United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-04-2010, 08:07 PM
BulgarianSpectator

About a decade ago I read a wonderful article about the West German F.A., who felt that something had to be done about the quality of coaching at the basic levels. The date: July 1966. Event that forced this: losing to England in extra time in the World Cup final. Remember this was a country that was still only 20 years old and was bankrupt at the time.

The "grass-roots" revolution (that Brooking now goes on about) was implemented in Germany by the Autumn of 1966. Soon, nobody was allowed to coach anyone - including school children - unless they had a UEFA licence. So 50,000 coaches had qualified by 1970 (England had less than 500). Every team learns the basics, and they learn to play in the same system all the time. German club teams are successful as soon as the first graduates of the new system reach adulthood. The national team follow suit and remain so for 20 years.

By comparison, England do £#%&! all, instead boasting that they had always been better than Johnnie Foreigner. Then they sack the manager when he fails to retain the World Cup years later with an aged squad. Every manager - and even the Chief Executives - have had their hands tied by more levels of bureaucracy and self-serving committees than any government could dream of. £20m couldn't be found to put a proper School of Excellence in place, but £770m was wasted on a national stadium that's not needed and generally despised. But let's not forget "2 World Wars and 1 World Cup". Come on you plucky Three Lions!.

Unread 12-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Milner

£28m

That would be £#%&!ing madness.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:20 PM
treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
I reckon Fergie will have one more season
I think he might have retired this summer if he had've won the European Cup AND won us our 19th title - with Jose stepping in (as he is obviously leaving this summer).

He won't leave until he wins that 19th title in my opinion and, if we don't do some serious spending in the summer, he may be here for another couple of years at least.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:23 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgarianSpectator
About a decade ago I read a wonderful article about the West German F.A., who felt that something had to be done about the quality of coaching at the basic levels. The date: July 1966. Event that forced this: losing to England in extra time in the World Cup final. Remember this was a country that was still only 20 years old and was bankrupt at the time.

The "grass-roots" revolution (that Brooking now goes on about) was implemented in Germany by the Autumn of 1966. Soon, nobody was allowed to coach anyone - including school children - unless they had a UEFA licence. So 50,000 coaches had qualified by 1970 (England had less than 500). Every team learns the basics, and they learn to play in the same system all the time. German club teams are successful as soon as the first graduates of the new system reach adulthood. The national team follow suit and remain so for 20 years.

By comparison, England do £#%&! all, instead boasting that they had always been better than Johnnie Foreigner. Then they sack the manager when he fails to retain the World Cup years later with an aged squad. Every manager - and even the Chief Executives - have had their hands tied by more levels of bureaucracy and self-serving committees than any government could dream of. £20m couldn't be found to put a proper School of Excellence in place, but £770m was wasted on a national stadium that's not needed and generally despised. But let's not forget "2 World Wars and 1 World Cup". Come on you plucky Three Lions!.
I agree with all of that tbh.

The coaching in this country is a joke imo.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:25 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by treme
I think he might have retired this summer if he had've won the European Cup AND won us our 19th title - with Jose stepping in (as he is obviously leaving this summer).

He won't leave until he wins that 19th title in my opinion and, if we don't do some serious spending in the summer, he may be here for another couple of years at least.
Got to hand it to the old sod that, even though he must be at the very least thinking about retirement at this stage, he is still investing in players that will serve the club (hopefully) well even after he is long gone. Buying Smalling and Henandez rather than a short term 2/3 years buy just so he can win a couple more trophies. Fair play.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:34 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:

Hello Koppas.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Hello Koppas.
he's really hidden that well hasn't he.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:40 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Why did he leave the forum as Koppas? I never found out why?

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:41 PM
treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Hello Koppas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Bugger. Was it that easy to spot?

To be fair, I wanted to come back as koppas but I forgot my password and the thing to get my password reset didn't work so here I am. I have even subscribed with this name so I am ad-free. Anyway, koppas is gone. Treme is here.

Carry on.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Sparky***

The link to your homepage under the username takes your through to your twitter page, lee.

Anyway, i've followed you on that.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:07 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Bugger. Was it that easy to spot?

To be fair, I wanted to come back as koppas but I forgot my password and the thing to get my password reset didn't work so here I am. I have even subscribed with this name so I am ad-free. Anyway, koppas is gone. Treme is here.

Carry on.
What made you leave and delete everyone on facebook anyway?

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:09 PM
treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed81
What made you leave and delete everyone on facebook anyway?
I'm not gonna lie, I saw my arse in a massive way - I'm man enough to admit it.

Out with the koppas and in with the treme.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:12 PM
safingtons

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1938662

Was wondering what on earth that was about.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:23 PM
red in cumbria

Welcome back mate
Closed Thread