United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-12-2009, 11:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Default Re: Gabrielle £#%&!ing Macaroni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
It was because of pearls of wisdom like that (and that scouse @#%&! journalist, Tony something) that I binned that podcast, Guardian podcast shits all over it tbh.
Agreed. I like the idea of the Times one, where they spend a much longer time debating the major subjects, but Marcotti has always struggled with being objective as a pundit and he seems to write the script/dictate a lot of the conversation for the Times pod. So it ends up being quite predictable. He also clearly dislikes United, which doesn't help.

Unread 08-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Harfynn Teuport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
You won't be surprised to learn that said Scouse @#%&! has been conspicuous by his absence this season.
Tony Evans. I think he became too much even for them. Inarticulate bitter @#%&!. There was also a female scouse supporting journalist on there who had also taken her refereeing badges and came out with some unbelievable garbage.

Unread 08-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harfynn Teuport
Tony Evans. I think he became too much even for them. Inarticulate bitter @#%&!. There was also a female scouse supporting journalist on there who had also taken her refereeing badges and came out with some unbelievable garbage.
I think it's more due to the fact that he is keeping a low profile this year after spouting all that "This is our year" %@#$&!s pre-season.

I remember the woman you are on about. A highlight for her was when she insisted that Fletcher deserved his red-card in the semi-final against Arsenal and cited the fact that she was a qualified ref to support her view.

Unread 08-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Is it still like a Liverpool FC podcast at times?
Not too much Scouse talk these days, seeing as they are £#%&!ing shite.

But it is just as reactionary as ever. Last week Chelsea were unstoppable and it was just a matter of whether they would have the title tied up by Boxing Day.

This week it was about how amazing city are, after beating Arsenal reserves and Chelsea at home.

A few weeks back it was talk of how Arsenal were going to be Chelsea's main title rivals, etc, etc, etc.

I only listen to pass the time at work, and to fuel the United siege mentality.

Unread 09-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Agreed. I like the idea of the Times one, where they spend a much longer time debating the major subjects, but Marcotti has always struggled with being objective as a pundit and he seems to write the script/dictate a lot of the conversation for the Times pod. So it ends up being quite predictable. He also clearly dislikes United, which doesn't help.
Funny, I dont listen to that podcast mainly because I think Jupitus is a bit of a #@&%!, and because Marcotti and Barclay are so pretentious.

However back in the day on Talksport, Marcotti always bigged up United, and it was was clear he was a big fan of Fergie. It was normally Adrian Durham who would try to belittle us.

Agendas at work?

Unread 09-12-2009, 01:02 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
Funny, I dont listen to that podcast mainly because I think Jupitus is a bit of a #@&%!, and because Marcotti and Barclay are so pretentious.

However back in the day on Talksport, Marcotti always bigged up United, and it was was clear he was a big fan of Fergie. It was normally Adrian Durham who would try to belittle us.

Agendas at work?
Never really listened to TalkSport much, but I always got the impression that the pundits were encouraged to disagree with each other on pretty much anything possible. Given the probable anti-United themes often set, Marcotti would more than likely have had to fight our cause from time to time. Or maybe, being a Chelsea fan, he was far more comfortable with us when we were also-rans to Mourinho's side.

Unread 09-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Never really listened to TalkSport much, but I always got the impression that the pundits were encouraged to disagree with each other on pretty much anything possible. Given the probable anti-United themes often set, Marcotti would more than likely have had to fight our cause from time to time. Or maybe, being a Chelsea fan, he was far more comfortable with us when we were also-rans to Mourinho's side.
He knows a lot bout the game in terms of history, but it seems his 'fame' has gone to his a la Phil Brown.

I remember one ocassion where he was making an argument on the radio, and he slipped in the fact that he lives nearby a Ferrari garage. It was so obvious what he was trying to get across, even the presenter at the time made a sly dig at him. Other times he would mention the fact that he leaves near Stamford Bridge so people knew he lived in Chelsea - even though there are some flats around that area that arent really that great.

Unread 09-12-2009, 06:01 AM
borsuk

there's a whole slew of pundits in the media who offer nothing other than their own opinions, based on nothing more than they watched a game, often on tv.

i respect the likes of hanson, gullit and souness because they clearly know what they're talking about and can tell me things i don't know. on the other hand, i've never heard a single thing from barclay, marcotti, alan green, sean ingle etc etc that i didn't either already know or couldn't find out with one minute on google.

90% of the pundits on tv are just blokes paid to spout their own opinions without any expertise or experience that a fan doesn't have and their continued existence in the media depends on their being (a) provocative and (b) popular. since the overwhelming majority of football fans are not united fans the pundits end up slagging us off. add in their own preferences and the fact fergie refuses to treat them as anything other than idiots who happen to have a media platform for their idiocy and you get what you get.

nice work if you can get it, i suppose.

