United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 09-12-2015, 07:25 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Hate having to appreciate a bit of Paddy Barclay

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foot...-a3133246.html
Hate that bald @#%&!, but if an avid United hater such as him can see it, wtf is wrong with some of our fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I agree with your sentiments overall, but regardless of the factors you raise, we absolutely should have qualified from that group. Four points from CSKA is OK. Three points from Wolfsburg is OK. We could have done better, certainly, but under the circumstances I think those are acceptable results and largely in keeping with what one might expect. One point from PSV, on the other hand, is utterly pathetic. They're a very average side and we showed in both matches that we can completely outplay them. The players and the manager deserve to be beaten round the head with a tire iron for the way the team stopped playing in the home match. All that work to get back into the CL and they couldn't keep going for 90 minutes, when qualification was in touching distance? Infuriating, but also hugely perplexing.
Circumstances with PSV, Shaw in the first game, utterly £#%&!ed in the 2nd half of the 2nd leg. should and could've won both tbf, we were the better team in both.

Unread 09-12-2015, 07:28 PM
utd99

Quote:
People would have settled for challenging for the title this year. Which it's fairly likely we will.

Besides, it doesn't matter where we are now. You don't take stock of a season in early December. European exits have not stopped us recovering well in the past. Fail to properly challenge for the title and this season will certainly have been a failure.
We are currently 16 points off the pace of Fergie's last two years. He set the standards for this club, not Moyes. So unless our standards have dropped, then we are nowhere close to what we were even three short years ago, and playing mind numbing football in the process. So what bit are you happy with?

Unread 09-12-2015, 07:35 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
We are currently 16 points off the pace of Fergie's last two years. He set the standards for this club, not Moyes. So unless our standards have dropped, then we are nowhere close to what we were even three short years ago, and playing mind numbing football in the process. So what bit are you happy with?
Irrelevant, imo. Every league should be assessed on its own merits. Whatever issues cause the other English teams to struggle for consistency are presumably there for us, too. Surely we judge United against their rivals, rather than basically a different competition.

And our standards have dropped. That's what losing all your experience, a year of disaster under Moyes and a deliberate attempt to bring the age of the squad down will do. Why would you expect a team that finished last night's game with an outfield average age of 23 to perform the same as the one Fergie had, with Evra, Vidic, Fedinand, Van Persie and many others in their prime?

The only disappointment to me is the football, although there are mitigating circumstances with regard to personnel. Whenver Fergie oversaw a transitional period, the football, goals and performance suffered. I don't see why this team is not afforded the same courtesy.

Unread 09-12-2015, 07:36 PM
dunk

Quote:
Irrelevant, imo. Every league should be assessed on its own merits. Whatever issues cause the other English teams to struggle for consistency are presumably there for us, too. Surely we judge United against their rivals, rather than basically a different competition.

And our standards have dropped. That's what losing all your experience, a year of disaster under Moyes and a deliberate attempt to bring the age of the squad down will do. Why would you expect a team that finished last night's game with an outfield average age of 23 to perform the same as the one Fergie had, with Evra, Vidic, Fedinand, Van Persie and many others in their prime?

The only disappointment to me is the football, although there are mitigating circumstances with regard to personnel. Whenver Fergie oversaw a transitional period, the football, goals and performance suffered. I don't see why this team is not afford the same courtesy.
Nah, we would be 13 points clear if van Gaal wasn't shit

Unread 09-12-2015, 07:38 PM
jem

Quote:
People would have settled for challenging for the title this year. Which it's fairly likely we will.

Besides, it doesn't matter where we are now. You don't take stock of a season in early December. European exits have not stopped us recovering well in the past. Fail to properly challenge for the title and this season will certainly have been a failure.
Quote:
doesn't really matter that we are "challenging for the title" (we're not, by the way). we are shit to watch and the team selections are bizarre. like the last time we won the league. awful. soz.

Unread 09-12-2015, 07:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
doesn't really matter that we are "challenging for the title" (we're not, by the way). we are shit to watch and the team selections are bizarre. like the last time we won the league. awful. soz.
You thinking the team selections are bizarre because they don't have Valencia in midfield or something is not quite as relevant as us being one point behind Arsenal, with plenty of margin for improvement. Soz.

Unread 09-12-2015, 07:46 PM
utd99

Quote:
You thinking the team selections are bizarre because they don't have Valencia in midfield or something is not quite as relevant as us being one point behind Arsenal, with plenty of margin for improvement. Soz.
Plenty of margin for improvement is something we agree on completely. However, I would like to see something on the pitch to convince me it's going to come about, rather than just some example of past failures under a different regime that were eventually rectified. Mostl of what we are seeing on the field now is subpar.

Unread 09-12-2015, 07:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Plenty of margin for improvement is something we agree on completely. However, I would like to see something on the pitch to convince me it's going to come about, rather than just some example of past failures under a different regime that were eventually rectified. Mostl of what we are seeing on the field now is subpar.
We created lots of chances at the weekend and looked good going forward last night

If we carry that on and add one or two in Jan...

Unread 09-12-2015, 08:30 PM
jem

Quote:
well, yes... obvs you are going to see being shit as "having tremendous upside".

the only team that will actually improve is city.

Unread 10-12-2015, 12:06 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Feel sorry for his wife in the morning when she has to scrub the skid marks
ffs

Unread 10-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Zorg

I get that it's a rebuilding job. But does it have to be quite so dull?

Unread 10-12-2015, 12:11 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I get that it's a rebuilding job. But does it have to be quite so dull?
We still on about this toilet I've just demolished?

Unread 10-12-2015, 12:14 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Yes.

Unread 10-12-2015, 12:14 AM
Ethers

Quote:

Unread 10-12-2015, 12:16 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Yes.
Ok pal. I've just left it. The turds have been flushed but there's a 16 lane highway down the bottom. They have a toilet brush but I've pretended I haven't seen it.

Dabbed my hoop with a wet wipe to cool it down. Feel better now

Unread 10-12-2015, 12:21 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Ok pal. I've just left it. The turds have been flushed but there's a 16 lane highway down the bottom. They have a toilet brush but I've pretended I haven't seen it.

Always the best way.

Unread 10-12-2015, 12:29 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:

You sure it's not a railway?

Unread 10-12-2015, 12:35 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Superb

Unread 10-12-2015, 12:46 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
All the same in this house pal

Unread 10-12-2015, 03:54 AM
dragflick

Quote:
All the same in this house pal
A house that's not quite as good as it could have been?