United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Whalefish

Default Re: Fergie's Press Conference today...

Saucer of milk, table for two?

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:20 PM
jem

Default the veron sale

was due to misunderstanding between parties and fergie going on holiday at the wrong time. it was not because veron was angling for an out. nor about chelsea's money. nor about passports or going back to italy.

it was an accident.

a tragic accident, too. he was just about to shine. not that I am suggesting he did not shine previously. he did, but some people are too blind to see that.

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:21 PM
jem

Default with or without veron

keane should have been told to play like makelele and stay the £#%&! out of the opposition half.

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:25 PM
BarryX

Default Re: the veron sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
was due to misunderstanding between parties and fergie going on holiday at the wrong time. it was not because veron was angling for an out. nor about chelsea's money. nor about passports or going back to italy.

it was an accident.

a tragic accident, too. he was just about to shine. not that I am suggesting he did not shine previously. he did, but some people are too blind to see that.
I liked Veron a lot, too, but the proof in the pudding is what he achieved after he was sold by the holidaying/non holidaying Ferguson. bugger all, really. if he was a truly great player, I am sure we would have seen it after he left. we didn't...

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
I liked Veron a lot, too, but the proof in the pudding is what he achieved after he was sold by the holidaying/non holidaying Ferguson. bugger all, really. if he was a truly great player, I am sure we would have seen it after he left. we didn't...
On that basis we shouldn't have sold Forlan but he would never have cut it at United. Who knows what we did to Veron's confidence.

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Billy Baroo

veron was shite

get your head round it

shite i say

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:32 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
veron was shite

get your head round it

shite i say
I am too busy posting photos of cats to answer this right now.

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
veron was shite

get your head round it

shite i say
I wish you'd said this earlier, for years I've thought selling him was a mistake.

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I am too busy posting photos of cats to answer this right now.
hello

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:35 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

it was an accident.

Except that he was sold during the tour of America, where he was with SAF and had been back in training for 2-3 weeks. Plenty of time to stop any 'accidental' transfer.

I agree with the fact we should have kept him, but he did miss the vast majority of the following season so we probably did the right thing.

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:37 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
On that basis we shouldn't have sold Forlan but he would never have cut it at United. Who knows what we did to Veron's confidence.
Who says that we 'did' anything? Just being at a club like United, with our expectations and demands, is like being thrown in at the deep end of football. Some have the psyche to deal with it (RVN), some don't, that's all.

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Who says that we 'did' anything? Just being at a club like United, with our expectations and demands, is like being thrown in at the deep end of football. Some have the psyche to deal with it (RVN), some don't, that's all.
Keane has admitted that he treated him like shit. He wasn't welcomed into the squad probably because Keane thought he might replace him. He said he used to go for long walks at night on his own just to think things through, I felt for the guy tbh. We paid a shit load for a world class player who was outperforming Zidane in the same league and a couple of years later sold an empty shell of a footballer.

jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Except that he was sold during the tour of America, where he was with SAF and had been back in training for 2-3 weeks. Plenty of time to stop any 'accidental' transfer.

I agree with the fact we should have kept him, but he did miss the vast majority of the following season so we probably did the right thing.
he was sold after the tour.

Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I'm pretty sure it was during. Didn't he fly home to sign?

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:43 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
The deal was practically done right after the Juventus game and that pass I was gutted. I was convinced he was about to really come to the fore for us. It may have been the last game of the tour and they flew home, it was done within a few days though.

The point was, that if he wanted to stay and Fergie wanted to keep him so badly, they had 3 weeks to sort it out between them whilst away. They didn't. Neither were really that arsed then were they? Fergie certainly wasn't on holiday while the tour was going on.

Edit: Also, we had just signed Kleberson and Djemba, so we had too many midfielders really.

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:45 PM
dunk

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was during. Didn't he fly home to sign?
I thought that. Didn't we then go and play Sporting and sign Ronaldo and he went home to sign for Chelsea?

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:45 PM
jem

Quote:
The deal was practically done right after the Juventus game and that pass I was gutted. I was convinced he was about to really come to the fore for us. It may have been the last game of the tour and they flew home, it was done within a few days though.

The point was, that if he wanted to stay and Fergie wanted to keep him so badly, they had 3 weeks to sort it out between them whilst away. They didn't. Neither were really that arsed then were they? Fergie certainly wasn't on holiday while the tour was going on.
it was a mistake. I have the inside track on this.

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Spiffy

Quote:

Remember the press conference whilst abroad? The press asked Fergie about Veron going to Chelsea and he replied that if he was going to Chelsea he wasn't aware of it and nobody had told him. 48 hours later he was a Chelsea player.

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:46 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it was a mistake. I have the inside track on this.
It's the only reason that will allow you to sleep at night isn't it?

Unread 22-09-2009, 11:47 PM
dunk

Quote:
Remember the press conference whilst abroad? The press asked Fergie about Veron going to Chelsea and he replied that if he was going to Chelsea he wasn't aware of it and nobody had told him. 48 hours later he was a Chelsea player.
Vaguely. He's done that before though
Closed Thread