Unread 09-12-2009, 08:55 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
there's a whole slew of pundits in the media who offer nothing other than their own opinions, based on nothing more than they watched a game, often on tv.

i respect the likes of hanson, gullit and souness because they clearly know what they're talking about and can tell me things i don't know. on the other hand, i've never heard a single thing from barclay, marcotti, alan green, sean ingle etc etc that i didn't either already know or couldn't find out with one minute on google.

90% of the pundits on tv are just blokes paid to spout their own opinions without any expertise or experience that a fan doesn't have and their continued existence in the media depends on their being (a) provocative and (b) popular. since the overwhelming majority of football fans are not united fans the pundits end up slagging us off. add in their own preferences and the fact fergie refuses to treat them as anything other than idiots who happen to have a media platform for their idiocy and you get what you get.

As much as he's become increasingly irritating to listen to, I think Marcotti is far from the worst around, although that's mainly because the standard of sports journalism and punditry is so bad. MOTD's analysis is utterly tedious and Sky's studio coverage of the Champions League is just shockingly bad.

Unread 09-12-2009, 01:13 PM
borsuk

Quote:
As much as he's become increasingly irritating to listen to, I think Marcotti is far from the worst around, although that's mainly because the standard of sports journalism and punditry is so bad. MOTD's analysis is utterly tedious and Sky's studio coverage of the Champions League is just shockingly bad.
thankfully i don't watch any of them

i can only judge from the newspapers and podcasts. there are some decent football writers around - i like ashdown, honigstein and ronay from the guardian, for example. but they actually do research and provide some insight on the basis of it which is interesting. the likes of marcotti are just getting paid for spouting off like some taxi driver.

over here the coverage is generally far better in the studios. they have a couple of pretty successful and articulate ex-national team managers doing the video analysis thing (jacek gmoch and jerzy engel) and usually an ex- or current player who has played with or against one or both of the teams involved in the match. the only really annoying thing is when it's a champions league game and they wheel out a celebrity 'fan' of one of the teams (i.e. a b-list has been desperate enough to get on telly to pretend they're a diehard porto fan).

Unread 09-12-2009, 01:23 PM
florentino ariza

Quote:

ahem

Unread 09-12-2009, 01:36 PM
signed dc

Quote:

mmmbop was good

Unread 09-12-2009, 06:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
thankfully i don't watch any of them

i can only judge from the newspapers and podcasts. there are some decent football writers around - i like ashdown, honigstein and ronay from the guardian, for example. but they actually do research and provide some insight on the basis of it which is interesting. the likes of marcotti are just getting paid for spouting off like some taxi driver.
Do you ever hear Tim Vickery on the BBC's World Football podcast? He's very good at what he does. Great understanding of the game and interesting to listen to on pretty much any aspect of football. Jonathan Wilson is another decent one from the Guardian. They're few and far between, though.

Unread 09-12-2009, 06:59 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Do you ever hear Tim Vickery on the BBC's World Football podcast? He's very good at what he does. Great understanding of the game and interesting to listen to on pretty much any aspect of football. Jonathan Wilson is another decent one from the Guardian. They're few and far between, though.
yep both of them are good. that brazilian shirt name crap is irritating though

i think there's a good dozen or so posters on here who offer more coherent, informed and cogent comments on football than 90% of pundits in the media. yourself, tiberian, serenity, whalefish, return of jc, billy baroo (rip) and a fair few others.

Unread 09-12-2009, 07:01 PM
ralph

Quote:

i think there's a good dozen or so posters on here who offer more coherent, informed and cogent comments on football than 90% of pundits in the media. yourself, tiberian, serenity, whalefish, return of jc, billy baroo (rip) and a fair few others.
Tiberian is the master of punditry, always spot on.

Unread 09-12-2009, 07:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
The 'banter' is £#%&!ing woeful, tbh

Unread 09-12-2009, 07:41 PM
florentino ariza

Quote:

you're having a laugh?

did you read that post about anderson at villa 2 years ago?

Unread 09-12-2009, 07:43 PM
koppas

Quote:
*ahem*

Unread 09-12-2009, 08:02 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by florentino ariza
you're having a laugh?

did you read that post about anderson at villa 2 years ago?
er, yeah... of course... got it bookmarked...

koppas, you're just included without mentioning. to obvious to bother typing tbh.

Unread 09-12-2009, 08:04 PM
rebelcountyred

Thumbs up Re: Gabrielle £#%&!ing Macaroni

i only listen to paddy crerand
Closed Thread