United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-12-2016, 01:52 AM
forzagarza

Default Ron Atkinson

Just seen a clip from MUTV and they had big ron on today. Thought he had disappeared from TV for good tbh. Does anyone know if he's been on before or anything else? Expected him to look older as well

Unread 12-12-2016, 02:44 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Just seen a clip from MUTV and they had big ron on today. Thought he had disappeared from TV for good tbh. Does anyone know if he's been on before or anything else? Expected him to look older as well
I think he's on most weeks.

Unread 12-12-2016, 02:58 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Big Ron's Big Night is a good watch. Happy memories. No prize for guessing which game

Unread 12-12-2016, 07:50 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Big Ron's Big Night is a good watch. Happy memories. No prize for guessing which game
Is it the kkk v civil rights protesters?

Unread 12-12-2016, 08:00 AM
AK14

He's on there quite regularly and is still good

I was like you when I first saw him on there, I was shocked at how he hasn't aged much

Unread 12-12-2016, 11:51 AM
elephantstone

he was on the radio teh other week for an hour and he was superb. He's 77 but he is as sharp as ever.

Hopefully someone will buy me the book this Christmas

Unread 12-12-2016, 12:17 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
he was on the radio teh other week for an hour and he was superb. He's 77 but he is as sharp as ever.

Hopefully someone will buy me the book this Christmas
77!

Doesn't look a day over 76 tbf.

Unread 12-12-2016, 12:17 PM
doudou

to be fair he's probably no more racist than most of the people on Question Time

Unread 12-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
to be fair he's probably no more racist than most of the people on Question Time
Was he really racist though?

Serious question.

Is using the 'n' word conclusive proof of being a racist?

I'm not sure - and things shouldn't be black and white (no pun intended).

Post Brexit/Trump I think we need to not be so harsh on people - educate them for sure, but not condemn them with the worst thing possible in our current mindset.

Unread 12-12-2016, 02:08 PM
forzagarza

I was thn thinking that earlier and either way it lets him down considering he was directly responsible for fielding many black players before others did. But if you're in a tv studio then what the £#%&!? Even though it was an ad break in the U.K. (I think) you just wouldn't. Obv there's different levels of racism but you can't deny what's he did isn't

Unread 12-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Ethers

He probably isn't racist, but if you go around using the phrase "lazy ******" you can't exactly be surprised when people ask the question, and it's quite right he was sacked for it.

Unread 12-12-2016, 02:17 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
Was he really racist though?

Serious question.

Is using the 'n' word conclusive proof of being a racist?

I'm not sure - and things shouldn't be black and white (no pun intended).

Post Brexit/Trump I think we need to not be so harsh on people - educate them for sure, but not condemn them with the worst thing possible in our current mindset.
serious answer:

If you use the N-word in a casual context like that (he thought his mic. was off) you're a racist. Yes he's worked with loads of black players but I'm sorry you just can't say stuff like that. It's unacceptable.

Unread 12-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
I was thn thinking that earlier and either way it lets him down considering he was directly responsible for fielding many black players before others did. But if you're in a tv studio then what the £#%&!? Even though it was an ad break in the U.K. (I think) you just wouldn't. Obv there's different levels of racism but you can't deny what's he did isn't
Same here honky, I remember seeing Cunningham, Regis and Batson at WBA during a city game (Dad took me to city one week, United the other) and it was thrilling to see them. I'd never seen a black fella apart from someone in Trafford Park working in a warehouse.

What he said was so stupid though - completely agree - and he has paid the price but yeah, very unprofessional either road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
serious answer:

If you use the N-word in a casual context like that (he though his mic. was off) you're a racist. Yes he's worked with lads of black players but I'm sorry you just can't say stuff like that. It's unacceptable.
Yeah - I completely agree it's unacceptable but I'm not sure he's a racist. I reckon he'd have insulting words for most people and alpha males will have that ruthless, bitchy side. Look at Ginners.

I just wish he had been educated better on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
He probably isn't racist, but if you go around using the phrase "lazy ******" you can't exactly be surprised when people ask the question, and it's quite right he was sacked for it.
Yeah, it was very unprofessional.

Unread 12-12-2016, 02:23 PM
puressence

remember him nailing his current wife she was a hairdresser from middy .. press all over the gaff piss funny

Unread 12-12-2016, 04:05 PM
Billy Redface

Context: using his race as part of an insult.

Not good, Ron. Not good.

Unread 12-12-2016, 04:25 PM
ZiggyStardust

He deserved to sacked but certainly should be given the opportunity to get back into broadcasting

Big Ron, ITV and European nights in the 90s
Special times

Unread 12-12-2016, 04:27 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
He deserved to sacked but certainly should be given the opportunity to get back into broadcasting

Special times
He was a £#%&!sight better than Hoddle and Townsend I'll give you that. The daft old racist.

Unread 12-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust

Special times
Coined the immortal phrase "give it the eyebrows"

Unread 12-12-2016, 04:32 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Coined the immortal phrase "give it the eyebrows"
Loved a lollipop too

Big Ron was Champions League, just wasn't a big game without him

Unread 12-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Loved a lollipop too

Big Ron was Champions League, just wasn't a big game without him
This.

He has done the time for his crime - are we not about rehabilitation in thsi country? Can a brother (I've been watching Lost and am talking like Desmond the white guy) not get a second shot brother?

It's Christmas - I want to see Big Ron bigging up Rashford against Saint Etienne.

#BigRonMatter
Closed Thread