United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Whalefish

Default Re: The Cougar will return in 4 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
was he mistaken for the Da Silva's Dad?
Not with his straight hair, no.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:19 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
He could indeed. Then he just has to beat him for value for money, although we might have to wait a while for that to happen.
Already done that though, i mean jagielka would've been cheaper but not got in the team, which would've been entirely pointless and a complkete waste of money. Hargo at least played 38 games in his first season and helped us win the PL and CL.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:20 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Not with his straight hair, no.
Has he been to Ginners hair stylist then?

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
We're going to have to 'manage' him, like spurs do with King.
Not if the operation has gone well. If it hasn't we only have ourselves to blame anyway.

Analogy time
If you had a bungie cord that perishing through use but could magically repair itself would you keep on using it and patching it up with masking tape in hope it didn't snap or let it sort itself out?

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Has he been to Ginners hair stylist then?

It was on RN the other day.

from RN reader Nicholas

good news...about 20 minutes into the game last night, Owen Hargreaves came bounding up the steps of the Directors Box to sit with those players who were in the match squad but not slelected...you could tell that none of the players had seen him since his return...Anderson, Fletcher, VDS, Park and Evra went mental when they saw him; this was followed by an array of high fives, knuckle touches etc...

NB: Owen Hargreaves now straightens his hair!

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:30 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Already done that though, i mean jagielka would've been cheaper but not got in the team, which would've been entirely pointless and a complkete waste of money. Hargo at least played 38 games in his first season and helped us win the PL and CL.
Pure supposition, Jagielka would have made plenty of apearences if he had moved to united for the snip fee of 4 million quid and I don't really remember Hargo being that influential in the champs league, put in a couple of good shifts at right back but nothing match winning.

Now back to value for money Hargo cost 17 million quid and gets 80 grand a week. He has been at the team for 848 days today which is just over 121 weeks. That's 9.7million quid in pay. Add those together and take the 37 appearences he has made in the red shirt and we get 722 grand a game. Now I like Hargo but I think that maybe, just maybe that is a bit too much for a player whose main strength is a high workrate.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:33 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Pure supposition, Jagielka would have made plenty of apearences if he had moved to united for the snip fee of 4 million quid and I don't really remember Hargo being that influential in the champs league, put in a couple of good shifts at right back but nothing match winning.

Now back to value for money Hargo cost 17 million quid and gets 80 grand a week. He has been at the team for 848 days today which is just over 121 weeks. That's 9.7million quid in pay. Add those together and take the 37 appearences he has made in the red shirt and we get 722 grand a game. Now I like Hargo but I think that maybe, just maybe that is a bit too much for a player whose main strength is a high workrate.
Nah, couldn't get in the Everton midfield, let alone ours, too slow to play fullback and wouldn't get in at centreback. Complete waste of a signing he'd have been and tbh, it was better for him to go to Everton and play at his level. Given how much you like him I am surprised you want to derail his career like that?

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:35 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Nah, couldn't get in the Everton midfield, let alone ours, too slow to play fullback and wouldn't get in at centreback. Complete waste of a signing he'd have been and tbh, it was better for him to go to Everton and play at his level.
Rather than come to united and not play? Just like Hargo.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:37 PM
marlo

'ready to go for the new season' has now become 'ready in november'

oh owen hargreaves.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:37 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Rather than come to united and not play? Just like Hargo.
But Hargreaves did play, 38 games in his first season, gaining a PL and CL trophy in the process?

Why you'd want Jagielka to come and not play enough to even qualify for a medal I have no idea, better he play regularly at a level more suited to his limited skills I say. He'll have a nice little career at Everton.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:38 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
'ready to go for the new season' has now become 'ready in november'

oh owen hargreaves.
4 weeks would suggest October, rather than November but either way, it's good news don't you agree.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:48 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish

It was on RN the other day.

from RN reader Nicholas

good news...about 20 minutes into the game last night, Owen Hargreaves came bounding up the steps of the Directors Box to sit with those players who were in the match squad but not slelected...you could tell that none of the players had seen him since his return...Anderson, Fletcher, VDS, Park and Evra went mental when they saw him; this was followed by an array of high fives, knuckle touches etc...

NB: Owen Hargreaves now straightens his hair!
That's another six months.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:49 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
That's another six months.
that's encouraging. bet it's been a while since he bounded.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:51 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
that's encouraging. bet it's been a while since he bounded.
Can't see him bounding two flights or stairs in a week though, can you?

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:52 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Can't see him bounding two flights or stairs in a week though, can you?
dunno, I'd expect Dr Steadman has given him full instructions on his rehab, including any restrictions on bounding.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:54 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
But Hargreaves did play, 38 games in his first season, gaining a PL and CL trophy in the process?

Why you'd want Jagielka to come and not play enough to even qualify for a medal I have no idea, better he play regularly at a level more suited to his limited skills I say. He'll have a nice little career at Everton.
He played 34 games, 23 in the league and 8 in europe with a couple of cup games. He was a steady performer and even got 2 goals but I still think that as he played nearly half of those games at right back where Super Jags can and has played well in the past paying £722,000 per game is a little bit steep.
I have no doubt (seeing as we are dealing in supposition) that with the excess money that United would have gained by then spending the spare money another signing would have been affordable that would have gained us the same trophies without him. You'd think Sir Alex would have been a bit more cautious signing a player who'd played less games in the last 2 seasons before he was signed than Saha had managed in the 1 previous.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:56 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
dunno, I'd expect Dr Steadman has given him full instructions on his rehab, including any restrictions on bounding.
I'm going to start working the phrase 'Cougar Bounding' into everyday conversation. Here I come, world....

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:57 PM
sudored

Whats the rush? if he came back in January in time for the FA cup and champions league knock outs it would be fine! no need to rush the guy IMO.

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:57 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
He played 34 games, 23 in the league and 8 in europe with a couple of cup games. He was a steady performer and even got 2 goals but I still think that as he played nearly half of those games at right back where Super Jags can and has played well in the past paying £722,000 per game is a little bit steep.
I have no doubt (seeing as we are dealing in supposition) that with the excess money that United would have gained by then spending the spare money another signing would have been affordable that would have gained us the same trophies without him. You'd think Sir Alex would have been a bit more cautious signing a player who'd played less games in the last 2 seasons before he was signed than Saha had managed in the 1 previous.
I just don't understand why you are so keen to destroy Jagielka's career by sitting him on Uniteds bench rather than having the nice little career he's got at Everton? I thought you liked him.

i also don't get why you are so unenthusiastic about Hargreaves possible return from his injury hell. It's seems very churlish?

Unread 25-09-2009, 12:59 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudored
Whats the rush? if he came back in January in time for the FA cup and champions league knock outs it would be fine! no need to rush the guy IMO.
I don't get this, he's come back too late for marlo 'cos he "should've been back in August" and too early for you 'cos he should wait 'til January? What should he do, if he's fit again, until January and what benefit would it have?
Closed Thread