United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: erik ten hag
in 55 55.00%
out 45 45.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-03-2024, 08:56 PM
croady26

When we beat Barca and won League Cup I thought ok let's see if he can build on it in the summer. We then got annihilated at Anfield a week later. That game completely broke my trust in him

Unread 04-03-2024, 09:15 PM
Jethro

Leaks ramping up again. Get the feeling he knows he's done.

Unread 04-03-2024, 09:17 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Leaks ramping up again. Get the feeling he knows he's done.
another one about the amount of running in training

Unread 04-03-2024, 09:23 PM
Stickman

Could be something in that one though given general player availability.

Unread 04-03-2024, 09:36 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
The problem isn't that we didn't get a result at City, it's how we played and the fact that it felt this was the only way we could play

We played like at best a relegation placed team would going to City
That's not acceptable IMO

Most on here think Chelsea are shit but they went there and took the game to City
Even the likes of Brentford and Everton put up better showings at the Eithad than we did yesterday and you can't be telling me that the side we had out yesterday don't have better players than those two teams

Let's be honest we've been shit even when our best team has been available this season

There's just no way of playing or structure to how we try to play
Every match feels like the first time these players have ever played together before

It's kinda of pointless talking about ETH's future as he's clearly gone in the summer
Has only one year left on his contract and INEOS are smart enough to know it's a waste of time having a lame duck manager for next season so either you give him a new contract or sack him and after such a diabolical season the likelyhood of ETH getting a new contract is next to zero
Agree tbh.

Unread 04-03-2024, 09:45 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
The problem isn't that we didn't get a result at City, it's how we played and the fact that it felt this was the only way we could play

We played like at best a relegation placed team would going to City
That's not acceptable IMO

Most on here think Chelsea are shit but they went there and took the game to City
Even the likes of Brentford and Everton put up better showings at the Eithad than we did yesterday and you can't be telling me that the side we had out yesterday don't have better players than those two teams

Let's be honest we've been shit even when our best team has been available this season

There's just no way of playing or structure to how we try to play
Every match feels like the first time these players have ever played together before

It's kinda of pointless talking about ETH's future as he's clearly gone in the summer
Has only one year left on his contract and INEOS are smart enough to know it's a waste of time having a lame duck manager for next season so either you give him a new contract or sack him and after such a diabolical season the likelyhood of ETH getting a new contract is next to zero
You could excuse results if the performances and style of play were there. It would be credible to give him another season if results had us top 4 even with these regular dogshit performances. I highly doubt SJR is watching us get torn apart by the likes of Fulham while we scramble about in 6th and thinks that the only thing stopping ETH is a decent summer and fewer injuries. Erik will rue that he didn't instill a recognisable style of play and I'm at a loss as to why we hired a fancy Dutch coach only for him to set us up like Ole

Unread 04-03-2024, 10:13 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
You could excuse results if the performances and style of play were there. It would be credible to give him another season if results had us top 4 even with these regular dogshit performances. I highly doubt SJR is watching us get torn apart by the likes of Fulham while we scramble about in 6th and thinks that the only thing stopping ETH is a decent summer and fewer injuries. Erik will rue that he didn't instill a recognisable style of play and I'm at a loss as to why we hired a fancy Dutch coach only for him to set us up like Ole
This is where I’m at. I can forgive an awful lot if there’s some inkling of a plan being hatched and there’s just a few pieces missing. Genuinely cannot see what he’s trying. We are so bad to watch and so inept nearly all of the time. It doesn’t matter if we’re playing Newport or the current treble winners - we’re absolutely shocking. We’ve struggled in nearly every game I’ve seen this season apart from maybe West Ham at home. We’ve had a horrific run with injuries and absences but it feels like we’re playing miles below the sum of our parts and there is zero prospect of us ever playing to a standard greater than the sum of our parts (like most mid ranking teams in the prem do).

I don’t want him sacked but I can’t offer any reason why he shouldn’t be - other than I’m so de-sensitised to how shit we are nowadays that I’ve practically given up.

Unread 04-03-2024, 10:54 PM
suedeshoes

Still fully in. I'm still getting Fergie 89/90 vibes. His plan not fully working, results not the best, some awful performances and he's coming across awkward but there are also some signs that give me hope.

Unread 04-03-2024, 11:18 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes View Post
Still fully in. I'm still getting Fergie 89/90 vibes. His plan not fully working, results not the best, some awful performances and he's coming across awkward but there are also some signs that give me hope.
It’s been said multiple times but look at Arsenal right now. They’re arguably playing the best football in the league, scoring for fun and are strong title contenders. The only question mark hanging over them is their mentality; last year they completely crumbled, but the fact they’re coming back so strong this season is a positive sign imo.

