United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Aloe Blacc

Default Wazzer on diving

WAYNE ROONEY has made a stand against the cheats blighting football by claiming he has never dived and would never resort to deliberately trying to deceive referees.

Striker Rooney won a controversial penalty in Manchester United’s 2-1 win over Arsenal last Saturday, but insisted yesterday he had been caught by goalkeeper Manuel Almunia.

Rooney, preparing for England’s games against Slovenia and Croatia, dismissed any criticism of him and maintained he was an honest player. “Everyone who watches me play knows I am an honest player who tries to be as honest as I can,” said Rooney.

“I’ve never intentionally dived and there have been times when I have tried to stay on my feet and get a shot off rather than going down. I wouldn’t dive because I don’t think it is fair for players to try to cheat the other team.

“Against Arsenal, the ball got played through, I got on the end of it and then I got contact which knocked me off balance. The referee saw it as a penalty.” Arsenal striker Eduardo was banned by UEFA for two matches this week after being adjudged to have deliberately dived in the Champions League win over Celtic.

Rooney added: “Diving has been in the game for years. Probably because of the coverage it gets now, it is highlighted a bit more, but it hasn’t got any worse.”

England coach Fabio Capello will make a decision on the fitness of skipper John Terry today ahead of tomorrow’s friendly against Slovenia. Terry has a back injury, but was able to do some training yesterday.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...-blasts-divers

My admiration for him has grown now, I wonder if he said those things with a straight face.

Unread 04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
MUFC One Love

Every player would go down with contact in the area if it would gain them more of an advantage than staying on their feet and trying to score/set up a goal. How many penalties are because the player was actually brought down? Not many, most could easily stay on their feet it they wanted to.

Unread 04-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Aloe Blacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Every player would go down with contact in the area if it would gain them more of an advantage than staying on their feet and trying to score/set up a goal. How many penalties are because the player was actually brought down? Not many, most could easily stay on their feet it they wanted to.
Of course, boss.

But, it's the hypocrisy of people like Rooney and Gerrard that is puzzling. Serial offenders who try to preach about ethics.

Unread 04-09-2009, 11:05 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloe Blacc
Of course, boss.

But, it's the hypocrisy of people like Rooney and Gerrard that is puzzling. Serial offenders who try to preach about ethics.
I completely agree mate, against Arsenal in 04 was it? When we ended their unbeaten run, Rooney dived. He's also dived a few other times but doesn't really appeal for it but in 04 against Arsenal he appealed for it.

I was just making the point where do we draw the line with 'cheating' etc? Surely going down when the challenge hasn't made you go down is 'cheating'?

Unread 04-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Aloe Blacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I completely agree mate, against Arsenal in 04 was it? When we ended their unbeaten run, Rooney dived. He's also dived a few other times but doesn't really appeal for it but in 04 against Arsenal he appealed for it.

I was just making the point where do we draw the line with 'cheating' etc? Surely going down when the challenge hasn't made you go down is 'cheating'?
I agreed with that, hence the 'of course', wasn't being a Fuzzy Dunlop.

Unread 04-09-2009, 11:12 AM
toseeunited

Thumbs up

Quote:
My admiration for him has grown now, I wonder if he said those things with a straight face.
he did i saw it! he smiles right at the end, but got away with it as a "there you go you @#%&! i've answered your 'tricky' question!"

Unread 04-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Fountz

Angry How on earth can you lump Rooney in with that @#%&! Gerrard ??

Quote:
Of course, boss.

I've always thought of Rooney as pretty honest player.. not quite up there with Giggs but not far off.

Our big diver's now at Madrid and I don't expect United to even get a mention the next time there's a pompous outburst.

Unread 04-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Adz

Rooney can be as bad as anyone, and that video proves it.

Difference is with Rooney you can usually tell by his reaction once he's done it, serial offenders have got the poker face boxed off.

Unread 04-09-2009, 12:07 PM
The Return of JC

The English aren't very good at it. It's quite hard to dive and make it look convincing. Frankly, I think we're all jealous.

Unread 04-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Coracao

Rooney has been as bad as Ronaldo when it comes to diving inside the box...he tends to keep it for the box though, whereas Ronaldo continues it all over the pitch

Unread 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Ashley's Grime

Maybe they should be asking Gerrard and Torres about diving seeing as they do it every game.

Unread 04-09-2009, 12:16 PM
toseeunited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
Maybe they should be asking Gerrard and Torres about diving seeing as they do it every game.
that's unfair you can't say that, Torres is singled out by away fans and something has to be done about fans being allowed to take Snipers into the Executive boxes. £#%&!ing out of order imo opinion!

Unread 04-09-2009, 12:20 PM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

So Rooney is now a liar AND a cheat according to some on here. Great news.

Unread 04-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Aloe Blacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
And a hypocrite.

Unread 04-09-2009, 01:01 PM
wiganste

Leg SAF would do anything to have a sly dig at Rooney.

Unread 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

scouse, bald and freckly as well

on the plus side he plays for United and is a multi millionaire

Unread 04-09-2009, 01:26 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
But he's OUR liar and cheat.

Rooooooooooney!!

Unread 04-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
I agreed with that, hence the 'of course', wasn't being a Fuzzy Dunlop.
What does this even mean?

Unread 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Dont be precious Antonin

If we take the blinkers off we'd have to admit that Rooney occasionally loves a dive as much as the next person...

Still doesnt take away from my love for the guy any...

Unread 04-09-2009, 02:46 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Dont be precious Antonin

Closed Thread