United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Thank £#%&! for that. I thought it was just me that thought it was horribly written. It's all over the place ffs. Terrible.
Managing my life was infinitely superior to this.

Let's face it, it would have been far better for the club had this latest offering been published in a few years, when the turmoil had subsided, and far better for the reader had it been penned by a quality ghost writer. However, in neither case would Fergie have made as much money. So £#%&! everyone, here it is.

Unread 01-11-2013, 05:36 PM
red in cumbria

Doesn't it just confirm, then, that Hugh McIlvanney is a vastly superior writer to Paul Hayward? Something that was long known anyway.

Unread 01-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Managing my life was infinitely superior to this.

Let's face it, it would have been far better for the club had this latest offering been published in a few years, when the turmoil had subsided, and far better for the reader had it been penned by a quality ghost writer. However, in neither case would Fergie have made as much money. So £#%&! everyone, here it is.
I'm not going to read much more of this shite beyond what I've already read, but in that short space he's already said it is a big disappointment that his coaching staff lost their jobs.

Unread 01-11-2013, 05:51 PM
when the seagulls

Read the first couple of chapters and yes it is terribly written. Feel that I should read it for some reason. Got a 10.5 hour flight next week will save the rest for that.

Unread 01-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by when the seagulls
Read the first couple of chapters and yes it is terribly written. Feel that I should read it for some reason. Got a 10.5 hour flight next week will save the rest for that.
That's where I'm at, done about an hour, it's drivel...all over the shop. It's like he narrated on a VHS dictaphone on whiskey and Ket dabs.

Will give it another blast on nights.

Unread 01-11-2013, 06:14 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
That's where I'm at, done about an hour, it's drivel...all over the shop. It's like he narrated on a VHS dictaphone on whiskey and Ket dabs.
Spot on. I've read about three chapters and it's tough going it's so badly written.

He should have got Grimmers to ghost it imo

Unread 01-11-2013, 06:17 PM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
His 02/03 season is a beautiful anomaly. O'Shea the flair player in a side containing Giggs, Van Nistelrooy, Scholes, Beckham, Veron It seems ludicrous now looking back over his career but the hype around him in the summer after that season was insane, so much excitement over his potential partnership with Ronaldo.
O shea was ridiculous during that season. Just look at the newcastle 2 - 6 united match where o shea was superb. ludicrous to think how he didn't become a superb full back or maybe fergie just messed him around too much.

Unread 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

Will give it another blast on nights.

ADHD reds.

He jumps from topic to topic randomly like some £#%&!ed up stream of consciousness.

"so Yorkie was a good lad and did i ever mention the time i went to Haydock with Cyril Smith"

Unread 01-11-2013, 06:38 PM
puressence

osheas debut season was unreal remembering meggin figo at old trafford couldnt believe how good he was then .....

Unread 01-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
sorry if already mentioned etc

re Barca
“What I could never quite understand is how their players were able to play that number of games. They fielded almost the same side every time.”

Innocent comment?
Yeah strange that.

Unread 01-11-2013, 06:41 PM
puressence

ferie the return back is out oct 2018

Unread 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM
djsst

Repeats himself a lot too, and that endorsement of Nick Powell at the end of the book was .

Unread 01-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Michael Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst
Repeats himself a lot too, and that endorsement of Nick Powell at the end of the book was .
What does he say? Better than Thiago?

Unread 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Myers
What does he say? Better than Thiago?
A young Nicky butt

Unread 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
A young Nicky butt
Damned by faint praise

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
djsst

Quote:
So I sent out Martin to watch him twice. Martin’s view was that he definitely had something but was not the full package yet. Then Mick Phelan went to examine him in a couple of fixtures. Finally it was my turn. Crewe v. Aldershot. After five minutes in the stands, I told Mick, ‘He’s a player. Mick, he’s a player.’ It was his touch on the ball and his vision.
At one point in the game I saw he got a half-run on the opposition’s defence, had a wee look over his shoulder and just lofted the ball to the centre-forward to have a shot on goal. Then he showed us a header, then a turn of pace. Coming away I said to Mick: ‘I’m going to phone Dario Gradi,’ now director of football at Crewe.
‘I see you were at the game yesterday,’ said Dario.
‘The boy Powell,’ I said. ‘Now don’t get carried away. What’s your ballpark figure?’
Dario said: ‘Six million.’
Laughing, I told him where to go. But we constructed a potential deal in that direction with add-ons for first-team and England appearances. Powell was not told until after that season’s play-offs. He is an absolute certainty to be in the England team one day. He could play anywhere: off the front, even through. He’s quick as hell, has two good feet and shoots from outside the box. In the winter of 2012 he picked up a virus and his girlfriend had a nasty car accident. He’s quite a detached figure – good at switching off – but he’s a player, believe me.

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM
believe

bit strange of him to say all that then compare him to Nicky Butt. It must be more all over the place than you're all letting on.

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
bit strange of him to say all that then compare him to Nicky Butt. It must be more all over the place than you're all letting on.
He waited 3 chapters before he dropped the butt bomb,
Think he'd forgot about him after that messy 'one night in Crewe' paragraph..

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Gave up at this point.

- When we played Sheffield Wednesday in the champions league, someone said to me that I had my fly down. I'll never forget that. After all the times we beat real Madrid and he picks up on one small mistake.

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
believe

Closed Thread