Their first two seasons under Arteta they finished 8th, winning the FA cup in their first season. Third season they finished fifth. It was only last year people started taking them seriously again. Up until then people were still viewing them as a laughing stock iirc - myself included.

Back the manager - it could be the best thing we’ve done in over a decade.

Unread 04-03-2024, 11:28 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Same for me. Plus, I’m not prepared to join the angry mob against him after the run of injuries this season, which has been ridiculous.

Unread 04-03-2024, 11:35 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Some awful performances? Would argue the word ‘some’ is perhaps superfluous?

Genuine question but what are the signs that give you hope? I’m 100% up for feeling more positive about the fella.

Unread 05-03-2024, 12:21 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
Some awful performances? Would argue the word ‘some’ is perhaps superfluous?

Genuine question but what are the signs that give you hope? I’m 100% up for feeling more positive about the fella.
I'd argue the word 'some' isn't superfluous.

I'm seeing improvements. They're not happening at a great pace but they're happening. I'm seeing his style starting to work more and I see aspects and patterns of play that excite me and show promise. Some of the passing and movement since the turn of the year has shown the style Ten Haag wants and when it works it works well and looks to me like it's improving.

I'm not blind to the fact that we've looked a mess at times and have made mistakes and some of the defensive stuff has been a mare.

I see promise and excitement in lots of players. Ten Haag has bought some duds...obviously Anthony and Malacia for 2, but he's bought in and brought through Martinez, Rasmus, Garnacho and Mainoo.

I think there's enough to work with rather than rip it up and start again.

Injuries aside, the sqaud is a work in progress and I think there's still a way to go but I'm happy with him taking the lead.

Unread 05-03-2024, 12:54 AM
Fat Al

I can't be alone in thinking that the constant speculation in the media (and around the club) for months now, over the future ownership has to have had an adverse effect on the manager, his coaching staff & the players?

Unread 05-03-2024, 01:59 AM
Offerington

Quote:
still clinging on to that too. That, and i genuinely don't know who else i would want as the new manager if they were to sack him. Potter ffs

Unread 05-03-2024, 03:59 AM
croady26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
It’s been said multiple times but look at Arsenal right now. They’re arguably playing the best football in the league, scoring for fun and are strong title contenders. The only question mark hanging over them is their mentality; last year they completely crumbled, but the fact they’re coming back so strong this season is a positive sign imo.

Their first two seasons under Arteta they finished 8th, winning the FA cup in their first season. Third season they finished fifth. It was only last year people started taking them seriously again. Up until then people were still viewing them as a laughing stock iirc - myself included.

More like the worst thing,sorry Erik there's no coming back from that humiliation in my eyes. We need to get someone appointed before scousers, Bayern or Barcelona get there first. Let's not forget the unacceptable home defeats to Palace, Bournemouth and Fulham. Even Brighton when you look at their results against other teams

Unread 05-03-2024, 09:17 AM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post

His handling of Sancho alone is proof he's on the right track and the kind of man we need.

Easily gets another year for me. Potter FFS.

Unread 05-03-2024, 09:20 AM
Jethro

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly

Unread 05-03-2024, 09:56 AM
redhegemony

Feels like we've been treading water or slowly drowning whilst the ownership issue was sorted.

The club was and is still an absolute shapeless mess. Fromnthe top down to the dressing room.

The signs of hope for me are the weeding out of the toxic charlatans , I like his discipline. But we have been left with a threadbare squad.

He's replaces the gk and had the same problems Fergie had post Schmeichel but arguably he's done better in that Onana is starting to look like the answer.

Sundays back four summed it up. A total mess and not of his creation. I doubt he was high fiving signing Jonny Evans.

There are green shots better to not cut them off at the moment.

He's promoted youth which has been great to see. But it's this coming transfer window that's the test.

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:06 AM
Zorg

Quote:
I think there's enough to work with rather than rip it up and start again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony View Post

Sundays back four summed it up. A total mess and not of his creation. I doubt he was high fiving signing Jonny Evans.
Agree with this. United are starting Johnny Evans at city in the derby. Johnny Evans. A player who wasn't good enough in the first place, and is now at the end of his career. By rights he should be playing for Stoke City and doing his coaching badges. It's such an appalling joke it's hard to believe it's happening.

And as many of us said a million times, there's nobody out there worth ripping it all up and starting again for. Just a bunch of Chelsea rejects who've never won a thing in their careers.

The emergence of Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund is down to ten Hag. Fantastic to see a trio of superb young talent like that.

There are huge question marks, and he can be infuriating at times, but I say stick with him for another season. And let's hope this summer sees a proper clear-out of the dross and some decent recruitment.

Unread 05-03-2024, 10:09 AM
Bunker Buster

Lads

I'd go one further tbh, a real statement of intent ..

Offer him another contract, let's start cooking in the summer ...

Every single other manager available or posted makes me physically sick to the core to imagine them in a united suit.....