United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-09-2017, 01:30 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyOnMyBack
You seem surprisingly naive on how history is written.
If only I had your unique insight to the real truth, sensai.

Unread 20-09-2017, 01:33 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
If only I had your unique insight to the real truth, sensai.
Healthy skepticism is all.

Unread 20-09-2017, 01:36 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyOnMyBack
Healthy skepticism is all.
Except when it comes to examine your own arguments.

Why do you think slavery was abolished then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Microagression after microagression from the lad irk. They can't help theirself.
I'm triggered. Can I get some counselling over here please? No white males, this is supposed to be a safe space.

Unread 20-09-2017, 01:40 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk

I'm triggered. Can I get some counselling over here please? No white males, this is supposed to be a safe space.
I generally think of an attempt to discredit the messenger as a sign of difficulty in discrediting the message itself.

Unread 20-09-2017, 01:42 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
I don't disagree with any of that, I see the reaction as basically the exact same thing as everything else that happens when it's United - News. We're everyone else's meal-ticket aren't we.

Also shit at making up songs, but so it goes.
Peak media frenzy. Racism + united = front page, back page, opinion pieces from Oxbridge educated £#%&!ers.

Unread 20-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Isn't this the definition of every joke ever told about anyone? Whether the joke is funny or not is another subject entirely -- this one isn't --, however if I heard Dave Chappelle tell a joke based on his perception of white people, and it was funny, I'd laugh my arse off. I wouldn't be sitting there wondering if it were discernably true or not.

We need to draw a line between asking people to conduct themselves with decency (which is reasonable) and acting like automotons (which is not).
Time & place, context is everything. Whilst there's always a grey area as to what is funny or not, what is offensive or isn't is open for discussion, like this thread - made up of some decent arguments - it's not a leap to see why the song would be considered offensive.

Unread 20-09-2017, 01:44 PM
irk

Quote:
I generally think of an attempt to discredit the messenger as a sign of difficulty in discrediting the message itself.
Well, he's certainly not engaged with any of the arguments. Relying instead on reformulating the original "Whitey is bad mmkay".

Unread 20-09-2017, 02:01 PM
dragflick

Big Rommers loves it apparently

Still a shite song tho'.

Unread 20-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick

Still a shite song tho'.

Hope he doesn't have to release a statement, leave the baying mobs mouth open....

"But, but, but.....the slave trade !!"

Unread 20-09-2017, 02:05 PM
irk

Quote:

Still a shite song tho'.
"It's twue, it's twue"

Ban this sick filth now!

Unread 20-09-2017, 02:07 PM
guerreiro

Scan read through this, has it been determined if he has a whopper or not?

Unread 20-09-2017, 02:10 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Well, he's certainly not engaged with any of the arguments. Relying instead on reformulating the original "Whitey is bad mmkay".
People rarely question their beliefs mate. It's why debate --actual, real debate -- is dead and division reigns supreme. Racists exist, of course they do, as do sexists and homophobes, however regular people who try to conduct themselves with basic human decency are getting thoroughly tired of having to answer for the conduct of their ancestors as justification for being attacked in the here and now.

Unread 20-09-2017, 02:19 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Still a shite song tho'.

"Well done..."

Unread 20-09-2017, 02:27 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

"Well done..."
I think silv has done that already. Admittedly and not suprisingly, not as well, but still...

Unread 20-09-2017, 02:36 PM
silv

Quote:
I think silv has done that already. Admittedly and not suprisingly, not as well, but still...

Unread 20-09-2017, 02:37 PM
utd99

Fred loves a Brent reference. Foookin' loovs it.

Unread 20-09-2017, 02:37 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv

Unread 20-09-2017, 02:55 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Unread 20-09-2017, 03:25 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk

I dont believe it would have been allowed to happen unless it was economically advantageous - declining trade in w. Indies with American independence. Or without a military strategic angle - using the anti slaving fleet to expand and consolidate the other colonies.

Unread 20-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
People rarely question their beliefs mate. It's why debate --actual, real debate -- is dead and division reigns supreme. Racists exist, of course they do, as do sexists and homophobes, however regular people who try to conduct themselves with basic human decency are getting thoroughly tired of having to answer for the conduct of their ancestors as justification for being attacked in the here and now.
People very rarely change their minds on Facebook or internet message boards. Much less than when they talk in real life
Closed Thread