in 55 55.00%
out 45 45.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:21 AM
AK14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes View Post
Still fully in. I'm still getting Fergie 89/90 vibes. His plan not fully working, results not the best, some awful performances and he's coming across awkward but there are also some signs that give me hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
It’s been said multiple times but look at Arsenal right now. They’re arguably playing the best football in the league, scoring for fun and are strong title contenders. The only question mark hanging over them is their mentality; last year they completely crumbled, but the fact they’re coming back so strong this season is a positive sign imo.

Their first two seasons under Arteta they finished 8th, winning the FA cup in their first season. Third season they finished fifth. It was only last year people started taking them seriously again. Up until then people were still viewing them as a laughing stock iirc - myself included.

Back the manager - it could be the best thing we’ve done in over a decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post
Same for me. Plus, I’m not prepared to join the angry mob against him after the run of injuries this season, which has been ridiculous.

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:23 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

How is the emergence of Mainoo and Garnacho down to him? Surely they’re just great talents coming through whilst he’s in situ?

He’s been fortunate they’re there because if they hadn’t come through this season we really would be in the shit.

I really want him to do well but I don’t see many, if any of these positive signs. The fact that Manchester United knock the ball about every now and again should not be something to cling onto and stand as reasons to keep the coach in place two years into his tenure.

Admit there’s not many options out there so happy to see him try and turn it around but don’t think he could argue with being potted and think he will be and probably best with a new regime from next season.

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:27 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
How is the emergence of Mainoo and Garnacho down to him? Surely they’re just great talents coming through whilst he’s in situ?
It’s such a reach, but then, there is so little else.

We get embarrassed regularly so we have to think of something if we’re pinned to the position he’ll come good.

Then there is Arteta who started slow, so there’s every reason to think ETH is on the same trajectory whilst he sabotages us most weeks with his chaos ball.

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:30 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Lads

I'd go one further tbh, a real statement of intent ..

Offer him another contract, let's start cooking in the summer ...

Every single other manager available or posted makes me physically sick to the core to imagine them in a united suit.....
He's clearly bright and thoughtful as a coach and I'd like to see how he gets on when he's had the chance to reconfigure the squad.

Antony is looking like a huge mistake at present but we have made so many in recent years...Pogab and Sancho...

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:32 AM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony View Post
He's clearly bright and thoughtful as a coach and I'd like to see how he gets on when he's had the chance to reconfigure the squad.

Antony is looking like a huge mistake at present but we have made so many in recent years...Pogab and Sancho...
bright and thoughtfuL?

He talks so little about any vision... has the charm of a cactus... he's not the man unfortunately.

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:34 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
It’s such a reach, but then, there is so little else.

We get embarrassed regularly so we have to think of something if we’re pinned to the position he’ll come good.

Then there is Arteta who started slow, so there’s every reason to think ETH is on the same trajectory whilst he sabotages us most weeks with his chaos ball.
Such a reach.....

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:37 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
bright and thoughtfuL?

He talks so little about any vision... has the charm of a cactus... he's not the man unfortunately.
You can barely ever make sense of his pre or post match messaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
Such a reach.....

Yes, a huge reach.

That doesn’t mean every manager is owed time when they’re showing little reason to be afforded more.

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:37 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic View Post

He’s been fortunate they’re there because if they hadn’t come through this season we really would be in the shit.
He's responsible for picking the team. Hojlund was his signing. We can't blame him for picking The Scottish Player but then claim he has nothing to do with Garnacho and Mainoo and is just 'fortunate they are there'

I agree this is all something of a stretch and he's on thin ice. Time will tell I suppose.

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:39 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
You can barely ever make sense of his pre or post match messaging.

Yes, a huge reach.

That doesn’t mean every manager is owed time when they’re showing little reason to be afforded more.
i'm more than happy to give him another season or two under a competent footballing structure.

I'm not too sure he'll get it though

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:49 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
bright and thoughtfuL?

Seems far more like Fergie than any of the others we've had in the way he deals with the press and the players. We need someone tough and spikey, I'd prefer action at the present to vision.

Unread 05-03-2024, 11:06 AM
shenwen

Jesus, these Fergie comparison are getting embarrassing.

Comparing him to Fergie, Arteta or whoever makes no sense, It's apples and oranges. While I agree it makes sense to give a manager time, using Arteta as a benchmark is pointless. The success (or not) of one has zero bearing on the success of another. Just as it would make no sense to compare ETH's tenure with managers who were given time and still produced nothing. He needs to be judged on his record and his potential. Nothing else.

Unread 05-03-2024, 11:18 AM
marlo

the excuses in his defence are never based on anything he is actually doing not trying to do.

It’s all because “other managers succeeded after being given time”…..

The new one is Arteta….

2 seasons in, bad signings, shit football (during mourinho tenure it was said we have to play the united way) and poor in game management but yeah give him more time but and take away his ability to buy his own player*

*if he had someone else buying him players before it would said that he should be able to sign players he wants not given players to work with.

The Ten Hoes are not objective. They are just in love with a Dutch clown.

Oh and btw

a new “footballing structure” doesn’t mean he will have a new 25 man squad tomorrow.
He wil still have 80 percent of the squad next season so if he can’t get the best or even a decent tune out of them are you guys saying we won’t see progress until it’s a whole new squad…

Also a question
How is Emery able to get an inferior squad into the top 4 ?

Unread 05-03-2024, 11:27 AM
jem

Quote:
I'm still getting Fergie 89/90 vibes.
there is no excuse for this.

Unread 05-03-2024, 11:42 AM
Whip Hubley

again, i'll qualify this by saying there's certainly a lot to criticise ETH about.

but are people really resorting to saying mainoo and garnacho aren't down to him

£#%&!ing hell, good job Fergie got so lucky with the class of 92 eh?

Unread 05-03-2024, 11:44 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
there is no excuse for this.
What do you mean?

Unread 05-03-2024, 12:11 PM
jem

Quote:
What do you mean?
refer to my earlier posts about banning anyone who mentions fergie, being given more time, mark robins, etc. judge 10h on what you see now. what happened to a different manager with a different squad in a different era is totally irrelevant. if you are getting vibes, you need to give yourself a slap. hard. maybe two.

Unread 05-03-2024, 12:12 PM
suedeshoes

So just your usual %@#$&!s then.

Unread 05-03-2024, 12:15 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post
again, i'll qualify this by saying there's certainly a lot to criticise ETH about.

but are people really resorting to saying mainoo and garnacho aren't down to him

£#%&!ing hell, good job Fergie got so lucky with the class of 92 eh?
Again like Jem says there’s no real comparison. Ferguson knew he could integrate them knowing they were being backed by a team of leaders and born winners. Garnacho and Mainoo are expected to be the leaders in a team full of born losers it’s seems, that’s not their fault obviously but it’s ten hags team they’re playing in.

Unread 05-03-2024, 12:20 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony View Post
Seems far more like Fergie than any of the others we've had in the way he deals with the press and the players. We need someone tough and spikey, I'd prefer action at the present to vision.
What is tough and spikey about letting refs shaft us every game and not saying a peep about it?

Unread 05-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Stickman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
refer to my earlier posts about banning anyone who mentions fergie, being given more time, mark robins, etc. judge 10h on what you see now. what happened to a different manager with a different squad in a different era is totally irrelevant. if you are getting vibes, you need to give yourself a slap. hard. maybe two.