United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
C'mon. We can be furious with Roeder if we like, but that's not the point.

If he was anywhere near good enough for us then he should walk into that Newcastle side. They had problems with Martins as he was slow to settle. They also had injuries and he still didn't get a look in.

Roeder is shit, but if Rossi was good enough he'd be in the side.

He's done well in Italy, yes. But I think that probably points to him being better suited to Italian football more than anything else.

I have nothing against the lad at all and I'd love for him to make the grade - we rarely get strikers coming through. But I fear he's done well in Italy and that's where he'll stay as a result.

You obviously don't rate him and are tailoring your argument to that view. Fergie was furious 'cos he thought he should've been in their team as he was good enough, that's why he let him go there.
As to his success at Parma meaning he suits Italy better than England, I don't even know what that means. Zola was succesful in Italy, then came to England and was even better. I think that at ourlevel you can be a success in Italy or Spain or at United. Otherwise suggestions of signning any foreigners would be out the window.

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:21 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I think it's certain Saha will be sold.

That's the thing, I want Rossi to be given chances, as well as Pique, Evans and Gibson, but sadly they probably won't be. Stop making out I don't want him to make it, I want him to be given chances, but it's doubtful, imo, that he will.

Vio there is no "hate". If "hating" somebody is when you don't think they'll be given a chance then I'm confused.
It's not hate, you're justa gloomy negative £#%&!er, that's all.

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:23 PM
violater

Quote:
Vio there is no "hate". If "hating" somebody is when you don't think they'll be given a chance then I'm confused.
whats confusing is how you came into this when i quote someone elses post

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:30 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater
whats confusing is how you came into this when i quote someone elses post
I thought you meant me mate because Rhodzy clearly loves Rossi and you quoted him. Apologies.

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:31 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
It's not hate, you're justa gloomy negative £#%&!er, that's all.
I'm probably one of the most positive and was even when everyone on RI was negative and gloomy.

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:33 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I'm probably one of the most positive and was even when everyone on RI was negative and gloomy.
Yet you believe there's no chance any of our young players will get a hint of a chance at United even though Fergie has made statements to the contrary. What would you call that?

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:34 PM
violater

Quote:
Rhodzy clearly loves Rossi and you quoted him. .
exactly.

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:35 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Yet you believe there's no chance any of our young players will get a hint of a chance at United even though Fergie has made statements to the contrary. What would you call that?
More to do with the game. There is a few we would have liked to have given a chance, David Jones for one. My point is, I would be, shocked, or say pleasantry surprised if Rossi was an active member of our first team squad next season, and if Evans etc were given proper chances over the next 2 seasons, I just can't see it. They need proper games, Rossi needs to be a real part of a the squad, not just a young lad playing 1 game a season with 2 sub appearances late on, he needs games to make an impact.

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:36 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
You obviously don't rate him and are tailoring your argument to that view. Fergie was furious 'cos he thought he should've been in their team as he was good enough, that's why he let him go there.
As to his success at Parma meaning he suits Italy better than England, I don't even know what that means. Zola was succesful in Italy, then came to England and was even better. I think that at ourlevel you can be a success in Italy or Spain or at United. Otherwise suggestions of signning any foreigners would be out the window.
Please don't put words in my mouth, Bedders.

I do like Rossi. He's shown a lot of promise and is clearly a class act. But he's also shown that he's lightweight and struggles to impose himself on games. I'm not questioning his technical ability, I'm worried he may not be suited to our game based on his limited success here and subsequent success in a league less physical.

Admittedly, this could just be because he is young and needs to develop, hence Fergie wanting him to get Prem experience. However, the fact is that Newcastle didn't play him. Roeder had no reason to not play him, but still didn't. I don't know why you keep insisting on saying that Fergie was mad. I know he was and probably rightly so. He was sent to get games and didn't get any.

But this isn't the point.

We need to be asking why and the main reason for that would point to Newcastle clearly not thinking he was worthy of a place in the side.

Zola was a success in both countries, yes. But Rossi was not a success in England in an albeit fleeting spell.

He was sent on loan to gain experience and impress. Not only did he not do that, but he failed to even get in the side. The politics and resulting anger means nothing.
I'm not anti- Rossi. I'm just making the observation and explaining why I think he may not make it.

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:42 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Please don't put words in my mouth, Bedders.

I do like Rossi. He's shown a lot of promise and is clearly a class act. But he's also shown that he's lightweight and struggles to impose himself on games. I'm not questioning his technical ability, I'm worried he may not be suited to our game based on his limited success here and subsequent success in a league less physical.

Admittedly, this could just be because he is young and needs to develop, hence Fergie wanting him to get Prem experience. However, the fact is that Newcastle didn't play him. Roeder had no reason to not play him, but still didn't. I don't know why you keep insisting on saying that Fergie was mad. I know he was and probably rightly so. He was sent to get games and didn't get any.

But this isn't the point.

We need to be asking why and the main reason for that would point to Newcastle clearly not thinking he was worthy of a place in the side.

Zola was a success in both countries, yes. But Rossi was not a success in England in an albeit fleeting spell.

