United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:38 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
There's some real bullshit in this thread. 'Hate' Portsmouth. Really? Really??? Try and remember we're Manchester United fans eh? 'Hate' ffs.

No one should loose their club. No one. It's £#%&!ing disgusting what's happening to Portsmouth. A succession of criminal 'owners', using it to launder/syphon money for their own questionable ends, resulting in the club possibly being liquidated. Scandalous.

But this latest shameful episode is just a reflection on the state of our national game. We've had liverpool dragged through a couple of courts and almost put in administration because of their foreign owners. The ongoing saga at United and how our totally unnecessary leveraged take over (which nobody wanted) has all but neutered the clubs hard won financial clout, built up over decades of success. Where's the Premier League? Where's The FA? You don't hear a word from these @#%&!s? But if Fergie calls a shit referee shit, all hell breaks loose. Where's our Government (previous & current)? Football is at the very heart of our national culture and identity? Not a word. But you get questions in Parliament when Fergie plays 'kids' in the League Cup?

The @#%&!s responsible for all this should be going to jail, but instead they're laughing all the way to the bank. But never mind, lets laugh at Portsmouth fans because we 'hate' them
I'm having that! Good stuff.

It's an absolute tragedy that Pompey might go bump. I remember being saddened when Aldershot went. Doesn't matter who they are, these clubs shouldn't be going out of business, it's a sport ffs. That includes Leeds, Liverpool and City btw.

Well, maybe not City, especially after the last few years.

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:38 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

I don't actually need any of your rep btw, as I'm already a bit of a Rep-God

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Me

Shit like this just winds me up. Football in this country is getting beyond a joke now. A club that played in two Cup finals in the last few years could potentially be wiped out for no good reason. None at all and it's only the fans and communities that suffer. The people in charge just carry on regardless, 'best league in the world' and all the rest of the bullshit.

No one's held to account. In fact, no one in with any authority seems to particularly care. I don't even know what the FA's job is these days; apart from giving huge contracts to England managers they then want to sack but can't afford too
Going on expensive junkets seems to be their main priority, tbh

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Sullingtons

I reckon watcher's either been sacked of gone through a messy break up the way he's posting at the moment.

He'll be meeting me for Fat Duck Night VII soon.

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:41 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Going on expensive junkets seems to be their main priority, tbh
They're so hung up on this world cup bid and all those sweet, sweet bribes, sorry, did I say bribes, I meant commercial endorsements and contracts, that they're neglecting the £#%&!ing shambles in their own league.

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Sullingtons

Quote:
Me
Yeah, not a criticism. You've racked up some serious rep without posting one gif/pic.

Fair play.

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:46 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I'm having that! Good stuff.

It's an absolute tragedy that Pompey might go bump. I remember being saddened when Aldershot went. Doesn't matter who they are, these clubs shouldn't be going out of business, it's a sport ffs. That includes Leeds, Liverpool and City btw.

Well, maybe not City, especially after the last few years.
Leeds was a little different, as their problems arose from their reckless spending. But of course, if we had sensible laws preventing clubs from amassing unsustainable debt, that wouldn't have been possible. But again, Ridsdale just swanned off to Cardiff while it was the scum fans who had to slum it in the old fourth division. What was it, just five years after reaching a European Cup semi-final?

There are so many things wrong with football now it's hard to know where to start. But surely having a League which is run and 'regulated' by it's members is the biggest of the lot. The owners want leveraged buy outs. They want huge levels of debt. What they don't want is real regulation (like we had for a century) which prevent clubs from becoming little more money printing factories. The game me sick tbh.

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:48 PM
ReligiousRed

Quote:
Leeds was a little different, as their problems arose from their reckless spending. But of course, if we had sensible laws preventing clubs from amassing unsustainable debt, that wouldn't have been possible. But again, Ridsdale just swanned off to Cardiff while it was the scum fans who had to slum it in the old fourth division. What was it, just five years after reaching a European Cup semi-final?

There are so many things wrong with football now it's hard to know where to start. But surely having a League which is run and 'regulated' by it's members is the biggest of the lot. The owners want leveraged buy outs. They want huge levels of debt. What they don't want is real regulation (like we had for a century) which prevent clubs from becoming little more money printing factories. The game me sick tbh.
Alright Ghandi you've had your say.

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:49 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

Much as we might wish it..........

