United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-02-2016, 06:32 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
No you're right. I should have made sure my every second post was wetting my pants over man city instead.

lt.
Just thought you might find your misplaced arrogance humbling. Obviously not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yep. If we take 'biggest' to encapsulate what we all think it means, City won't become bigger than United. But that doesn't matter much. What they can do is become an elite club, which is a status that Chelsea have shown can be bought. For most foreign players, Chelsea are seen as a European 'superclub' and can go toe to toe with us for a player. Despite their non-history and shitty ground.

Obviously older generations of fans and followers of the sport don't see them in that way, but it hardly matters when attracting 20-year-old footballers or managers who are looking to earn a wedge and give themselves the best chance of boosting their CV.
This is the point that I think billy was trying to make and you perhaps missed?

Unread 02-02-2016, 06:33 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

It's a long thread, tbf.

Unread 02-02-2016, 06:36 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Yep. If we take 'biggest' to encapsulate what we all think it means, City won't become bigger than United. But that doesn't matter much. What they can do is become an elite club, which is a status that Chelsea have shown can be bought. For most foreign players, Chelsea are seen as a European 'superclub' and can go toe to toe with us for a player. Despite their non-history and shitty ground.

Obviously older generations of fans and followers of the sport don't see them in that way, but it hardly matters when attracting 20-year-old footballers or managers who are looking to earn a wedge and give themselves the best chance of boosting their CV.
That's the point though isn't it? Look at redissues from 2005-06 and it's full of bedwetters proclaiming the end of United as a force, Chelsea unstoppable etc. They even stole our CEO and transfer targets and were still less successful over the next decade ffs.

Unread 02-02-2016, 06:37 PM
S/Side.Red

edit - I did read Billy's post. I meant to add that I don't think they're bigger in any context, but now they're seen as an elite club the difference is minimal. Perhaps if we're champions we're a bigger pull than them when they're champions. But otherwise it's fairly level.

Unread 02-02-2016, 06:39 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

Misplaced arrogance or just taking the piss out of city on a united forum?

So let me apologise now to you keith for taking the piss out of man city's managerial heritage.

Unread 02-02-2016, 06:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Misplaced arrogance or just taking the piss out of city on a united forum?

So let me apologise now to you keith for taking the piss out of man city's managerial heritage.
Keith does seem to take very very seriously people not taking City seriously. Good shout.

Unread 02-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Serenity Now

Huge coup for City, unfortunately. Not just a fantastic manager, but also the one appointment capable of single-handedly raising their profile and status in the game to anything like this extent. They still need to rebuild their defence and midfield, even more so if they're going to be capable of playing the kind of football Guardiola wants, but with him in place they're very well positioned to do that: now the most attractive club in English football for prospective signings.

They also appear to be making the right kind of moves to ensure that their success can be sustained: sixth highest revenues in world football, even before the new TV deal kicks in, recruitment of former key staff from Barca like Begiristain, Soriano, and Borrell, massive (ahem) investment in their academy, world class training facilities, stadium expansion.

Still, I have every confidence that Big Ed Woodward and Joel Glazer are, as we speak, developing a comprehensive long-term football strategy to re-establish United as the dominant club in English football

Unread 02-02-2016, 07:09 PM
irk

Quote:
Or if you've completely let yourself go.
are we still talking about united or have you been talking to my mrs?

Unread 02-02-2016, 07:18 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Huge coup for City, unfortunately. Not just a fantastic manager, but also the one appointment capable of single-handedly raising their profile and status in the game to anything like this extent. They still need to rebuild their defence and midfield, even more so if they're going to be capable of playing the kind of football Guardiola wants, but with him in place they're very well positioned to do that: now the most attractive club in English football for prospective signings.

They also appear to be making the right kind of moves to ensure that their success can be sustained: sixth highest revenues in world football, even before the new TV deal kicks in, recruitment of former key staff from Barca like Begiristain, Soriano, and Borrell, massive (ahem) investment in their academy, world class training facilities, stadium expansion.

Still, I have every confidence that Big Ed Woodward and Joel Glazer are, as we speak, developing a comprehensive long-term football strategy to re-establish United as the dominant club in English football
State.

Bedwetter

Etc

Quote:
Keith does seem to take very very seriously people not taking City seriously. Good shout.
Hang on - his post was in response to one of mine saying pep will be at city. His response was yeah, I can really see pep joining the likes of Mel machin Forgive me for pointing out his error which when I did so, was very light hearted. Not my fault he's gone a bit serious on me.

The bit about taking city seriously is one I have banged on about a lot, I admit. pretty much because most of our fans are blissfully ignorant and likewise the club.

I fear they should and now will wake up a bit and I think we fans should pressure the club into investment, academy, structure the lot.

Not sure how we do that but people recognising the issues is a decent starting point imv.

i will give it a rest now though. Promise.

