United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Ask yourself if it had been Stevie G who had been sent off, how many would say on here he shouldn't have gone?
that's exactly the point. Ronaldo shouldn't have been sent off but if it had been Steven Gerrard I wouldn't give a £#%&!.

the difference is that many more people have strong feelings of resentment towards Ronaldo (and United in general) than they have against our rivals.

did you see the two-footed jump tackle by Terry on MotD? they didn't even replay the incident in their analysis.

Unread 01-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
that's exactly the point. Ronaldo shouldn't have been sent off but if it had been Steven Gerrard I wouldn't give a £#%&!.

the difference is that many more people have strong feelings of resentment towards Ronaldo (and United in general) than they have against our rivals.

did you see the two-footed jump tackle by Terry on MotD? they didn't even replay the incident in their analysis.
That's because we're the ones to beat. It's time to get upset when they stop blowing everything we do out of all proportion. We generate viewers and readers for your mates in the media, that's because we're £#%&!ing great, and deep down everyone knows it.

Unread 01-12-2008, 05:07 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
That's because we're the ones to beat. It's time to get upset when they stop blowing everything we do out of all proportion. We generate viewers and readers for your mates in the media, that's because we're £#%&!ing great, and deep down everyone knows it.
You can love us or you can hate us, but you can't £#%&!ing ignore us.

Unread 01-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Don Stuarte

You overlooked a few rules there

Cautionable Offences

A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of
the following seven offences:

• unsporting behaviour
• being black on a Friday night
• dissent by word or action
• wearing UG boots
• persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game
• delaying the restart of play
• deliberately wearing a Manchester United shirt and being good
• failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with
a corner kick, free kick or throw-in
• entering or re-entering the fi eld of play without the referee’s
permission
• deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s
permission

Unread 01-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Exactly

Unread 02-12-2008, 11:19 AM
The Return of JC

"Rooney took the corner, I jumped and that was when I heard a shout from Richards and simultaneously the sound of a whistle. I was convinced that the ref had blown for a foul. I stopped trying to head the ball and score a goal. I grabbed the ball so Richards could get help. It never entered my mind that the referee would show me another yellow card because, for me, I hadn’t done anything wrong. To the contrary, after Richards yelled I thought he was hurt and needed assistance."

Unread 02-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Yep. That was a terrible challenge from England's Prince of Hearts.

Unread 02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
antonin jablonsky

Ridiculous decision backed up by slightly camp scouse muppet.

Unread 02-12-2008, 11:37 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Ridiculous decision backed up by slightly camp scouse muppet.
nearly as ridiculous as Ronaldo's decision to not head the ball in.

I always try to defend United players, but I've never ever seen a player so blatantly handle the ball and get away with it (if the ref sees it). I don't see how this would be any different.

More outrageous was the fact that he was on a booking in the first place. The poor decision was the first, not the second.

Unread 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
nearly as ridiculous as Ronaldo's decision to not head the ball in.

I always try to defend United players, but I've never ever seen a player so blatantly handle the ball and get away with it (if the ref sees it). I don't see how this would be any different.

More outrageous was the fact that he was on a booking in the first place. The poor decision was the first, not the second.
Sorry but they were both terrible decisions by the ref. are you suggesting Ronaldo is lying when he says he heard a whistle by the way, if so why? There was no benefit in what he did and under the laws of the game it wasn't a booking.

I see we just about managed without O' Shea.

Unread 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Sorry but they were both terrible decisions by the ref. are you suggesting Ronaldo is lying when he says he heard a whistle by the way, if so why? There was no benefit in what he did and under the laws of the game it wasn't a booking.

I see we just about managed without O' Shea.
I never said we wouldn't manage without O'Shea.

I don't know whether Ronaldo is lying or not. Frankly, I don't care. What he thinks he heard is irrelevant. It's what he did that matters. And there's a little bit of boy who cried wolf here too. If he didn't think every single tiny little thing was a huge injustice, then maybe his innocent expression would wash a little better.

Before this happened, you got booked for deliberate handball. Now people are trawling the law book to defend him and it's suddenly 'to gain an advantage'. Fergie said he was protecting his face - that could be considered an advantage.
Can you recall another instance where someone has so blatantly handled the ball, had it seen by the ref, but not been booked?

You could say it was harsh, but to suggest it's ridiculous it's a bit out there - he punched the ball out of the sky with both hands! You weren't even the slightest bit worried that a second yellow would come out? I said 'he's off' the second he did it.

There was no benefit in not heading the ball in either. Why didn't he just do that?

Unread 02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
I never said we wouldn't manage without O'Shea.

I don't know whether Ronaldo is lying or not. Frankly, I don't care. What he thinks he heard is irrelevant. It's what he did that matters. And there's a little bit of boy who cried wolf here too. If he didn't think every single tiny little thing was a huge injustice, then maybe his innocent expression would wash a little better.

Before this happened, you got booked for deliberate handball. Now people are trawling the law book to defend him and it's suddenly 'to gain an advantage'. Fergie said he was protecting his face - that could be considered an advantage.
Can you recall another instance where someone has so blatantly handled the ball, had it seen by the ref, but not been booked?

You could say it was harsh, but to suggest it's ridiculous it's a bit out there - he punched the ball out of the sky with both hands! You weren't even the slightest bit worried that a second yellow would come out? I said 'he's off' the second he did it.

