30 years

Feels like yesterday - remember it so well

Where does the time go?
Scary innit, pal.

I was 9.

Unread 10-04-2023, 09:25 AM
no fun

Epic

Was still buzzing walking down Warwick rd after the final whistle, jumped over the wall at Trafford town hall and twisted me bastard ankle

Unread 10-04-2023, 09:58 AM
believe

Still upset about this game. Between 88-2005 I missed 2 home games and this was one of them. We flew back from magaluf that day and my old man didn’t think we’d be back in time so gave out ST’s to a friend. Was home about an hour before the game and listened to the entire match on the radio. #@&%!.

Unread 10-04-2023, 10:12 AM
Hyman_Roth

Was stopped by a right citizens arrest try hard bloke from getting on the pitch.

He kind of rubgy tackled me as I stood up to get over the hoardings.

The only thing wrong with those goals were the lack of fans on the pitch.

Unread 10-04-2023, 10:14 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Was stopped by a right citizens arrest try hard bloke from getting on the pitch.

He kind of rubgy tackled me as I stood up to get over the hoardings.

The only thing wrong with those goals were the lack of fans on the pitch.
Fergie and Kidd made up for it tbf.

Unread 10-04-2023, 11:41 AM
Bonkon

Was in the scoreboard end, absolutely unreal.
What sticks in my mind most is everyone stayed behind for what seemed like hours (probably 10 mins) singing Always look on the bright side of life.

Unread 10-04-2023, 03:31 PM
AK14

30 years

Unread 10-04-2023, 03:35 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Time to watch that 1992/93 Season video before bed-time tonight, I reckon

Unread 10-04-2023, 09:36 PM
Dr Stranger

Love Brucie tbh

Unread 10-04-2023, 11:10 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Big Nige Worthington ducking under the second one on the line. Top red.

Unread 10-04-2023, 11:27 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Big Nige Worthington ducking under the second one on the line. Top red.
Danny Baker's fabulous world of freak football has a wonderful commentary on this goal.

Have a look 35 mins in

https://youtu.be/7whx0C-7jCc?t=2100

Unread 11-04-2023, 01:48 AM
goldfinger II

Amazing day. The moment everything changed. After years of failing, you could just tell this team were going to go on and win it. I think, collectively, everyone started to believe it at this moment. The team won every game after it to seal the title.

Steve Bruce was amazing at getting headed goals from set-pieces. I watched the season reviews of 90-91 and 91-92 recently. Can't remember which of those seasons he scored 19 goals but he seemed to score loads of brilliant, bullet-like headers in both seasons, often from quite far out like these 2 against Wednesday. Don't think I've ever seen anyone do it better. He took a mean penalty too - put most of them in the top corners.

A couple of other things that struck me when watching those reviews - Brian McClair was a better player than I remembered, and more surprisingly, so was Neil Webb. I used to think he was rubbish, but he did provide some nice assists and goals.

Apologies for wandering off topic a bit.

Unread 11-04-2023, 02:10 AM
dunk

Pretty sure I’ve still got both of those on VHS

Unread 11-04-2023, 06:35 AM
Lodestar

Was at the game behind the goal. Can still remember the ball floating across the box almost like slow motion and seeing Bruce connect for the winner The vibe and goon were off the scale and no one wanted to leave.

Next game was Coventry away and had a day out listening to it on a hand held radio Irwin crashed one in just outside the box l recall. 0-1.

Unread 11-04-2023, 07:29 AM
Dr Stranger

They’re two great headers as well. The second is so composed given the circumstances. Can only imagine Big Cas in the current squad scoring them today.

Unread 11-04-2023, 07:42 AM
puressence

sheridan the top red bagging ffs ..k stand reds that season was £#%&!ing incredible

Unread 11-04-2023, 08:30 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
Was at the game behind the goal. Can still remember the ball floating across the box almost like slow motion and seeing Bruce connect for the winner The vibe and goon were off the scale and no one wanted to leave.

Next game was Coventry away and had a day out listening to it on a hand held radio Irwin crashed one in just outside the box l recall. 0-1.
Went to that one. I think reds outnumbered Coventry fans by about 4-1. The end you see going up on YouTube to celebrate Irwin’s free kick is supposedly the Coventry end.

We were in the Coventry end and the stewards ended up kicking out Coventry fans given they were so outnumbered. Mad day.
Closed Thread