United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2015, 10:40 AM
red red robbo ...

Default Arsenal better off in second rate European competition - Wenger

Getting his excuses in early for next year or just a man of very little ambition, prepared to settle for being a big fish in a puddle?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...-europa-league

Old 19-03-2015, 11:09 AM
Baron ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Getting his excuses in early for next year or just a man of very little ambition, prepared to settle for being a big fish in a puddle?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...-europa-league
I'd be a bit surprised if he was still there in the summer tbh. Klopp will be available at the end of the season & new challenges will be undertaken. Wenger will join the board or run the academy etc.

Old 19-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Lok ...

It doesn't read like an excuse to me.

It sounds like he's criticising the fact that the 3rd place teams in the group stages get to enter the Europa League.

It is a stupid rule tbf.

Old 19-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Doctor Hver ...

If he wants to be in Europa then why doesn't he aim to finish 5th or so.But I think his days are next to numbered.

Old 19-03-2015, 11:54 AM
PeakyBlinder ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

It sounds like he's criticising the fact that the 3rd place teams in the group stages get to enter the Europa League.

It is a stupid rule tbf.
This.

He has elaborated and that's pretty much what he was getting at.

Old 19-03-2015, 11:56 AM
S/Side.Red ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

It is a stupid rule tbf.
Especially as it now gives those clubs another route into qualifying for the following season's Champions League.

Old 19-03-2015, 12:03 PM
utd99 ...

Or, maybe if his team didn't fold like an origami champion, again, at home to one of the weaker teams left in the competition, they would be looking at a quarter final spot now and taking all the plaudits for being the only Prem team standing.

Wenger has a gift for diverting attention away from the real issue.

Old 19-03-2015, 12:34 PM
red red robbo ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

It is a stupid rule tbf.
Of course he is, and I hate to say it be he's right. Still, I prefer my original spin on it

Old 19-03-2015, 12:43 PM
utd99 ...

So if you offered him a choice of CL knockouts or Europa in February, which would he take?

It's classic Wenger. Gripe, but have your gripe dressed up in vague legitimacy even if it's completely irrelevant to the case in point. Namely, why is your team never able to evolve past fourth in the league and last 16 of the Champions league, no matter what you do?

Old 19-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Semantic Lisp ...

monaco are the sort of team you'd expect to face in the europa league round about last 16/last 8 anyway, just below top level

everyone bigging arsenal up needs to remember that monaco had good chances to score on tuesday for one, and for two they didn't f**king need to

same thing with city winning in munich - bayern were arsed, but only up to a point
Closed Thread