Unread 02-02-2016, 07:59 PM
red in cumbria

We should pressurise the suits over such things irrespective of what other clubs do. But yeah.

Unread 02-02-2016, 08:20 PM
MagnificentSeven

for all the bedwetting on here, the harsh reality is that city have been on a different level to us for about three years now.

will city dominate english football under him, or will he flop? who knows? one thing that's certain is that this is going to be his biggest challenge in his career. his barca and bayern teams had already won the champions league not long before he arrived and were there or thereabouts with the right players. city on the other hand have yet to go far in europe, and have slightly regressed since their 2014 title.

what's most important from the perspective of united fans is how we respond to this. our direct crosstown rivals have just brought in a manager who has won a lot of trophies in recent years. do we give van gaal more time because we're not a sacking club and endure more of his dated methods, or do we bring in someone else who has won a fair few trophies in recent years? someone who has previous experience of knocking guardiola off his perch? who could be the man for that, i wonder?

Unread 02-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
for all the bedwetting on here, the harsh reality is that city have been on a different level to us for about three years now.

will city dominate english football under him, or will he flop? who knows? one thing that's certain is that this is going to be his biggest challenge in his career. his barca and bayern teams had already won the champions league not long before he arrived and were there or thereabouts with the right players. city on the other hand have yet to go far in europe, and have slightly regressed since their 2014 title.

what's most important from the perspective of united fans is how we respond to this. our direct crosstown rivals have just brought in a manager who has won a lot of trophies in recent years. do we give van gaal more time because we're not a sacking club and endure more of his dated methods, or do we bring in someone else who has won a fair few trophies in recent years? someone who has previous experience of knocking guardiola off his perch? who could be the man for that, i wonder?
There is only one....

Unread 02-02-2016, 08:24 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
do we give van gaal more time because we're not a sacking club and endure more of his dated methods, or do we bring in someone else who has won a fair few trophies in recent years? someone who has previous experience of knocking guardiola off his perch? who could be the man for that, i wonder?
Of course, neither. We will wait until the summer and then SAF and Bob will get their wish - Giggs because "it is the United way".

Unread 02-02-2016, 08:42 PM
TheFatGoth

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/foo...-Jose-Mourinho

Unread 02-02-2016, 09:19 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
your point is ?

Unread 02-02-2016, 11:45 PM
Iron Fist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
What did Hazard do last season? Player of the year, oh...

What did Chelsea do? Cruised to the title playing football better than anything lvg has produced for 6 years.

Mourinho is the arch pragmatist, but his football would not have you HATING the game the way some of our 0-0s in the autumn did or our pathetic surrenders to Norwich and bloody Stoke did.

We cannot appoint Mourinho to play 'good football' but his football is actually going to be an improvement on this shit. We need Mourinho for his leadership, drive and passion. We need Mourinho for his defensive organisation. People seriously underestimate how £#%&!ed the club is atm. Klopp to Liverpool and Pep to City under Woodwards watch. Alarm bells officially ringing for me now.

Thanks for confirming you hate the club. Liu was right about you.
let's just ignore last season.

Unread 04-02-2016, 08:26 AM
djsst

Quote:
Manchester City’s confirmation that Pep Guardiola will arrive in the summer is one of the most significant moments in the history of English football. This slim-hipped serial collector of silverware and tactical visionary will lift standards at the Etihad and across the country.

But this is more than a club story. The advent of Guardiola is of great import for English football generally. This is an opportunity to learn and improve, not just for City. For England too. His media briefings could become like the Reith Lectures. If England falter in this summer’s European Championships in France, Guardiola will be grilled at his weekly press conference about how he would have waved his wand over the beleaguered land that invented football but forgot how to play it.

He will doubtless talk about the need for a winter break, for more intelligence in possession, for more tactical flexibility, for more pressing. Klopp and Van Gaal have entered the madhouse of English football and made some wise comments, particularly about the workload on players, and the lack of time for actually coaching their sides. The authorities, and the media, might really listen if the world’s No 1 head coach voices his views on the flaws in the English system as well.

The FA should seize any opportunity to pick Guardiola’s brains, to invite him to St George’s Park. A frisson of excitement will also go through those studying for their coaching badges at the FA’s National Football Centre: the world’s most admired coach is on their door-step, has chosen the Premier League as his place of work. Queues to watch training at the City Football Academy will stretch around the M60. English football is about to be visited, for three years, by a footballing prophet and everyone can benefit.

£#%&!ing hell .

Unread 04-02-2016, 08:31 AM
irk

Henry winter is quite the giddy @#%&! isn't he?

"Slim hipped"? Ffs. Those public school habits cannot be shaken.

Unread 04-02-2016, 08:51 AM
Red Al

Still nothing said about binning a manager half way through the season while he's chasing 4 trophies and has already won them the league
While we got shit for sacking Moyes

Unread 04-02-2016, 08:56 AM
Cream

Slim brained.
Closed Thread