United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: should we be singing it?
no - unacceptable, classist, Tory 5 9.26%
yes - it was just banter 20 37.04%
yes - I genuinely detest scousers and consider them inferior 29 53.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:11 PM
pedr0

Default "feed the scousers" / "Liverpool slums"

see growing opinion that these songs are unacceptable/ as bad as any other form of discriminatory chanting

poll to follow

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:15 PM
Finport Red

We’ll be getting ‘build a bonfire’ cancelled next, for climate change or health & safety due to the size it would have to be to fit them all on.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:17 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
We’ll be getting ‘build a bonfire’ cancelled next, for climate change or health & safety due to the size it would have to be to fit them all on.

The game is already ridiculous sanitised.

We sing shit about them, they sing shit about us. It's how this works.

The only thing I despise (aside from, obviously racism etc) is tragedy chanting. That said, I hear very little from our lot on that front.

Unread 19-12-2023, 10:13 AM
wiganste

It is very Tory tbf but it winds them up so £#%&! em

Unread 19-12-2023, 10:17 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
It is very Tory tbf but it winds them up so £#%&! em
Yea £#%&! em

Heseltine (the @#%&!) poured £#%&!ing millions into that city after the toxteth riots and the still moaned like £#%&!

We had the moss side riots and all we got was a £#%&!ing chief of police quoting the sky fairy bible

Unread 19-12-2023, 10:49 AM
Zorg

But but they're just friendly chirpy scousers who definitely never sing about Munich, la. JusticeFTYNWA

Unread 19-12-2023, 10:56 AM
Medlock

They're so uptight about everything ffs

Unread 19-12-2023, 11:10 AM
Dr Stranger

It’s inevitably where the game is going

The sanitised #bekind message is completely at odds with most fans hating mosts clubs other than their own. The majority of songs are a joke. It’s all recreational ‘hatred’ for the most part and most won’t cross that line into directly attacking individuals or getting into hooliganism

It’s necessary for overtly unacceptable topics: Racism, homophobia, mocking the dead….but ‘poverty shaming’? Really, guys? Is that worse than being told to £#%&! off or that you’re shit

There’s sort of a deal you enter into when you go into a football stadium and engage in that way. There will be mockery. Similar to going to see a comedian. Of course, like a lot of comedy now, that sort of context doesn’t seem to matter

The next step is clamping down on anything that could be deemed as derogatory, which will end up meaning you can sing only about your own team…. And it better not be about the size of your striker’s #@&%! or how your midfielder eats dogs

And we wonder why atmospheres are going to shit

Unread 19-12-2023, 12:05 PM
tatty

Chants based on amusing general stereotypes (theirs, ours, whatever) is fine.

Chanting based on actual events where people have died isn’t something i’d be interested in.

Unread 19-12-2023, 02:23 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Chants based on amusing general stereotypes (theirs, ours, whatever) is fine.

Chanting based on actual events where people have died isn’t something i’d be interested in.
Sure, but doesn’t it stick in the craw that they revelled in Munich. They even revelled in Heysel ffs. They had banners - it wasn’t even just chants.

And now they’re holier than thou and none of that never happened?

Unread 19-12-2023, 04:39 PM
Travis Bickle

I am happy to continue singing such songs. Manchester had slums and poverty too - we just didn't bang on about it. Their continual victim status earned them the right to such chants.

"Rent boys" (homophobic, my arse), "sheep £#%&!gers" ( bestiality?), "We all hate Leeds scum" (we do, they are), and "My old man" (advocating blunt trauma and sharp object lacerations as well as intimate relations with an inanimate object) - all just a bit of fun really.

Unread 19-12-2023, 04:43 PM
Finport Red

If it comes to light that it is the rats complaining about an horrendous and unacceptable association with dirty, disease carrying vermin, I’m happy to reconsider.

Unread 19-12-2023, 10:14 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
I am happy to continue singing such songs. Manchester had slums and poverty too - we just didn't bang on about it. Their continual victim status earned them the right to such chants.

"Rent boys" (homophobic, my arse), "sheep £#%&!gers" ( bestiality?), "We all hate Leeds scum" (we do, they are), and "My old man" (advocating blunt trauma and sharp object lacerations as well as intimate relations with an inanimate object) - all just a bit of fun really.
Misappropriating my views?

Unread 19-12-2023, 11:07 PM
Medlock

Never really understood taking offense at football songs. When teams have sung about Munich it hasnt (and couldnt) upset me. Sometimes Ive allowed it to anger me but only so I could go all 10 (Hag) men threaten the whole away end for a laugh. So, in my view, any offense is contrived and performative, i.e. scouse, and should be treated accordingly.

Unread 19-12-2023, 11:47 PM
Travis Bickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado
Misappropriating my views?
Possibly, but tbh I have no idea what your views are.

Unread 19-12-2023, 11:59 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Many a true word is said in jest & it is about time The PL & The FA told the woke brigade to keep their noses out of football & the Tv companys need to do the same whenever the wokes try to ruin Comedy programmes that nobody was offended about 40 or 50 years ago!

Unread 20-12-2023, 12:07 AM
Travis Bickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hill
Many a true word is said in jest & it is about time The PL & The FA told the woke brigade to keep their noses out of football & the Tv companys need to do the same whenever the wokes try to ruin Comedy programmes that nobody was offended about 40 or 50 years ago!

That Alf Garnett was a right old laugh. Bernard Manning - oh how I split my sides. Chubby Brown - finger on the pulse. Jim Davidson - couldn't get enough of his racism. What has the world come to, eh?

Unread 20-12-2023, 12:16 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hill
You're wanting to bring back the bigotry and the racism are you Gordon?

Unread 20-12-2023, 07:41 AM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
Never really understood taking offense at football songs. When teams have sung about Munich it hasnt (and couldnt) upset me. Sometimes Ive allowed it to anger me but only so I could go all 10 (Hag) men threaten the whole away end for a laugh. So, in my view, any offense is contrived and performative, i.e. scouse, and should be treated accordingly.
Agreed.

Don’t think we should be singing it though IMHO.

More for the fact that every other no-mark club sings it incessantly and think they’re being hysterical. Move on.

Unread 20-12-2023, 08:05 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
Agreed when it comes to chants like Feed the scousers and Liverpool slums. Any chants about tragedies are @#%&!ish to the extreme, there's no real need for them (and more often than not we're on the receiving end of it).

But Liverpool slums? Honestly think I'd laugh at it if I was a scouser whenever I heard it.

Give it another few years and this guys going to end up looking like a revolutionary.