United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Who was the better stopper?
DDG 24 31.58%
Schmeichel 35 46.05%
VDS 17 22.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 18-10-2016, 02:53 PM
jem

schmeichel shouted a lot and made mistakes. de gea is like a ghost keeper. an agile cat ghost who cannot be beaten.

van der sar should have come 5 years earlier.

would take any one of them without worry.

Unread 18-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Never seen that before. Those cockney reds travelled up to the men in numbers didn't they

Unread 18-10-2016, 03:15 PM
BobJones

I never thought I'd see better than the Dane. But I think De Gea is as good as if not better already, frightening to think he could have another 10 years left at the highest level.

Unread 18-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones
I never thought I'd see better than the Dane. But I think De Gea is as good as if not better already, frightening to think he could have another 10 years left at the highest level.
yep, looking forward to seeing how many champions leagues he wins with madrid, tbh.

Unread 18-10-2016, 03:28 PM
sa7

All three absolutely astonishingly good goalkeepers.

It's all about personal preference but Edwin for me, purely for his mentality and persona. You could tell he was a massive influence about the place and had the respect of everybody, while combining it with the most calming effect I've ever seen any goalkeeper have on the rest of his team.

In big games, when it came on top, you always knew he was going to keep his head and work with his defence to make sure we didn't fold.

The Green Giant for me, all day long

Unread 18-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Pop

Schmeichel is the best I've seen so its a no-brainer, him. But I prefer VDS, nowhere near as big a @#%&! and a £#%&!ing brilliant keeper too. An all-time great.

De Gea can't be trusted around doughnuts so he can £#%&! off (the utterly magnificent bastard.)

Unread 18-10-2016, 03:38 PM
dunk

Probably VdS for me too tbh, should've been the man to replace Schmeichel, a great signing at £2.5m. Steady head, great feet, calm as £#%&!. Massive too

DdG is great, just lacks that front foot, coming off his line, sweeping up, dominating his area portion of the game. Doesn't necessarily boss his defence either, at least not to the same effect as the other 2..

1. VdS
2. Schmikes
3. DdG

Unread 18-10-2016, 04:01 PM
Mr_Ed

Tough one this...

Unread 18-10-2016, 04:08 PM
Bunker Buster

1. VDS - brilliant
2. DDG - getting better but only a good shot stopper currently.
3. Schmikes - Brilliant keeper, utter @#%&!

Unread 18-10-2016, 04:09 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
schmeichel is one of the greatest of all time. not arsed that he did a cartwheel once, he was immense for us and won us points on his own that won us trophies.
Three cartwheels. @#%&!. Him not you x.

Unread 18-10-2016, 04:29 PM
92ToBury

Unfair until Dave leaves us. Van Der Sar is my favourite just for the 2008 final shoot out but here's hoping De Gea surpasses that.

Unread 18-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Tiberian

Tough one, Schmeichel and De Gea are better shot stoppers than Van Der Sar, but his organization and reading of the game was above both. Schmeichel dominated the box and consistently made match changing saves, but was average at best with the ball at feet and made a surprising amount of shocking mistakes. De Gea routinely makes absurd saves and is great on the ball but probably the weakest of the 3 as an organizer.

Fence sitting

Unread 18-10-2016, 05:14 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolkred
The one moment of PS I always remember for some reason. Third Everton goal. A £#%&! up of monumental proportions. He can be excused for it, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGpApKsYHro
Given everything that happened subsequently, that just makes you a strange person tbh

That was the last time Everton won at OT before the Gollum reign of terror, btw.

Unread 18-10-2016, 05:23 PM
thatsfuctit

3 great keepers, and obvs DDG is still young and improving.

The great dane had an aura about him (not a literal one Jamie) that I don't think think i've ever seen another keeper have.

Unread 18-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Zorg

Loved Edwin's 'Hightower' goodbye speech.

Unread 18-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
3 great keepers, and obvs DDG is still young and improving.

The great dane had an aura about him (not a literal one Jamie) that I don't think think i've ever seen another keeper have.
Yep, and you can not underestimate the psychological impact of Schmeichel on the opposition. Stated that he made a lot of mistakes, and he did, but the major reason for that was how aggressive he was, he came for everything. There was a lot of long ball play at that time and Schmeichel could nullify it, loading the ball into the box knowing how quickly he could launch a counter with those missiles to the wings must have been a factor.

Unread 18-10-2016, 05:50 PM
Buck

Schmeichel - unique - very unorthodox and I don't remember seeing many keepers back then who would command the penalty box well whereas he was imperious on that front. The weakest of the three with the ball but that wasn't so important then and what he had in terms of pure goalkeeping he is the best I've seen.

Van der Sar was a leader by example and had a calmness and sharp mind. I actually much prefer his types (Buffon being another) than your Schmeichel/Oliver Khan mouthy, always on the edge and a fuse ready to blow (at times with their team mates let alone the opposition).

De Gea's shot stopping, athleticism and quick reactions are exceptional. His passing is also very good. He's the best in the world with 10-15 years to go in his career (). He'll retire as one of the greatest of all time and if the bulk of his career is at Utd he will be our greatest ever.

Unread 18-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Lok

I think many on here and underrating VDS. He was obviously fantastically calm and a good organiser but he was also a great shot stopper. Perhaps not on the same level as DDG but not a million miles away.

DDG will go on to be the best of the 3. He has everything. I just hope we're able to keep him for another 10 years.

Unread 18-10-2016, 06:13 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

De Gea can do things the others never could
schmeichel just dominated with his size,
van der sar was technically great, always in the right place
De Gea is techniclly near perfect and one of the best natural shot stoppers ive ever seen. He combines instinct and training to be almost unbeatable

Unread 18-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

DDG or PS.

VDS was good but I thought he could have done better with the Eto'o (09) and Messi (11) final goals
Closed Thread