He was sent on loan to gain experience and impress. Not only did he not do that, but he failed to even get in the side. The politics and resulting anger means nothing.
I'm not anti- Rossi. I'm just making the observation and explaining why I think he may not make it.
Yes but you are basing your assesment on the opinion of a dreadful manager who's been sacked for his incompetence, whilst simulaneously brushing asaide the players subsequent success in Italy with claims it's just he suits that league better. Oh and my point about Fergie beimng angry isrelevant, 'cos he was convinced Rossi should've been getting games there as he was good enough, I'll trust his opinion above £#%&!wit Roeder.

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
The Eto'o rumours are just ridiculous.
You never know. If we're going to pay 18m for Hargreaves, why not 25m on Eto'o? Maybe we'll send them Heinze, Saha or someone in part exchange.

This is exactly the kind of situation I feared, though: Eto'o being available for 30m odd, and we settle for someone like Huntelaar because we spend the bulk of our budget on Owen £#%&!ing Hargreaves.

Unread 11-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Rhodzy

Rossi I think will be able to handle the physicality of the premiership, he won't shy away from contact.

Unread 11-05-2007, 02:08 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodzy
I love Rossi, check the av
I was trying to say I see him playing in the position Giggs has been playing lately.
I would agree with this. He is perfect for a position in the "three" off the front man.

I would be absolutely amazed if we let him go. This is the system we've been building towards for a couple of years. I'm personally quite giddy at the prospect of Rooney, Ronaldo and Rossi. I think they'll be phenomenal. Rossi will add that little turn of pace and cuteness in the box that we've lacked since maybe the days of Scholes at his peak and Cole and Yorke. We should also remember that the guy takes a pretty mean free-kick and we still lack that in this team.

Get the right man to play up top and its a very very formidable looking forward line.

I think we need to consider the situation last summer again. Ruud had just been sold in controversial circumstances and here was this tried and untested kid struggling for goals pre-season. It suddenly became very risky to throw him into the mix in terms of his longer term development.

Being out on loan this year doesn't mean that the player is less in Ferguson's long term plans than the likes of Richardson, Silvestre and Kusczak, quite the opposite I'd suspect. Ferguson doesn't care too much about what the lack of first team football means for Richardson's development because he's never going to amount to much.

Unread 11-05-2007, 02:11 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
I would agree with this. He is perfect for a position in the "three" off the front man.
He can also play on the left of the front 3 as he does for Italy u21s.

Unread 11-05-2007, 02:37 PM
celtbion

Quote:
He can also play on the left of the front 3 as he does for Italy u21s.
I don't like a front three. It's too flat and tends to get isolated from the midfield.

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:26 PM
jem

Quote:
Remember Fergie was absolutely furious with the Barcodes for not playing him. Why would he give a shit if he was£#%&!ing him off at the end of the season.
because you can't sell a player without putting him in the shop window?

Quote:
Roeder is shit, but if Rossi was good enough he'd be in the side.
ahem. you mean if roeder was good enough he'd be in the side?

Quote:
Thing is, the lad has been built up very highly and very quickly by a lot of people. He's had a cameos for us and I think concerns arose during these appearances that he is very small and may not adapt to the physical side and pace - like so many players struggle with.
er.... he's been built up because he's a classy little player. he's the new paul scholes, you know. which is lucky.

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Tropical

the only thing we learned from it was that Rossi didn't belong at Newcastle.

The few games he did get (which I made a point of watching whenever possible, just to see him) he was stuck alone up front of a mediocre team at its lowest ebb. He worked his little socks off, but achieved £#%&!-all because even a big centre-forward would have struggled in those circumstances, let alone a skilful little player who belongs behind the frontman.

A complete waste of time, and no reflection on Rossi. Maybe he can cut it in English football; maybe he can't. But we were never going to find out from that.

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:18 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
the only thing we learned from it was that Rossi didn't belong at Newcastle.

The few games he did get (which I made a point of watching whenever possible, just to see him) he was stuck alone up front of a mediocre team at its lowest ebb. He worked his little socks off, but achieved £#%&!-all because even a big centre-forward would have struggled in those circumstances, let alone a skilful little player who belongs behind the frontman.

A complete waste of time, and no reflection on Rossi. Maybe he can cut it in English football; maybe he can't. But we were never going to find out from that.
sounds like good practice for playing for united. what can I say? it just rolled across the six yard box... it was instinct.

Unread 11-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Tropical

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:08 AM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
I've not been quiet, ta for asking. I've just not been making much noise on here. We're champions. I've been doing a fair bit of happy drinking away from the computer.

Care to take a guess?

Seeing as you ask, I'm absolutely £#%&!ing amazed. And absolutely £#%&!ing delighted. The fact that we've done it the right way makes it all the sweeter. I love all living things. OK, all living Red things. There may be folk for whom the gloss is taken off by the thought of sharing the celebrations with those they bitterly differ from. But more fool them. As much for the bitterness as anything. Nothing can spoil it for me.
I still can't make any sense of it. I really thought we'd need Hargreaves and without that defensive mid would struggle too often. I suppose we didn't bank on the likes of Ronaldo (and Rooney, his goals and assists tally in a so-so season in many ways is remarkable) being such a force going forward. The input of the likes of Scholes, Solskjaer and Giggs. The injury to Cech helped as did their swapping of Ashley Cole for their best defender.

The exciting bit for me now is that if we get a few signings right this summer, this team could then push on into the "great" category.
Closed Thread