United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
It's a good idea but one that is probably easier to implement if half your squad isn't being paid more than the cap.
It only works if it's across all teams. Even if it was, teams would find a way to circumvent it with sponsorship deals for players.

Unread 08-01-2023, 11:47 AM
dunk

I imagine the plan is to make it up with performance related bonuses beyond the £200k or whatever. Pogba burned them badly.

Unread 08-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Vedder

Glazers staying then why would they put this in place if club was being sold?

Unread 08-01-2023, 11:51 AM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Clear as day they're making a play to stick around. Probably can't get the price they expected.

Unread 08-01-2023, 12:00 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Tbf, it might not be the owners, it might be Arnold/Murtagh and ETH. Stop giving players stupid £#%&!ing money as basic as it’s dulling appetites and leaving us exposed to wasters.

I think it’s something that’s needed doing for a while, the players should want to play for us, the money will follow, not expect top level wages just for playing for us.

Unread 08-01-2023, 12:14 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Tbf, it might not be the owners, it might be Arnold/Murtagh and ETH. Stop giving players stupid f***ing money as basic as it’s dulling appetites and leaving us exposed to wasters.

I think it’s something that’s needed doing for a while, the players should want to play for us, the money will follow, not expect top level wages just for playing for us.
Do they expect rashford who's in the form of his life and has 12 month left on his contract to sign for less than 200k a week when psg will double it?

Unread 08-01-2023, 12:16 PM
AK14

Could be coming from the new owners

Before the mutant didn’t city pay ‘low’ wages but apparently make them up in ridiculous under the table bonuses. Perhaps our new Arab overlords will be doing the same.

Unread 08-01-2023, 12:27 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

Before the mutant didn’t city pay ‘low’ wages but apparently make them up in ridiculous under the table bonuses. Perhaps our new Arab overlords will be doing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
Do they expect rashford who's in the form of his life and has 12 month left on his contract to sign for less than 200k a week when psg will double it?
Again, likely to be basic capped at £200k and then much more flexible bonuses tacked on to elevate accordingly. All bespoke to each player, so Rashers gets a bonus related to starting a game worth £50k a game, or something, that is paid while injured. Or something workable but equally daft.

Or, as AK says.

Unread 08-01-2023, 01:27 PM
redhegemony

Can't see Phil Jones standing for that if indeed he is up to standing at the moment

Unread 08-01-2023, 02:35 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Can't see Phil Jones standing for that if indeed he is up to standing at the moment
His contract expires this summer.

Unread 08-01-2023, 02:40 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
His contract expires this summer.
Woodward would’ve opened talks on a new 4 year deal by now.

Unread 08-01-2023, 07:44 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Woodward would’ve opened talks on a new 4 year deal by now.
Feels good, doesn't it, knowing he'll be released back into the wild.

Unread 09-01-2023, 07:50 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony

There’s no better illustration of how utterly negligent and incompetent the owners have been than allowing this galoot to sit around for the best part of a decade, enjoying the millions that could have paid for a free beer to every match goer while he sat at home on his PlayStation for the same period

Unread 09-01-2023, 08:49 AM
shenwen

Quote:

Or a way of making the club more attractive to potential new owners.

Who knows.

Unread 09-01-2023, 09:07 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Or a way of making the club more attractive to potential new owners.

Who knows.
This.

Wages are a huge part of the club's outgoings and can't be easily cut like other expenditure. It's not at all unusual for a business that is up for sale to try and make the wage bill look more appealing.

Unread 09-01-2023, 09:24 AM
RedNick80

Quote:

Could be. I've heard its a done deal and being announced in April. Not Arab either. Not a great source mind, but not one I'd completely ignore either.

Unread 09-01-2023, 10:23 AM
Joe Biden

If its not Arab we're £#%&!ed

Unread 09-01-2023, 10:26 AM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
Not a great source mind, but not one I'd completely ignore either.
Thanks for that well-placed caveat. I was just about to celebrate the Glazers' demise by gooning 'round my front room with my underpants on my head.

Unread 09-01-2023, 05:02 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
If its not Arab we're £#%&!ed
There is one option that doesn't mean we'd be £#%&!ed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
Thanks for that well-placed caveat. I was just about to celebrate the Glazers' demise by gooning 'round my front room with my underpants on my head.
Yep, I get that sorry. You know 99% of posts here dont come true but you can bet your breifcase I'm keeping this in case its right. I'll be like some kind of forum god/sage. If I'm wrong then I'll just lurk a bit longer. Think Saffers but without the courage of his convictions and chutzpah.
Closed Thread