United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
So France were bothered... nobody else was.

A bit like when one of the big sides takes the League Cup seriously and nobody else does. Last year some United fans tried to get excited about it, others merely harked back to the days when we could afford to treat it with contempt, and win big trophies instead.
You're talking a bit of shite now. France is one of the premier footballing nations in the world over the last decade. If it was a big deal there, then it's a big deal, full stop. The entire continent of Africa was also watching, as Cameroon made the final.

How much football other than United do you follow, if I may ask?

Unread 09-05-2007, 02:48 AM
DoubleJ

there is going for him and getting him, the fee alone will be touching 25-30m mark, and his wages id imagine would be around 110k a week, cant see the gimps paying up for that, especially if we go get hargreaves or someone for around 15m again, then there is the elusive third target who could be anyone and id imagien would be another sizeable fee

Unread 09-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
You're talking a bit of shite now. France is one of the premier footballing nations in the world over the last decade. If it was a big deal there, then it's a big deal, full stop. The entire continent of Africa was also watching, as Cameroon made the final.

How much football other than United do you follow, if I may ask?
I watch United, Spanish football and major international tournaments... which counts out the Confederations Cup.

Talking shite? France flopped in in 2002 and 2004. In between they won the Confederations Cup. Did that redeem their international reputation? Did it £#%&!. It might have been taken seriously in France, but it is a distant 3rd to the World Cup and Euro Championships, just as the League Cup is a distant 3rd to the League and FA Cup.

If it's a big deal in France, it's a big deal full stop?

Anyone for a game of Boules?

P.S I remember when the media tried to convince us Le Tournoi was a big deal...

Unread 09-05-2007, 02:57 AM
Grimson

Nevertheless, you're still buying into the idea that Henry flops on the big stage. He has done, on some occasions, but he has played well and/or scored on too many big stages to remember.

Unread 09-05-2007, 03:06 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Nevertheless, you're still buying into the idea that Henry flops on the big stage. He has done, on some occasions, but he has played well and/or scored on too many big stages to remember.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederations_Cup

Just done some research on the Confederations Cup. Established in 1992 ( ), the final has played host to some of the greatest footballing sides ever. You can have your Brazil 1958, 1970, you can stick Argentina 1986 and Holland 1974.

Conderations Cup finalist have included the great Saudi Arabians of 1992, the famous Australia side of 1997 and who could forget the Total Football of China in 2001.

Denmark won it in 1995, and Mexico were undoubtedly the greatest side on the planet in 1999 when they were victorious.

Henry doesn't perform in finals. It's a fact which is supported by the stats.

Anyway, this is all by-the-by. Eto'o is the real deal and I want him here.

Unread 09-05-2007, 03:11 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
I agree that the 'Henry is a bottler' thing is exaggerated. I like to use it because I hate him but in fairness he doesn't always play shit in big games. If you're talking about the very biggest games then that's only three or four games and I don't think they were just down to him bottling it. Still, while he acts the @#%&! I'll happily use this against him.

Unread 09-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Henry doesn't perform in finals. It's a fact which is supported by the stats.
Yeah, I want Eto'o here too.

Saying Henry doesn't perform in Finals - of which he's only played, what, 4? 5? - is entirely different to saying he doesn't perform on the big stage or in big games - of which he's played dozens and scored in plenty.

Jesus why am I defending him

Unread 09-05-2007, 03:28 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Yeah, I want Eto'o here too.

Saying Henry doesn't perform in Finals - of which he's only played, what, 4? 5? - is entirely different to saying he doesn't perform on the big stage or in big games - of which he's played dozens and scored in plenty.

Jesus why am I defending him
4 or 5? Not when you count international tournaments, FA Cups etc.

Anyway, in other, more realistic, news...

http://sport.independent.co.uk/footb...cle2524383.ece

To keep Saha company in the medical room.

Unread 09-05-2007, 03:30 AM
Grimson

Quote:
4 or 5? Not when you count international tournaments, FA Cups etc.
I was. Don't forget he missed out on the 98 World Cup Final and the 2005 FA Cup Final.

Unread 09-05-2007, 03:35 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
I was. Don't forget he missed out on the 98 World Cup Final and the 2005 FA Cup Final.

5, at most.

Euro Champs 2000

FA Cup 2001, 2002, 2003

Champions League 2006

World Cup 2006

Unread 09-05-2007, 03:38 AM
Grimson

Okay 6.

But I have more vcash so I'm right.

As for Owen, I don't know. Imagine if he were healthy...probably not worth the risk though.

Unread 09-05-2007, 03:40 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Okay 6.

But I have more vcash so I'm right.

As for Owen, I don't know. Imagine if he were healthy...probably not worth the risk though.
I try to imagine him healthy, but all I can see is him, Ole and Saha out injured and Alan Smith charging around kicking people, whilst Rossi is on loan at Sunderland warming the bench...

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Whalefish

Eto'o?

Believe it when I see it. How long is left on his current deal? Reports in Spain suggest Barca have made contact with Henry again.

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:33 AM
rebelcountyred

eto? never in a million years, more important for fergie and saha to sort out their dispute, we don't know the reasons why louis has had a strop but he would be too hard and expensive to replace, louis stays, rossi in, concentrate on strenghtening the areas that need it, right full back, defensive midfielder like the de rossi and winger.

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:34 AM
The Return of JC

Eto'o would be an amazing signing. As good as Ronaldinho was when Barca were at their peak, Eto'o wasn't far behind.

It's not going to happen though.

If Hargreaves is 'nailed on' he'll cost around £20m and I can't see us buying two £20m players.

So that includes Eto'o, Berbatov, Torres and to a lesser extent Huntelaar.

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Whalefish

If Saha goes I still think we'll end up with two mid priced strikers. Be it a Defoe or Huntelaar (he wouldn't cost anywhere near £20million IMO) and possibly that lad at Sampdoria. I will not be happy if Defoe arrives. The @#%&!.

I'm not expecting much from Ole next season and part of me is still expecting Rossi to either be loaned out or sold in the Summer. Despite what his agent says. Sad to say.

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:43 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
If Saha goes I still think we'll end up with two mid priced strikers. Be it a Defoe or Huntelaar (he wouldn't cost anywhere near £20million IMO) and possibly that lad at Sampdoria. I will not be happy if Defoe arrives. The @#%&!.

I'm not expecting much from Ole next season and part of me is still expecting Rossi to either be loaned out or sold in the Summer. Despite what his agent says. Sad to say.
I can't help but feel Rossi won't be here either.

I know Glenn Roeder is a berk, but he surely would've started Rossi more if he was good enough.

The fact he's doing well in Serie A probably points more to the notion that he's better suited to Italian football than it does of him succeeding here.

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:45 AM
El Calafate

hmm! i'm sure someone mentioned this yesterday.

http://www.utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=27140

nft.

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:48 AM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
hmm! i'm sure someone mentioned this yesterday.

http://www.utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=27140

nft.
have an apple

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:50 AM
El Calafate

one thing to remember about Eto'o. he'll be playing in the African tournament this year, so he'd miss a big chunk of the season. nft.
Closed Thread