United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-08-2007, 12:10 AM
POIUYTREWQ

Hmmm. I'll play the @#%&! then.

I thought Brown was absolute dogshite, Giggs was no better and if that was Tevez - 7 performance then he isnt as good as I thought he was.

It was the same story as sunday IMO, no centre forward and nothing on the bench. When we get everyone back we are the best team in the league, but I cant help but think this pre-season has been a balls up.

Unread 16-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Whalefish

I'm kind of hoping Fergie comes out and says Saha or Ole will be involved on Sunday.

There were one or two chances second half that either would have buried.

New signings were promising, and have been. Just hope Hargreaves gets a game soon and frees up Scholes (if he starts) and Anderson gets a chance too.

Unread 16-08-2007, 12:14 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by POIUYTREWQ
I thought Brown was absolute dogshite, Giggs was no better and if that was Tevez - 7 performance then he isnt as good as I thought he was.
Taking into account he was asked to play as a lone striker (Giggs wasn't exactly up to much) in his first ever game for United, with no pre-season games under his belt, I thought he did quite well.

Unread 16-08-2007, 12:16 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Great clearance by Evra that. He showed fantastic anticipation to get into the right position, and if he hadn't made the clearance it would have been a goal for sure. Could easily have ended with an own goal as well. Thought he had an excellent match really, could have done with a right footed clone of him!

Overall, for me, we definitely did enough to win, much more so than against Reading - a match we could very easily have won as well. If Rooney and Ronaldo weren't out I'd actually be feeling quite positive.

It's just such a £#%&!ing shame that our two most potent attacking threats are now out at the same time. And with Saha not back yet either. Bah.
Evra was brilliant. Great to see him playing in his natural position. I thought he linked well with Nani too.

We really need Saha to play some part on Sunday. After being out for so long it's unlikely he'll be at his best. But even if we can get a half out of him, I'd be pleased.

Scholes looked much better today. Plenty of life in the Prince yet

Unread 16-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
Wes switched off and forgot where he was and what he was supposed to be doing? Getaway.

The lad is a £#%&!ing liability at times.
If it was Silvestre . . .

Unread 16-08-2007, 12:23 AM
POIUYTREWQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Taking into account he was asked to play as a lone striker (Giggs wasn't exactly up to much) in his first ever game for United, with no pre-season games under his belt, I thought he did quite well.
Fair point regarding Tevez, though I do think it'll be a month before we see the sharpness in his play that we saw at the back end of last year for West Aaaam.

I'm not the knee jerk type but I'm getting concerned by Giggs. If he isnt a winger and his successful foray into central midfield has been consigned to the dustbin by Anderson & Hargreaves arrival then I dont see a role for him. He has looked woeful as a striker considering he has had a full pre-season and he didnt look like he could perform there when Fergie 1st tried him in the the role when when he was 12yrs younger.

Or maybe I'm just spooked because I'm not confident for the derby...

Unread 16-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Evra was brilliant. Great to see him playing in his natural position. I thought he linked well with Nani too.

We really need Saha to play some part on Sunday. After being out for so long it's unlikely he'll be at his best. But even if we can get a half out of him, I'd be pleased.

Scholes looked much better today. Plenty of like in the Prince yet
When you consider how dangerous we looked on the left flank versus the right, it does illustrate again the importance of attacking fullbacks to our system. It's so much harder to defend against a winger when there is a fullback who is willing and able to make quick penetrating runs from deep positions.

Unfortunately, Wes's attacking play actually seems to be getting worse, if anything. And he didn't exactly make up for his weakness going forward with a strong defensive performance, I thought he was very poor in that regard as well.

Agree on Scholes. Thought his all-round game was excellent, and the goal was just superbly taken. Good to see.

Unread 16-08-2007, 12:39 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Unfortunately, Wes's attacking play actually seems to be getting worse, if anything. And he didn't exactly make up for his weakness going forward with a strong defensive performance, I thought he was very poor in that regard as well.
Yea. I'd like to see the young lad Simpson given a go at RB, although throwing him in for the Derby probably isn't wise. Like you say, I could at least tolerate Brown at RB if his defensive work was to a high standard. Tonight, that just wasn't the case.

Unread 16-08-2007, 12:41 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
When you consider how dangerous we looked on the left flank versus the right, it does illustrate again the importance of attacking fullbacks to our system. It's so much harder to defend against a winger when there is a fullback who is willing and able to make quick penetrating runs from deep positions.
I don't think this point can be stressed enough. I've banged on about it for ages, particularly last season when people were debating whether Evra or Heinze should start as left back. When Evra and Neville were both out injured at the end of last season we played some of the worst football of the season and couldn't get our flow going in order to break teams down.

With Evra and Neville we have two fantastic full backs who can operate extremely well defensively and going forward. Unfortunately, we don't have any backup full backs who can offer anything like the same thing and that really affects us. A full back who can play right or left and gets forward well would be an ideal signing for us. I can't think of anyone though.

Unread 16-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Darth Vidic

People criticise brown but dont want to give simpson a go either

Unread 16-08-2007, 01:58 AM
JakeB

I say it all the time and I stick by it. Wes Brown scares me shitless, and he's getting worse. I know he's popular on here, but thats how I see him.

Rest of the team played well, except Carrick and Giggs, both average.

Unread 16-08-2007, 11:15 AM
BarryX

Tevez was born to wear the shirt, and under the circumstances thought it was a very solid start for my argentinian half-sibbling. He created the goal (passed it out wide, met the return cross and laid off fantastically for Scholes), got into scoring positions and was unlucky not to net the winner. Also loved the way he tracked back to chip in with a sliding tackle.

He will be awesome when he is fully fit and his passion will make him a legend.

Unread 16-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Tincanstretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
Tevez was born to wear the shirt, and under the circumstances thought it was a very solid start for my argentinian half-sibbling. He created the goal (passed it out wide, met the return cross and laid off fantastically for Scholes), got into scoring positions and was unlucky not to net the winner. Also loved the way he tracked back to chip in with a sliding tackle.

He will be awesome when he is fully fit and his passion will make him a legend.
agree. He looked a United player through and through. We all know how talented he is and how good when fit, etc he'll be, but his attitude last night was top class.
Closed Thread