United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:28 AM
Terry Silver

Thumbs up United in for Eto'o

Much more suitable for us than Berbatov.

We have enough players who can "unlock the door"... we need someone quick with an eye for goal to put the ball in the net.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...id=1779 &ct=5

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:33 AM
TreeFiddy

Not going to happen.

I really, really, really, really would love it to though. He's £#%&!ing class.

At least it's not from the Sun or the Mirror so maybe it's slightly more credible but wouldn't Chelsea be in for him if it was made public?

By the way, he'll also be playing in the African Cup next year but that's a side issue.

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:37 AM
jem

Default I don't

really rate eto'o. I'd put him in the same bracket as trezeguet when it comes to reliability.

and I'm not sure I agree he's more suitable than berbatov either.

there is no £#%&!ing way we'll get eto'o and we'd be ripped off for berbatov.

rossi looks good value.

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Not going to happen.

I really, really, really, really would love it to though. He's £#%&!ing class.

At least it's not from the Sun or the Mirror so maybe it's slightly more credible but wouldn't Chelsea be in for him if it was made public?

By the way, he'll also be playing in the African Cup next year but that's a side issue.
Chelsea might buy him just to stop another team getting him, like they did with Wright-Phillips, but he wouldn't suit their style of play. He needs to play in a footballing side, not in a team full of 6ft plus brick-shit houses battering out 1-0 victories.

If he came to England he could only settle at United or Arsenal... and he'd be mental to go to the latter.

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:40 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
Chelsea might buy him just to stop another team getting him, like they did with Wright-Phillips, but he wouldn't suit their style of play. He needs to play in a footballing side, not in a team full of 6ft plus brick-shit houses battering out 1-0 victories.
Chelsea don't want to be that kind of side any more though. Or at least Abramovich doesn't want them to be. Signing Eto'o would be the perfect addition to prove to everyone that they intend to play good attacking football from now on. The sneaky £#%&!ing Russian knows all about him from their CL encounters.

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:42 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
really rate eto'o. I'd put him in the same bracket as trezeguet when it comes to reliability.

and I'm not sure I agree he's more suitable than berbatov either.

there is no £#%&!ing way we'll get eto'o and we'd be ripped off for berbatov.

rossi looks good value.
Trezeguet has the Henry-gene of flopping on the big stage.

Eto'o was brilliant for Barca in the Champions League last year.

Very elusive, quick and a great finisher. Berbatov is great to watch, but too slow for what we need, in my opinion.

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Eh? Trezeguet?

Anyway, Eto'o is a phenomenal striker, since he's signed for Barca probably the best in the world. How anyone could not rate him is a complete mystery to me.

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:44 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Chelsea don't want to be that kind of side any more though. Or at least Abramovich doesn't want them to be. Signing Eto'o would be the perfect addition to prove to everyone that they intend to play good attacking football from now on. The sneaky £#%&!ing Russian knows all about him from their CL encounters.
If he wants decent football then his first job is to sack Mourinho. It's a foreign concept to him.

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:45 AM
TreeFiddy

Berbatov is good but Eto'o is world class. No contest really.

He'd be a dream signing.

I can't help thinking that this just won't happen though.

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:48 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Other than scoring the golden goal winner in the Euro 2000 Final.

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Ether

Quote:
They've both got pretty impressive medal collections for players who've 'flopped on the big stage'.

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Berbatov is good but Eto'o is world class. No contest really.

He'd be a dream signing.

I can't help thinking that this just won't happen though.

He has had big fallings out with Rijkjkjkjkjkjaard and Ronaldinho this year...

If he is to leave Barca, having achieved all he can there, he is unlikely to be sold to Madrid and England is a better choice, in terms of both football and money, than Italy.

Chelsea and Liverpool would have no use for him in their current incarnations... Chelsea's may change, Liverpool's most certainly won't.

That leaves us and Arsenal. Not much of a choice.

More likely we'll pay £40m for Berbatov and put off a defensive midfielder for yet another year...

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:51 AM
jem

Default I think

we can afford anelka.

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:51 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
They've both got pretty impressive medal collections for players who've 'flopped on the big stage'.
David May, superstar...

Unread 09-05-2007, 02:14 AM
Grimson

Quote:
David May, superstar...

That's pushing it a bit. Someone on the other place once did the detective work and found more than a few occasions when Henry delivered on the big stage - knocked Real out at the Bernabeu last year, scored the equaliser in the Euro 2000 Semifinal against Portugal, golden goal winner in the Confederations Cup Final, the winner against us this year, etc.

Unread 09-05-2007, 02:18 AM
user_name

i worry about his attitude. not his ability

a very selfish, me first player which is pretty much the exact opposite of what we have going on at united.

dont want him. if he's unhappy at barcelona he wont be happy here.

Unread 09-05-2007, 02:22 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

That's pushing it a bit. Someone on the other place once did the detective work and found more than a few occasions when Henry delivered on the big stage - knocked Real out at the Bernabeu last year, scored the equaliser in the Euro 2000 Semifinal against Portugal, golden goal winner in the Confederations Cup Final, the winner against us this year, etc.
Scored a breakaway goal against a dire Madrid side in the first leg, before flopping miserably in the final against Barca and then blaming tiredness (he missed a sitter on 5 mins).

Confederations Cup, Big Stage?! It's the only final he has managed to score in, but was anybody watching?

Euro 2000 Semi-final, fair enough.

He's still a flat-track bully. Eto'o most certainly isn't.

Unread 09-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Grimson

Quote:

Confederations Cup, Big Stage?! It's the only final he has managed to score in, but was anybody watching?
I agree he's somewhat of a flat-track bully, and Eto'o most certainly isn't.

However, it's a not entirely warranted reputation. And perhaps you don't recall that the 2003 Confed Cup was HUGE for France, coming as it did after their disastrous 2002 World Cup campaign. It was an enormously important tournament for them and the tournament was followed by a huge audience in France.

Unread 09-05-2007, 02:31 AM
DoubleJ

eto'o would be perfect for us, his ability is not in question, but not going to happen is it, they would want big money,

and trezuguet is a class player. his scoring record is superb for juve and has won a fair bit

Unread 09-05-2007, 02:36 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I agree he's somewhat of a flat-track bully, and Eto'o most certainly isn't.

However, it's a not entirely warranted reputation. And perhaps you don't recall that the 2003 Confed Cup was HUGE for France, coming as it did after their disastrous 2002 World Cup campaign. It was an enormously important tournament for them and the tournament was followed by a huge audience in France.
So France were bothered... nobody else was.

A bit like when one of the big sides takes the League Cup seriously and nobody else does. Last year some United fans tried to get excited about it, others merely harked back to the days when we could afford to treat it with contempt, and win big trophies instead.
Closed Thread