(sorry for the pedantry, fella)

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:49 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullingtons
He'll be meeting me for Fat Duck Night VII soon.
You've had six already? ffs!

Rooney's @#%&!ish behaviour adid wonders for my green squares

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:50 PM
dunk

Ridsdale should've gone to jail for malpractice or something. Fraud maybe.

Gambled with the clubs money and future as if it was his own to lose and he could afford it, almost Nick Leeson-esque, managing the club with no responsibility.

Obviously, it was entertaining and gratifying to witness given who it was, but if you take a step back, it should never have bee allowed to happen.

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:51 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Leeds was a little different, as their problems arose from their reckless spending.
Isn't that exactly what's happened with Portsmouth as well?

It's sad and all, not saying it's not, but their mere presence in those two cup finals was basically down to signing players on wages they couldn't really afford.

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:51 PM
stax

It'd be a real shame if Pompey went bust, I spent a few weeks working down in the Naval base last year and the locals were good. They have their idiots but so do we.

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Zorg

Quote:
There's some real bullshit in this thread. 'Hate' Portsmouth. Really? Really??? Try and remember we're Manchester United fans eh? 'Hate' ffs.

No one should loose their club. No one. It's £#%&!ing disgusting what's happening to Portsmouth. A succession of criminal 'owners', using it to launder/syphon money for their own questionable ends, resulting in the club possibly being liquidated. Scandalous.

But this latest shameful episode is just a reflection on the state of our national game. We've had liverpool dragged through a couple of courts and almost put in administration because of their foreign owners. The ongoing saga at United and how our totally unnecessary leveraged take over (which nobody wanted) has all but neutered the clubs hard won financial clout, built up over decades of success. Where's the Premier League? Where's The FA? You don't hear a word from these @#%&!s? But if Fergie calls a shit referee shit, all hell breaks loose. Where's our Government (previous & current)? Football is at the very heart of our national culture and identity? Not a word. But you get questions in Parliament when Fergie plays 'kids' in the League Cup?

The @#%&!s responsible for all this should be going to jail, but instead they're laughing all the way to the bank. But never mind, lets laugh at Portsmouth fans because we 'hate' them
That.

£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Leeds was a little different, as their problems arose from their reckless spending.

They want huge levels of debt. What they don't want is real regulation (like we had for a century) which prevent clubs from becoming little more money printing factories. The game me sick tbh.

were the £#%&! did Portsmouth's problems come from how is it different

plopborsky

Quote:

pompy where not much better

"Now, I am not suggesting it is Utaka’s fault that Harry Redknapp forked out £7m to bring him to Pompey from Rennes in 2007, but that fee will remain a millstone around his neck. So will the £80,000 he takes home every week, a figure which represents a massive chunk of Pompey’s trimmed-down wage bill".

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/09...-dying-career/

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:53 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Much as we might wish it..........

(sorry for the pedantry, fella)
Division 3, yea.

Seeing their fans sing "We are the champions, champions of europe" at places like Brighton and Hartlepool warmed my heart tbh

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Sullingtons

I don't understand how football, which essentially is quite a good money making business, manages to attract so many idiots who £#%&! it up.

The same thing hardly happens in other sectors? Bolland doesn't take over at M&S and all of a sudden they're bankrupt. Madness.

Unread 22-10-2010, 09:59 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Ridsdale should've gone to jail for malpractice or something. Fraud maybe.

Gambled with the clubs money and future as if it was his own to lose and he could afford it, almost Nick Leeson-esque, managing the club with no responsibility.

Obviously, it was entertaining and gratifying to witness given who it was, but if you take a step back, it should never have bee allowed to happen.
Yea, I agree with that. Like I said before, clubs simply shouldn't be allowed to rack up such huge debts in the first place. You'll always get a joker like Ridsdale or Milan Mandaric who thinks nothing of putting a club at great risk for shot term gain and the ego boost it provides.

The Nick Leeson comparison is spot on. But again, no one really seems to care. Thaksin Shinawatra owned an English football club ffs

Unread 22-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullingtons
I don't understand how football, which essentially is quite a good money making business, manages to attract so many idiots who £#%&! it up.

The same thing hardly happens in other sectors? Bolland doesn't take over at M&S and all of a sudden they're bankrupt. Madness.
because its so badly regulated
Closed Thread