United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-12-2010, 06:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Default Re: Chris Hughton

I can understand it, tbh. Hughton does come across a bit simple. Thought they may have waited until they had a replacement sorted, mind.

Unread 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I can understand it, tbh. Hughton does come across a bit simple. Thought they may have waited until they had a replacement sorted, mind.
You'd think there would be other considerations really. Like taking the club back up at the first attempt and performing solidly when they get there. Football is crammed with simpletons, they only really need to know about football. Harry Redknapp would not be my choice as partner at a difficult pub quiz but I've not doubt he could do a decent job at Newcastle.

Unread 06-12-2010, 06:41 PM
andyroo

Good point dodger. Whereas managers that are ridiculously clever usually end up too clever by half (Wenger, Benitez, Mourinho etc.)

Unread 06-12-2010, 06:54 PM
red in cumbria

Wasn't Hughton involved in some far-left sect or other back in his playing days?? Not your normal "simple" footballer in that respect, if no other - seems popular amongst his peers too.

Hopefully he will get another job before too long

Unread 06-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Zaitsev

Quote:
I can understand it, tbh. Hughton does come across a bit simple.
Deary me. Unless you mean straightforward and honest, that statement is just ridiculous.

Unread 06-12-2010, 06:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
You'd think there would be other considerations really. Like taking the club back up at the first attempt and performing solidly when they get there. Football is crammed with simpletons, they only really need to know about football. Harry Redknapp would not be my choice as partner at a difficult pub quiz but I've not doubt he could do a decent job at Newcastle.
I did mean simple in football terms. From what I've seen, he doesn't inspire confidence.

I actually thought they might move him back to the coaching staff in the summer. It's strange to allow him to start the season and then sack him with them not being in particular trouble. That said, results recently have been very poor and I suspect the players don't have much faith in Hughton in the long run.

Unread 06-12-2010, 06:59 PM
dodger

Quote:
I did mean simple in football terms. From what I've seen, he doesn't inspire confidence.

I actually thought they might move him back to the coaching staff in the summer. It's strange to allow him to start the season and then sack him with them not being in particular trouble. That said, results recently have been very poor and I suspect the players don't have much faith in Hughton in the long run.
I don't agree but if that's the thinking they should wait until summer...or do it last summer. Very little can be done in January and they look fine for staying up

Unread 06-12-2010, 07:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I don't agree but if that's the thinking they should wait until summer...or do it last summer. Very little can be done in January and they look fine for staying up
They've had some awful results recently. I reckon they probably didn't want to risk turning everything upside down in the summer and chancing it starting badly, as it could have been difficult to reverse. The rumours about Hughton have been there for months, which suggests they always planned on replacing him. I guess they just wanted some initial stability to get the players used to playing in the Premiership again, then make the change.

Unread 06-12-2010, 07:12 PM
andyroo

Or they tried to get someone else in, a move which flagrantly undermined Hughton's authority, only to end up giving him the job when they realised there wasn't the interest they hoped.

He's been really shabbily treated however you look at it, and I'm not at all convinced there's any method in their madness.

Unread 06-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Switching Off

Maradonna 80/1

Unread 06-12-2010, 07:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaitsev
Deary me. Unless you mean straightforward and honest, that statement is just ridiculous.
To me, he seems a friendly, unassuming guy with no real presence or noticeable insight and is very limited tactically. Probably why he was a coach/assistant for 15 or so years before last summer.

Unread 06-12-2010, 07:23 PM
taff

poor £#%&!er, he's better off out of that shithole. wonder what the odds are on them getting relegated now.

problem is newcastle are skint and their stock has fallen so low anyone with any hint of a reputation won't touch them. even after allardyce went they had the likes of redknapp, hughes and bruce interested - they'll struggle to attract established names like that now.

only one man for the job imo. a north-east boy born and bred.

Unread 06-12-2010, 07:23 PM
forzagarza

Strange one as Hughton is black and white through and through

Unread 06-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
Maradona wouldnt surprise me tbh (66/1)
Quote:
taken 80/1 with paddypower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Maradonna 80/1

its a long shot, but its the sort of crazy thing that would happen at newcastle.

probably wont get much on anyway, paddypower wouldnt even let me have a tenner

Unread 06-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Switching Off

Quote:

its a long shot, but its the sort of crazy thing that would happen at newcastle.

probably wont get much on anyway, paddypower wouldnt even let me have a tenner
Exactly, and he'd probably jump at it. Jesus christ it would be quality

Unread 06-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Wasn't Hughton involved in some far-left sect or other back in his playing days??
He is/was a Trotskyist.

Unread 06-12-2010, 07:51 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
poor £#%&!er, he's better off out of that shithole. wonder what the odds are on them getting relegated now.

problem is newcastle are skint and their stock has fallen so low anyone with any hint of a reputation won't touch them. even after allardyce went they had the likes of redknapp, hughes and bruce interested - they'll struggle to attract established names like that now.

only one man for the job imo. a north-east boy born and bred.

They could do worse, tbh......

And being Newcastle, very possibly will

Unread 06-12-2010, 07:58 PM
magic_cantona

It'll obviously be Martin O'Neill coming in with the promise he can purchase an unsettled Ashley Young in January.

He's been poorly treated here has Big Hughters.Team morale will obviously go right doon the pan and I fully expect Joey Barton to kill someone withing a week.Ashers has had a total holocaust.

Unread 06-12-2010, 08:00 PM
taff

it's at times like this that i wonder what big moaty would make of it all

Unread 06-12-2010, 08:18 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
it's at times like this that i wonder what big moaty would make of it all
It might drive him to suicide tbh.
Closed Thread