There was no benefit in not heading the ball in either. Why didn't he just do that?

It's not suddenly "to gain an advantage". It's always been there.

I think this just goes to show how few people actually fully understand the rules of the game. I should imagine every single ref would have sent Ronnie off for that handball, even though there is no specific rule he has actually broken.

I think almost everyone on here would have made the same decision on Sunday in the mistaken belief that deliberate handball is an automatic yellow card.

I don't think he needs defending, I think he just did something stupid and 99 times out of a hundred he would probably not have done it. If it was anyone else then there would not be half the fuss there is, the problem is when Cristiano is involved is it always polemic.

Unread 02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
latchfordbob

Quote:
I
Paulo Di Canio for West Ham v Everton

Unread 02-12-2008, 12:03 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchfordbob
Maradona?

Unread 02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Exactly. It's obvious summat external caused him to do what he did, he actually caused himself a disadvantage in doing it and there was no need to book him. Oh and you don't need to trawl anything to defend him, you just need to have common sense and know the rules. Surely that isn't too much to expect of a ref. Oh.

Unread 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchfordbob
The goalkeeper was lying down on the touchline and clearly needed treatment. No Man City player was that obviously injured on Saturday. Had Joe Hart been lying near the United bench, then I doubt Ronaldo would've been booked.

Similar situation, but not the same.

And Robbo, I know the rule is there, and frankly, I have absolutely no idea what advantage could've been gained. That's why it's so bizarre that he did it. But just as bizarre is his decision to not head the ball in. I don't have a problem with people citing the rule, but I can't believe people think it's 'ridiculous' that a player who punches the ball away with two hands is booked. So none of you thought for a second that he might get booked when he did it?

If he'd just headed it in then there'd be no debate and Webb wouldn't have a decision to make. For me, the fact that he didn't is far more ridiculous than Webb's decision.

And I find it very hard to believe that Ronaldo is that concerned by Micah Richards well being.

I can't help but feel we'd be pissing ourselves at Liverpool fans finding the same decision against Steven Gerrard ridiculous.

Unread 02-12-2008, 12:14 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Exactly. It's obvious summat external caused him to do what he did, he actually caused himself a disadvantage in doing it and there was no need to book him. Oh and you don't need to trawl anything to defend him, you just need to have common sense and know the rules. Surely that isn't too much to expect of a ref. Oh.
It didn't cause him to do it. He decided to do it. Why? If he thought the whistle had gone then what harm would heading the ball in the net do? The game would still stop. In fact, it was easier to do that than handle it. Why is he so eager to use his hands? What does he care whether the whistle has gone or not? Why is he rushing to stop the ball now that the whistle has gone? Head it! Duck if you want, but why on earth would he handle it? Why even take the risk.

Frankly, what a dick!

JUST HEAD IT!!

Unread 02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
And Robbo, I know the rule is there, and frankly, I have absolutely no idea what advantage could've been gained. That's why it's so bizarre that he did it. But just as bizarre is his decision to not head the ball in. I don't have a problem with people citing the rule, but I can't believe people think it's 'ridiculous' that a player who punches the ball away with two hands is booked. So none of you thought for a second that he might get booked when he did it?

If he'd just headed it in then there'd be no debate and Webb wouldn't have a decision to make. For me, the fact that he didn't is far more ridiculous than Webb's decision.

And I find it very hard to believe that Ronaldo is that concerned by Micah Richards well being.

I can't help but feel we'd be pissing ourselves at Liverpool fans finding the same decision against Steven Gerrard ridiculous.
I agree. Like I said I think we would all have reacted the same way as the ref had we been in that situation. I don't think there is a single person on this board who (hand on their heart with all honesty) wouldn't have booked a player for doing that had they been the ref.

TBH the whole thing is a bit boring now. The result is ronaldo is banned for a game he would not have played in anyway, and hopefully he will have learned the lesson and if in that situation again he will bury the header then worry about what he did or didn't hear.

Unread 02-12-2008, 12:17 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
It didn't cause him to do it. He decided to do it. Why? If he thought the whistle had gone then what harm would heading the ball in the net do? The game would still stop. In fact, it was easier to do that than handle it. Why is he so eager to use his hands? What does he care whether the whistle has gone or not? Why is he rushing to stop the ball now that the whistle has gone? Head it! Duck if you want, but why on earth would he handle it? Why even take the risk.

Frankly, what a dick!

JUST HEAD IT!!
You are very angry today.

Unread 02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
I agree. Like I said I think we would all have reacted the same way as the ref had we been in that situation. I don't think there is a single person on this board who (hand on their heart with all honesty) wouldn't have booked a player for doing that had they been the ref.

TBH the whole thing is a bit boring now. The result is ronaldo is banned for a game he would not have played in anyway, and hopefully he will have learned the lesson and if in that situation again he will bury the header then worry about what he did or didn't hear.
Agreed. The comforting factor is that we haven't actually paid for it in any way. Each time I see it, I just can't believe he doesn't head it!
He's so good at that. He does it so often. You can even see him point to Vidic: He tells him to run to the back post, he darts to the front, into the space, up he goes, towering leap, now go and finish the game, 2-0, done! Game over! Relax for 20 minutes...Hang on, what are you doing?! Nooooooooo!......
Closed Thread