United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-04-2018, 08:08 PM
saffers

Default Rafael: "Van Gaal killed my love for United"

Just wow, no wonder the players stopped playing for him around 2015....

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/...lks-to-espn-fc

Rafael spent nearly eight years at Old Trafford and became a fan favourite under Sir Alex Ferguson. While he's happy playing for Olympique Lyonnais, whom he joined in 2015, his eyes tighten and his head begins to shake when he talks of life under Louis van Gaal.

"When it was announced that Van Gaal was taking over, four or five people, including players, called me to say that he doesn't like Brazilian players," Rafael told ESPN. "They pointed out what had happened with Rivaldo at Barcelona, but I didn't believe it."

After Van Gaal took charge in 2014, Rafael started six straight Premier League games between September and October, but following an injury that kept him out for two months, he would make Van Gaal's starting lineup just once more, for an FA Cup tie at Yeovil the following January. Another injury meant he was substituted at half-time.

"In his first season, Van Gaal called me to his office and said: 'You can leave,'" Rafael said. "The meeting lasted one minute. That was it: 'You can leave.' It took time for me to go, but I was desperate to leave when I did, and that saddens me because I loved everything about Manchester United.

"Van Gaal is not a bad coach, but I didn't like his character," Rafael said. "One day, I was in the canteen waiting to eat. Van Gaal used to speak to us after we'd eaten each day. I had a head injury after a game at Yeovil -- one of the few games I played in that season -- and I was touching my injury. After three or four seconds, he touched my head and said: 'Why don't you respect me?' (WTF )

"I stood up and said: 'I always respect you. I've never said anything which was disrespectful to you.' I am a patient guy, but I got angry then. I had done nothing wrong. Antonio [Valencia] later said to me: 'You're not going to play again.' Players didn't speak back to Van Gaal. Antonio was almost right; I barely played again. I love Manchester United, but I was so desperate to leave United. Only one man did that because I liked everything about the place. I couldn't handle him anymore." ()

more:

Then Van Gaal arrived, which marked the beginning of the end for Rafael at United. Three days after he left for Lyon in August 2015, he received a message.

"Van Gaal texted me to say: 'You know how football is.' I couldn't believe it. He didn't speak to me and then texted me to wish me well."

Did he reply?

"I did. I said: 'Thank you.' I was being polite. But I was angry".
------

Real shame we lost this lad, would be our starting RB these days had he stayed.

Unread 18-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Ethers

He’s not even been Lyon’s starting RB this season, so that’s a bit of a stretch. Hardly a typical Mourinho player either?

Nice to see you back on here btw, must have been a tough few days.

Unread 18-04-2018, 08:14 PM
BarryX

Massive mistake letting him go. Should have kept Fabio for longer, too . Not enough characters of their ilk around the club anymore.

Unread 18-04-2018, 08:15 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
He’s not even been Lyon’s starting RB this season, so that’s a bit of a stretch. Hardly a typical Mourinho player either?

Honestly didn't bother me that Ciddy won the league. Deserved winners. We did our job at the emptyhad the other week. Full focus on Spurs now.

Rafael coulda been a Mou project.

Unread 18-04-2018, 08:38 PM
AK14

Quote:

You seem bothered when people don’t log on for a few days? Jokes

Unread 18-04-2018, 08:39 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
You seem bothered when people don’t log on for a few days?

Unread 18-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Tiberian

Saffers trying to make me cry, and Rafael has been back starting over the llast month or so.

Unread 18-04-2018, 08:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Miss Rafffers tbh

Unread 18-04-2018, 08:45 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
You seem bothered when people don’t log on for a few days? Jokes
Not at all pal, if I was bothered I’d spend all day mentioning it like you?!

Genuinely pleased to see Saffers back, I don’t agree with everything he says but he’s a valuable forum member who’s missed when he doesn’t post.

Unlike certain nothing posters.....

saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Saffers trying to make me cry, and Rafael has been back starting over the llast month or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Miss Rafffers tbh

windy waffles

Bring him home.

AK14

Quote:
Not at all pal, if I was bothered I’d spend all day mentioning it like you?!

Genuinely pleased to see Saffers back, I don’t agree with everything he says but he’s a valuable forum member who’s missed when he doesn’t post.

Unlike certain nothing posters.....
So rattled

Unread 18-04-2018, 08:47 PM
saffers

Quote:

Thanks bro

Unread 18-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
He has started regularly the last few games tbf, Tete has done so for most of the season though. Same story really, Rafael far better going forward but Tete is a bit more solid defensively.

Lyon have as good as signed Dubois from Nantes in that position for next season though, so there’s talk of Rafael moving on.

Unread 18-04-2018, 09:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Mou would have despised the lad btw. Imagine the monthly fitness breakdowns.

Mittin is a bit of a stirrer isn't he? Didn't he get Ando to slag off the Big Man too? Again without much substance.

Unread 18-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
He has started regularly the last few games tbf, Tete has done so for most of the season though. Same story really, Rafael far better going forward but Tete is a bit more solid defensively.

Lyon have as good as signed Dubois from Nantes in that position for next season though, so there’s talk of Rafael moving on.
Watched him a few times recently and he has definitely lost some of the pace he used to have. Pity, will always have 12/13 though

Bailly has a bit of Rafa to his game, the same lovable madness, hopefully it turns out a little better in the long term. Mou not really a lover of attacking full backs anyway, could sign Marcelo and he would not be fully released.

Unread 18-04-2018, 09:54 PM
red in cumbria

Thumbs up

Tibs attracted to this thread like a heat seeking missile

Unread 18-04-2018, 10:02 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Loved that lad
Great attitude

Best right back we’ve had since Nev got injured at home to Bolton

Unread 18-04-2018, 10:21 PM
AK14

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo called us and asked us to join United. He knew that Arsenal wanted us too, but we had given our word to United, and my parents said that was important. Nani was also there and the Brazilian Anderson, of course. Those three helped me, my brother and another Brazilian Rodrigo Possebon a lot because we couldn't speak any English."

"That didn't stop him [Anderson] offering to be my English teacher!. I'm serious. He would listen to someone then translate what he thought they had said. It was hilarious. He would get angry in games and try to speak, but he couldn't speak English. He'd get so frustrated."

Unread 18-04-2018, 10:22 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
agreed.

Me & saffers haven't agreed on much United wise lately, but there's never any cross words.
Too much water under the bridge. Too much RooRep exchanged down the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Loved that lad
Great attitude
loved him & his brother.
Proper little characters who wore the shirt with pride nqat
Closed Thread