when he left PSV, as evidenced him by him taking the piss at times early on in his Chelsea career.

Unread 10-01-2024, 02:37 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Robben was on a tour of Carrington with photos all over the back pages. The deal seemed nailed on. Not sure it was a hindsight thing, as he was already a very good player when he left PSV, as evidenced him by him taking the piss at times early on in his Chelsea career.
It was practically a done deal I just don’t recall that much of a buzz about it, Kenyon’s role definitely soured things and I think Chelsea tried to poach the scout who discovered him from us too. He didn’t hit his peak until years after Chelsea, him and Ronnie in the same team would have been a joke.

Unread 10-01-2024, 02:37 PM
Neo

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Its because there was no value in the market, Sparky.

As Ferguson said, whilst doing his job as a Glazer mouthpiece to secure his long-term directorship at the club post retirement.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:18 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
It was practically a done deal I just don’t recall that much of a buzz about it, Kenyon’s role definitely soured things and I think Chelsea tried to poach the scout who discovered him from us too. He didn’t hit his peak until years after Chelsea, him and Ronnie in the same team would have been a joke.
His issue at Chelsea was staying fit, but he was pretty much a frightening prospect there from the off. He brought a dimension to their side that they otherwise didn't have. I remember a goal away at Newcastle where he destroyed their full back / defence.

Would have been a major success at Utd if he had made the move.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:22 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
His issue at Chelsea was staying fit, but he was pretty much a frightening prospect there from the off. He brought a dimension to their side that they otherwise didn't have. I remember a goal away at Newcastle where he destroyed their full back / defence.

Would have been a major success at Utd if he had made the move.
He would have been even better with us than at Chelsea. Criminal to think that the summer that Madrid stole Ronnie they were giving away Robben and Schneider and we didn’t even ask, think Robben may have gone for a similar fee as Valencia