United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-11-2014, 11:09 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
Apologies if answered but...was he Meant to be smart?
Agreed. He was meant to be a keeper.
How did his financial management team left it come to this?

Unread 05-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
I remember reading his Guardian column about 5 years ago and he said he was learning a new word a day, and that day he'd learnt what pedant meant.

He must have been 40 then.

So no, no he wasn't

Unread 05-11-2014, 11:19 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
I remember reading his Guardian column about 5 years ago and he said he was learning a new word a day, and that day he'd learnt what pedant meant.

So no, no he wasn't
I think he's considered smart in football circles; land of the blind and all that.

This a world in which Pat Nevin and Graeme Le Saux pass for intellectuals

Unread 05-11-2014, 11:29 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
I think he's considered smart in football circles; land of the blind and all that.

Doesn't he have some actual pretentions in that direction?

Unread 05-11-2014, 11:46 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Doesn't he have some actual pretentions in that direction?
Don't we all...

Unread 05-11-2014, 11:52 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Don't we all...
Yeah, but IIRC he has actually been asked to write about politics and stuff?

Unread 06-11-2014, 12:30 AM
lookingforeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I was working in Downham Market a few years ago and saw that guy in tesco. He was buying tesco value lasagne. I felt physically sick knowing once he had 10 million in the bank & now I'm eating better than he is. i saw his house too. it was just one medium sized house with about 4 extensions built onto it. proof money doesn't buy class.

Unread 06-11-2014, 12:47 AM
jem

Quote:

So no, no he wasn't
didn't know he lurked on here.

Unread 06-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Grimson

Quote:
He's more thoughtful than the average player.

These guys leave school at a young age, which is significant, but much more significant is that at that same young age, they enter a world where absolute obedience and deference to authority figures is expected, asking questions (except specific football ones) is discouraged, and anything other than total conformity to what is expected of a young footballer makes you a target in the dressing room.

So IMO it's not so much that footballers are thick; they're just permanently 16 years old in terms of development.

Unread 06-11-2014, 09:44 AM
irk

Quote:

Or grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
He's more thoughtful than the average player.

These guys leave school at a young age, which is significant, but much more significant is that at that same young age, they enter a world where absolute obedience and deference to authority figures is expected, asking questions (except specific football ones) is discouraged, and anything other than total conformity to what is expected of a young footballer makes you a target in the dressing room.

So IMO it's not so much that footballers are thick; they're just permanently 16 years old in terms of development.
Utter £#%&!ers then?

Did you get the graham le saux treatment for being a "reader"?

Unread 06-11-2014, 09:51 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforeric
I was working in Downham Market a few years ago and saw that guy in tesco. He was buying tesco value lasagne. I felt physically sick knowing once he had 10 million in the bank & now I'm eating better than he is. i saw his house too. it was just one medium sized house with about 4 extensions built onto it. proof money doesn't buy class.
Steven Ireland's Range Rover was proof of that a long time ago pol.

Unread 06-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Or grimson

Utter w****rs then?

Did you get the graham le saux treatment for being a "reader"?
Read his book to find out.

Unread 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM
irk

Quote:
Read his book to find out.
Can't read. Waste of time innit.
Closed Thread